inTank Media Baskets

Wetworx Nano-skimmers!!!

Undertheradar

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undertheradar

The in sump version...20" x 1.5" x 4" (bottom of page 2) that I show uses a RIO RVT600. As far as HOB versions, I dont know yet, because I am making a larger HOB, but it requires 1/4" plexi, and as long as Im at it it will have a removable collection cup as well...just havent gotten to it yet. Instead of a RIO600 I will prolly use a MJ1200.

The reason for the delay is that in an attempt to make the skimmer as small as possible, yet keep micro-bubbles down, I am tinkering with various recirculating HOB & in-sump mods. That way the throughput on the skimmer is kept low and the microbubbles escaping are minimal, yet the skimmer can stay small and recycle the water through the pump multiple times before it returns to the system. Less throughput means less bubbles flowing all the way down to the outlet and through the overflow...while allowing for incredible amounts of bubbles in the main chamber.

tonyrodrigues

I guess its safer just to go with the maxi jet 400 + venturi kit for the HOB ver. Rio has double the GPH might have to much power for a skimmer that size?

Undertheradar

the rio is waaay too much for the nano-skimmer. You could use the rio if you doubled the skimmers size and used 1/4" acrylic to make it.

Wow. I just read the whole original thread (all of it!), and this whole thread. Just wow. :blink:

A couple of questions before I try to put one of the venturi style together though:

1) I am making it as an add on for my HOB AC500 fuge on my MB7. I will be putting it on the side where the intake is. So it is kind of a hang on the side skimmer of a hang on the back filter, lol! I want to plumb it directly through the side of the AC500 with a MaxiJet 400 as the pump. The water level in the AC500 on the MB7 is 13 7/8" from the stand. Can I put the overflow at 14", and have a total height of 19" (the overflow would be 5" from the top of the skimmer, like in the first plans). Or should I just make the whole thing shorter and set it on a pedestal? I kkind of got the impression that higher was better when doing the venturi style, yes? Here's a quick MS paint schematic of my idea (looking from front of tank as if tank was invisable):

10404skimmer_setup.JPG

does my overflow need to be as long as I have drawn it in the above diagram? I did it so less water would be reskimmed...???

2) When you glue the front on, I see you use capillary action on the edges, but do you lay a little bead of WO #16 on the edges of the interior baffles, or does it not matter whether they seal since they are inside?

3) This tank is going to be all SPS & filter feeders, and I am trying to do everything on it to the "n"th degree of extreme for such a tiny tank (mag 7 closed loop with scwd and 2 hydor flows, 70w MH and 28 actinic pc, etc...). I hope to be able to feed more liberally with a skimmer, than if I ran a fuge alone. Is this a viable assumption?

Thanks,

Jared

1)Can't really answer (to tired, ask utr about hob skimmers, i'm using a in sump asperating version)

2)You apply weldon to the interior baffles as well. It isn't critical, though.

3)I would say it is a viable assumption

What size tank is that? INSANE waterflow (based on lighting, must be smaller than 10 gal. for sps), even for sps (which is a 10x recomended turnover rate).

Had a question about the reverse-venturi plans

For those of you that have made the reverse-venturi system with the plans posted....Is the divider piece listed at 11.5" too long for a 14" tall skimmer? I have all the pieces cut and the sides glued in but when I look at the diagram: The divider piece doesn't go up to even the 11" mark by the little inch marks on the side. So I was wondering where I went wrong or if I could just cut off an inch making it like 10.5" and use the rest of the measurements on the plan?

Very cool to share your experiments with us Undertheradar!

Jmorris: Don't want to change your plans but the UTR's original fits in the AC500. I'm running the injection version here: Sapphire One

Just make sure if you run the skimmer externally that the intake should get overflow tank water for maximal effect then spill into the AC500 fuge.

Observations on the differences between the air injections:

It's been a week since I modified an extra injection model to the aspirating one UTR posted. Basically I just changed the injector and stuffed an airline into a minijet 404. It's working but I've noticed that the foam doesn't have enough 'umph' to get wet skimmate and denses up to a dry paste just before the collection hill. :P the lack of umph might be from the extra baffle I added as an failed experiment.

I'm going to try adding an airstone and see what happens when I run that and use the mj404 as a recirculating pump to run countercurrent to the upflow of bubbles.

I must say I've read up alot about the downdraft and air aspirating needlewheel methods but WetWorx's design beats them all in terms of energy efficiency. (the only other I know is GroTech's new line using energy efficient Eheims) Now the holy grail is to make this thing more efficient with small watt pumps.

