Cultivated Reef

Can i keep a clam in my 10g

lilreef

Blind Tree Frog

Depends on the breed. Some will grow too large for the tank like the ultra's or whatever they are called. Others will stay small.

Remember though that the small clams are filter feeders and not photosynthetic so much. So you'll need to make sure that you will have appropriate food (DT instead of crypto I believe is required). This is regardless of species.

Originally posted by lilreef

can i put a small clam in my ten gallon :P  

i have 75 watt MH and Moonlights ???

I have never heard of a 75w MH. Is this something new?

???

Bob

NewbieReefer

yea, just make sure you have plenty of light. I have three in a 10 gallon. Maxima's i think would be best, gigas grow huge and fast, squamosas are big already usually, and derasas and crocea are also good but i just think maxima's are the best.

clams can be very tricky creatures, many say you need halides a big tank and pristine water conditions to keep one. my recommedation would be to keep you water as close to NSW as possible, control variance as much as possible, supplement with feedings and keep it close to the top. i know many who keep croceas and derasa clams under compacts so i've come to believe lighting is not as much of an issue as water chemistry can overall care is.

Blind Tree Frog
Originally posted by bobioden

I have never heard of a 75w MH. Is this something new?

???  

Bob

They've been around long enough that I've known about them. So at least a year.
Cellenzweig
clams can be very tricky creatures, many say you need halides a big tank and pristine water conditions to keep one.
I would agree that halides are important for clams to thrive. I don't agree that you need a big tank, nor do I agree that you need pristine water conditions. Infact, clams actually seem to prefer tanks with some level of nitrates.
Originally posted by Blind Tree Frog

They've been around long enough that I've known about them.   So at least a year.

Really, Where have you ever seen one? 75 Watt??

???

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I think a crocea would be a better choice for a 10 gallon, not that a clam is going to get enough calcium to grow significantly....

It'll outgrow it in months.

bonecrusher71

This is going to blow your mind i have a clam not sure what kind bought it when it was small kept it in my 5.5g tank along with my

digitata montipora(spelling)torch toadstool leather candycane zooas

some other tree looking leather button polyps.

all are growing and doing fine under pc lights 68w total

recently moved all to 20g long tank because of growth issues.

ohh yeah the clam is a orange brown collor w blue edges.

have tried to post pictures but wont let me?any help would be cool

thanks in advance.

Christopher Pearson

you'd want a deresa. very good clam & easy to care for barry of clamsdirect.com will certianly help you. he is the leading seller of clams and has been doing this for over 15 years. very nice guy, talk to him on what you would like.

A derasa will quickly outgrow the tank. Croceas and Maximas MUST have metal halide lighting... The former has the highest light demands of any clam.

Originally posted by bonecrusher71

i have a clam not sure what kind. ...

all are growing and doing fine under pc lights 68w total

recently moved all to 20g long tank because of growth issues.

ohh yeah the clam is a orange brown collor w blue edges.

most likely a derasa. does it look like that:

11967DSCN1918-med.JPG

i have it for a few months and it grows very fast. sucks a lot of alk and cal.

bonecrusher71

Yeah thats it same color and every thing nice pic wish i could post

pictures but none will save this sucks i have nice pictures to show you guys some help would be cool

thanks in advance.

Archived