SaltCritters.com

Acrylic Nanocube & Launch of the Nanocustoms Cube

ccjung

Hi Chris:

I would be down for a 24 gal.I just hope it matches the foot print. My custom built stand and canopy are an exact fit and I would really hate to have to rebuild, especially since I just completed them a couple of weeks ago. My cube is looking awesome and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it holds up until the new cubes are out. I also appreciate the input and suggestions you gave me during my building process. Your product support and customer service are unparalleled.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, this "super-cube" is sounding... well...SUPER! Can't wait to send Chris my 0.02 + a lot more for one of these beasts!!! :D Chris tell me when and I'll have funds en route. You know me, I get nothing but the best. ;)

Hey Chris -

Here are some more of my name suggestions for you for "Super Cube"

1) Incredi-Cube

2) iCube

3) Notta Nano Cube

So will "Super" be WIFI-G compatible? I'd hate to have to buy a new wireless router on top of the RO/DI Filter, Kitchen Faucet and Dremel I've already had to buy to enjoy this hobby! :D{HA!)

1)AquaCube

2)AquaNaut

3)CrackBeNought

Count me in as a beta tester Chris. I have that tape on my crack. Reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, " I hope your strength holds out."

"I hope my TAIL holds out! " SH

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Chris!

Unforutnately I'm not in the market, with the :bling: I just put into new my tank.

Excellent news and good business decision.

I actually was looking for an acrylic cube tank similar to a nano, but could not find one. Please keep me posted as I am very interested in purchasing one. I will be one of your first orders. I have two little girls at home and all this talk (and possibility) of having my new 24g break scares me. The insurance of avoiding any bad water-electrical situation is priceless in my house!

Hey Chris,

Put me down for a 24g. I've always been a big fan of acrylic. Especially in earthquake country.

thanks, robert

Nano cube 6gal

Purchased from Tong's on 6/18

It cracked on 6/20

If you get these acrylic cubes chris Im willing to pay a good chunk of change to get a tank that doesnt crack and leak all over my computer desk.

Originally posted by steelhealr

24 Gallon NC DX with LEDs

crack not present on arrival

Purchased over Ebay

Purchased 3/05, setup 4/05

Although I purchased mine over Ebay, I hope you will support me along with the others who have suffered a crack

What happened to the guys your bought it from? Shouldnt they be going to bat for you?

Sparkling_Surfer

I'd buy one in a heartbeat! I think this is a wonderful idea...any clue as to when it will be available? I know it is still in designs, but maybe a wild estimate?

Thanks!!! :D

To Randy O....the company that sold me the NC was an aquarium store in NC. I emailed them and am waiting a response. 3 out of 4 auction winners suffered cracked cubes including mine. BTW, JBJ is honoring the warranty and replacing my tank. SH

SH...start the "build your own Nano" thread...it will be bigger than the newbie thread!!! Just use the same upper dimensions as the cubes, that way everyone can switch their hoods over and save substantial coin. Just list the acrylic/glass sizes and the silcone used...wow, that's hard! Include plans for tanks with or without an additional rear fuge. Why buy when most everyone does so much work to their Cubes anyway?? Its not brain coral surgery......is it?

shao-lin nano

hey chris,

it's mid week now, have you had your meeting yet with the makers of acrylic cube or have any new developments to share with us?

Trumph...hmmmm....hmmmm....now THAT would be interesting. Acrylic would be easiest to work with..but then...isn't Chris working on that one for us??? Hey Chris..come back ...where are you? SH

Chris, if at all possible... if you are going to mock-up the nano-cube design, it would be great if you can get that false panel to have grooved teeth for overflow into the back, and of course have it so that it acts similar to a "sump" type compartment. this way at least we can achieve sufficient surface skimming without compromising aesthetics with the existing cubes from JBJ (IMHO, that's one mod they should've implemented a long time ago but failed to take advantage of) :)

i do have 1 question though... will this new "Acryli-Cube" have the plastic trim on the top and bottom of the tank, which the existing Nano-Cubes have?

Originally posted by trumph

SH...start the "build your own Nano" thread...it will be bigger than the newbie thread!!! Just use the same upper dimensions as the cubes, that way everyone can switch their hoods over and save substantial coin. Just list the acrylic/glass sizes and the silcone used...wow, that's hard! Include plans for tanks with or without an additional rear fuge. Why buy when most everyone does so much work to their Cubes anyway?? Its not brain coral surgery......is it?

u can't use silicone to bond the acrylic panels. one good reason to leave it to the pros. ;)

good luck w/ the acrylic nc endeavor, chris.

Hi Chris (and everyone on this terrific forum),

I'm new to nano-reef but have been keeping reefs for 15 years including a 8 year old 25g acrylic U.S. Aquarium flat back hex (spoke with you yesterday Chris). Two days ago I walked into a LFS and saw a 12g Nano for the first time and loved the look and was amazed it was glass and not acrylic. I'm very disappointed to hear about all the cracking issues. As someone who has kept acrylic tanks for 15 years I'll share my .02 :

1. I've never thought twice about any leaking from the stock tank - only mods that I have done like bulkheads.

2. You will become intimate with a product called Micro-Mesh sandpaper. You can sand out scratches from a tank that is stocked. As a side bonus you get to skip any arm workouts you do at the gym for that day.

3. The bent corners look great on an acrylic tank.

4. Be VERY careful cleaning - a little sand on the buff pad will leave scratches. That's one of the things that appealed to me about the glass nano. Oh well.

Good luck Chris with the new cube.

David

Just a thought - you could even offer acrylic cubes in different heights which would still fit the stock hoods. Personally though, I think you should offer a seperate empty hood (extra tall) that would fit the acrylic cube that could fit and handle the heat of MH lighting.

shao-lin nano

If it were "tall" it wouldn't be considered a cube anymore...it would have to be called nano rectangular cube.;)

Still waiting on a prototype, but we are going in a few formats with the same general shape of the nanocube and hinge/trim ring..

We are doing:

6/12/24 in normal height

12/24 in Tall format (3 Inches Taller)

12/24 in Shallow Format (3 Inches Shorter).

Expecting to have a prototype done sometime this week.

I will keep you posted.

Chris

I hate to be the one throwing in cold-water but....

If you are making a custom cube then why not make it with your own design chris?

WHats the point of making cube identical to nanocubes? So you can buy the tank, plus the jbj cube so you can ditch the tank and the lighting in the hood? So you are paying all that money for the plastic hood?

I mean I have commited to NC6 now, and I like it. I understand cracking is the concern but, I really don't see a point of acrylic cube. Besides, I think glass tank is much better then acrylic anyways.

Chris, I have talked with you and you are a brilliant guy! Incorporate your ideas and make you own ultimate cube! I think thats better way to go!

Archived