ReefCleaners.org

10g clam tank?

reef101

i use to have a 40g reef, but since i dont have the space in my room anymore i want to set up a 10g, clam only tank. I was wondering if this is possible? what kind of filtration would i need? I have a 175watt MH and actinics, skimmer,powerheads, heater...what else should i run to make this work. thanks

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Someone else can probably explain better than I can.

qwertyuiop

Here, ill help,

All clams that i know of grow over 8 inches, and if your want even at least 2 clams in there, they will outgrow the tank. If you get them small, and sell them before they get big, that would be fine.

Good Luck though! ;)

i was planning on just on getting a couple of maxima's around 1.5 - 2 inches when their still small, and i know their growth rate isn't outrageous, and as time passes i probably want to set up a larger clam tank.

Well, also keep in mind that the smaller clams are harder to keep than the larger ones. Among other things, they need more feedings, and that would affect water quality. Much less dilution in a smaller tank, more risk of crashes, or at least bad water quality..

any other input from anyone? i only plan on having a sand bed, with no LR. would cycling still take as long. i also plan on having a 5 gallong sump for more water quantity, where i'll also locate the heater and such.

get a calcium or kalk reactor. i've found dosing calcium often doesn't keep up with clams.

not too much flow is needed imo.

you may want to opt for some crushed coral instead of sand. this contrary to typical but you're running clam-only so i figure based upon that the cc may actually be preferred in this particular instance. the nitrates that usually develop from the trapped detritus should aid clam growth as their symbionts use to feed the clam. you may not need the skimmer after a while, i.e. when the young clams grow up and don't rely so much on feedings anymore.

a "trick" you may want to try, being this is a really specialized case (clam-only), is siliconing a piece of the glass cover underneath the frame. located at the intended water level/surface. the typical AGA covers come as two panes with the useless (imho) vinyl connector as their hinge. strip the vinyl off and just use one pane of glass.

the point of the pane is to allow you to view the clams clearly from the top view. there would be no water surface disturbances or shimmer (the other uncovered portion should still be sufficient for that shimmer effect overall tho). the viewing effect is like looking thru a diver's mask and gives the best view for clams imo, i.e. top-down. good luck!

Archived