Cultivated Reef

cleaner shrimp picking on my maxima

Howf777

My cleaner shrimp has been picking at my maxima ever since i got it about 2 weeks ago. This morning all 4 of my nass snails were on it too and my red leg hermit. Is there a reason why my clean up crew is so fascinated with my clam. Is this normal? I hope they dont kill him. The cleaner is ALWAYS on it and trying to pick or clean it and the clam doesnt want to open up. On top of that the cleaner has been harassing my green brain and its health has deteriorated greatly lately. please help, do i need to get rid of my shrimp?

thanks

cleaner shrimp can kill clams if you let them. yes, they're cleaners but they're still shrimp, crab-cousins as i like to call them. sneaky bastages.

the nass and shrimp are trying to scavenge the clam, maybe they smell weakness. i'd set it apart to give it a chance or kick the other guys out for a while (clam > shrimp/snails).

you think i should try to put a cover over the clam for now? I only have 1 tank so i cant really seperate them out. Maybe cut the top off of a 2 liter bottle put some holes in it and place it over my clam? this way it still gets light and flow?

thanks

that's not a bad idea, howf.

how about a tank divider to separate them? i won't look nice but you're protecting a valuable investment.

Archived