inTank Media Baskets

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Undertheradar

Same, but 6" wide to accomidate the extra baffles needed and 1/4" plexi you want to use.  So 1.5" x 6" x 20".

What extra baffles?

blastprimo

I think he is talking about the extra pieces of plastic on the inside that are needed for the hang on skimmer vs the in-sump skimmer. The in-sump onlyhas one piece inside of it and the hang on one has a few more if you look at the diagrams on page 1(hang-on) and page 3(in-sump-I think)

I'll see if I can get a picture... It is collecting brownish foam right above where the bubbles all rise to the surface. It just never spils over into the collection area.

Undertheradar

plastprimo, you are exactly right...also add in the fact that the in sump one can be made with 1/8" plexi, and the HOB needs stronger/thicker 1/4" plexi...so that takes up some side-to-side space.

Xytrix01, I await the photos...

blastprimo

I am getting closer on my in-sump version. I have the plexi all together and one set of holes for the return line done. The set for the pump inlet is drilled to 1/2". All i have left is to drill a skimmate hole, widen the new holes to 5/8", and get the standpipe return line to the right height. Should be good. I'll post pics when I need help "tuning" this bad boy.

Undertheradar

luckily, tuning it is very simple for 2 reasons. One, the mixing system doesnt need an injection chamber with a certain water level to maintain. Second, the only adjusting youll need to do is via the standpipe...pretty easy. Theres a reason why Euroreefs, ASM, Deltecs, etc. sell so well.

blastprimo

Ok,

Since I have never had a skimmer on one of my tanks that actually worked, I need help and to get some ideas. Is the water level too high, do I have enough bubbles and will bubbles slowly get higher and higher here? It is in the section of my sump that has my drain line from my tank. Should it matter that it is in a very high turnover area?

EDIT: I am using a Maxi 400 with an air line jammed in the intake right next to the impeller.

12720skim1.jpg

another pic:

12720skim2.jpg

blastprimo

Ok, I figured one thing out...If i limit the amount of air going into the pump through the line, I can get the bubbles to rise. I need a little air control on that bad boy.

Ok, heres some pix. You can see that there is green nasty stuff stuck all over the sides above where the bubbles come to the surface, but that's all the higher they'll go.

Undertheradar, could I possibly have you cut the acrylic pieces needed to make a venturi model skimmer and mail them to me? I could assemble them and attach the CPVC, hose, O-rings, pump (I'd use a rio), etc.? I am new to the forum and have a 5-gallon Regent Bowfront nano to use it on.

Undertheradar

blastprimo,

those pics look good. Just give it some time to break in. Often the mfg oils that are on the plastics take a bit to dissolve and that disrupts the skimmer's abilities for a bit. One way to speed it up is to wash the skimmer's body in hot water for a bit...this seems to remove the oil rather well.

Xytrix01

Can you give me a close-up of the injection chamber...is this skimmer the injection one or the asperating venturi?

Do they ahve cpvc at HD? i just got all my acrylic pieces cut today at HD. i got...

2- 3 x 14s

2- 1 x 13.75s

1- 1 x 2

1- 1 x 11.5

1- 1 x 4.25

1- 1.5 x 3

1- 1 x 3.5

i used the measurements from a pic on page 1. now i need to glue and drill. i will prolly get it done by this weekend. Also did u get weld on #3 at HD?

as far as I can tell you just move the baffles a little and drill a larger hole. Don't trust me on this though, because mine isn't working and that could be the problem...

Undertheradar

Volvoman, send me a PM and let me know which one you want. I would rather talk 1 on 1 and not take up more space than needed here for a transaction.

Xytrix, ok, asperating venturi version...Im not so concerned with the injection chamber anymore, but it might help so post it anyways. I am interested in seeing the pump &intake however. What pump are you using, and how is the air getting in there?

ok, you may laugh, but here goes...

The pump is a Via-Aqua 180 pump I got from ebay. It claims to pump about 70gph.

Link here

To get the air into the unit I drilled a hole in the intake screen cover big enought to fit a peice of air tubing. I pushed the tube in till it touched the impeller, then backed it out a tiny bit.

I think that it may not be pushing enough flow. Now that I think about it, introducing the air to the impeller chaimber is probably reducing the GPH qiute a bit... D'OH!X) Mabey I need a bigger pump.

I have it adjusted right now so that the water level in the injector chamber is at the very bottom of the baffle. I can raise it by opening the green valve and letting some of the air out, but that drops the water level in the whole skimmer and I thought that to be bad considering my problem.

Archived