SaltCritters.com

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

Undertheradar

until it looks like so. Then remove the assembly...the pipe needs to get drilled or all that water goes nowhere...

post-7237-1132336093_thumb.jpg

post-7237-1132336121_thumb.jpg

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undertheradar

First, you can add another piece of pipe to the elbow, and slip a piece of the 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD hose over this...this is where the pump attaches. Now as for drilling the pipe...

If you go the asperating venturi route...a single 1/2" hole works best. (Left)

If you go with the injection spraybar, drill 3 holes like so in the center. These holes should be anywhere between 5/64, 3/32, or 7/64...just try your pump on the smallest and work your way larger until you get a good mixture & bubble-count. (Right)

NOTE: if you go the injection route, you will need to add the air inlet to the skimmer housing (injection chamber) as mentioned in the diagram section previously.

post-7237-1132336155_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

now for drilling the overflow... Start by drilling a 1/2" hole at the highest point you can. Plug in the skimmer and see how it does. If the water level in the skimmer is too high continue to enlarge the hole downward until the water level drops. For the asperating model, the water level in the injector is not an issue. Just worry about the water level in the foam riser area. FWIW, you might want to test the skimmer out both ways, so you know you can always convert it w/o modification (just open/close the injection chamber valve...add/remove the asperating intake from the pump...swap out the spraybar/port) downt the road. The asperating works better, but I will admit that the injection one is silent...and the asperating does make some noise.

post-7237-1132336230_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

This might vary from person to person, but I like to use 1" acrylic pipe (3/4" ID). I cut a 1" piece of it and bond it over the outlet hole.

I also add a piece of the 1" wide acrylic to over the hole, and bond it. Then I drill it a bit to give it a dip in the center. This piece keeps the water flowing into the tank, instead of sticking to the underside of the pipe as it flows out and into the tank...making the skimmer leak all over the floor. It also cuts down on noise.

post-7237-1132336267_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

Here it is in action...

see how the little flap on the outlet directs the water? This is also where a sponge on the outlet could be added. Simply using a rubber-band to strap a sponge scrap to the plate as the water runs over it would eliminate microbubbles the same way so many other skimmers do with sponges on their standpipes.

post-7237-1132336316_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

To help hang the skimmer on the tank, take a piece of 1" x 2" acrylic and bond it too the side to hold the skimmer level...

post-7237-1132336358_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

next drill the hole for the skimmate drain. The size will vary, but you can either drill the hole to fit an air-valve, or to place the air-line in directly. This air-line is use to drain the skimmate into another container, as the skimmate does not have a removable collection cup.

post-7237-1132336385_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

so the skimmer works like so. Slide the 1" x 3.5" piece across the top for a lid and plug it in! (Note: The skimmer is 18" tall in this case so it was too tall to actually sit on the 10g its running on...so its 2" above the lip...but you get the picture)

post-7237-1132343127_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

Well, I think thats all. What else is there to show...? Well. How about the venturi? The Hagen powerhead is nice because you can simply jamb a piece of flexible air line into the inlet and it sucks air in very well. Be sure to put a valve on the hose with any pump you use because many can pull in too much air and choke the pump.

For those of you who want to use a Maxi-jet...

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=Maxijet

Marine Depot sells the intake kit as well, the official one...but its almost $6 and MD is out of stock on it right now.

post-7237-1132343216_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

And here's an in-sump model. Its 16" tall, just tall enough to stand in a 10g sump and scum-drain over the edge. The pump is plumbed through the bottom, and the standpipe outlet is plumbed the same way just below the pump's inlet.

post-7237-1132343280_thumb.jpg

post-7237-1132343439_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

I also made this one to run my 40Breeder. It measures 20"h, 1.5"deep, 4" wide and is powered by a RIO 600 mixing pump. It really sucks out alot of scum. During the curing process of the LR, it pulled out a whole gallon of coffee in a week! Its my el-cheapo Euro-reef Clone. Who says skimmers need to be round?!?! Maybe a larger version, like 8"x8"x20"tall with a Sedra pump should be next...

post-7237-1132343516_thumb.jpg

Undertheradar

Whats next? Well...let me see if I can make 100 of these, and if so...how much they would cost.

Otherwise, I was thinking of making a injector version big enough to take out a remora, powered off of a Mag3 or something, 1/4" plexi HOB. Same basic design, but bigger...or maybe make it asperating and use a sedra pump. 6" x 2" x 20" high?

So what do you guys think? Did I miss much? Let me know and I can add it in.

Regards,

Jon (aka wetworx, aka undertheradar, aka Herbert T. Kornfeld)

post-7237-1132343640_thumb.jpg

Carl_in_Florida

First on the list.

I got $8 burning a hole in my pocket for one of these. ;)

Seriously, tagging on so i can get one.

Carl

I wish you were alot closer. but im willing to spend a decent chunk of change if it works like you says it does. great product.

This is one of the best threads ever posted.

Great job Undertheradar. I'm glad you got this organized and layed out, as that other thread was getting messy!

Mods need to sticky this under DIY !!!! (I will put it in my newbie thread too!)

ojyarumaru

I'm about to give up on this project. I can't find 1/2" CPVC, and I drilled a hole in the back side acrylic at the wrong place. The acrylic ONLY cost me $17 (cut into exact measurements cause I dont have the right tools to cut it). Prolly would've been better off just buying a skimmer..(for me, that is)

On pg 21 of the old thread, you give some dimentions on making the injector style skimmers for larger tanks. Should I be looking at those same dimentions for the larger venturi style, as I noticed the smaller venturi style is a different dimmention as the injector.

BTW thanks for finaly getting this thread out.

One humble suggestion: if you're about to make 100 of these, it would be worth it to go to the extra effort to find black cpvc instead of white, if such a thing exists. I think it would look sleeker that way. JMO, though

Undertheradar

$8...LOL. Everyone, we now know that Carl is on something...

Well, if you are interested, I could sell the acrylic to build one for cheap. $6 + shipping sound fair? I would include two 3x14 pieces, five 1"x14" (to be cut into all the various internals, cover, ends, etc.), and one 2.75"x1.5" piece for the bottom.

doody,

Im not quite sure what you are asking. Can you put it another way? I looked at p.21. All I can say is that there are many ways of making this thing larger. Maybe you should just tell me what you want to do...

Basicly, I want to build some that will handle more than 20g. In the second to last post on pg 21, you tell how you built one for someones 40g breeder. however that was for the injection style skimmer. I wanna build venturi skimmers that'll handle bigger tanks.

Archived