It's a AGA Mini Bow 7 gallon tank (MB7). I know the water flow seems insane, but I think it should promote dense and healthy growth of the SPS, allow for better suspension of particulate matter (aka:plankton and detritus), and will just be neat to try on such a tiny tank.

I am not putting the skimmer in the fuge because I want the maximum fuge volume for macro growth/pod reproduction. I'm not even sure this tank will need a skimmer, but we'll see.

Jared

Undertheradar

jmorris,

the height of the venturi style skimmer makes little diff once you go over 14". The cross sectional area of the skimmer in the main chamber is only 2"x1", so the downward flow of water tends to drag most of the microbubbles throught the botom and out the overflow anyways. Instead of tinkering with baffles and other modifications which dont seem to help much, I attached a sponge to the output pipe to catch the microbubbles as they exit the skimmer. You can make the skimmer taller, but it doesnt serve a purpose beyond a certain point. I made one 18" tall and put it next to a 14" tall one...same. If it helps for positioning the skimmer...go for it...no harm.

As for glue, I no longer use weldon 16 to follow up the 3. I find that if you rough up the edges with sandpaper, and hold the pieces together tight while they are drying, the bond is clear and free from bubbles that might cause a leak. This is also due to plenty of acrylics practice. You can use 16 if you like, no harm done. I keep 16 around in case I do build one that has a leak after its done...then its a quick fix.

And yes, a skimmer will allow you more biological capacity than a fuge alone.

okay, so i put together a design, but i've got a couple of questions.

first, i was thinking about converting my DIY fuge to a small sump. it sits behind my tank, its fed by a microjet 450 and has a gravity feed return. it is on the left in the drawing. one problem i thought of...i'll need to add roughly 0.2g of water to my system b/c of the skimmer. no big deal...but if the pump cuts out will the water remain in the skimmer? i was thinking that if it drained out it would flood my display...but now that i think about it, it shouldn't leave the skimmer if water isn't being pumped into the skimmer...right? (hope that makes sense...:D)

other then that, i guess i just wanted to run this by the experts, see if you guys see any problems or changes that should be made. green circle is the inlet, red is the outlet, black is the drain. let me know how it looks, hope the picture is big enough.

sump_skimmer2.jpg

Nope. It leaves the skimmer. Its opposite. With nothing to pump water in, it automatically leaves the skimmer to the point of the return b/c of gravity. On a hob version, this shouldn't be much of an issue due to the return location. On the in sump version with the input and output at the bottom, it is a problem, since the water level will drop to the bottom of the skimmer, essentially(sp) emptying all the water in the skimmer.

Sam

you know, sometimes i over think things. 0.2g of water isn't going to flood my livingroom :rolleyes:. its going to raise my water level maybe by a 1/4"...i think i'll risk it.

hey, thought i'd add my skimmer to the mix here. in-sump, venturi. need to get a pump and start getting it going. i thought i had a 85gph pump around somewhere, but i can't find it...anyway here it is.

here's the pieces. 2 3"x17", 2 1"x17" and a 1"x3"

IMG_1879.jpg

starting to come together...

IMG_1880.jpg

still need to drill the drainline

IMG_1882.jpg

and here it is...like i said, just need a pump.

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

can't wait to see how well it works...should get a pump in the next day or 2.

thanks to undertheradar...great DIY project.

UTR, I remember somewhere in your other (long) thread that either you or someone else has made these to fit inside of the 12g nano cube chamber. Can you help me? I need the schematics, and I'm sure others would like to see them posted here rather than that long a$$ thread.

Thanks.

Heres my addition to the thread. Just got it working properly (I think) tonight. I'm using a MJ 400 but took the bottom piece off of my 900 since it has bigger slots in the bottom and stuffed the air hose in there and it sucks air in wonderfully. Its producing a lot of bubbles, but nothing else yet. Also, a lot of bubbles, I mean a lot are going back into my tank. I think I'm going to try and make a little bigger one... Maybe not so much taller, just deeper.

Does it look like its producing enough bubbles to produce skimate?

skimmer01.jpg

Undertheradar

Earlier on in the thread you will see that I made one 18" tall...it does little to reduce bubbles as the downdraft of water is what takes so many bubbles with. If you use a rubber band to strap a piece of filter foam on the outlet the foam catches the bubbles as they exit. No need to make another skimmer.

Archived