Innovative Marine Aquariums

Whats wrong with this crocea?? **Pic inside**

s3aL

Okay this is about a 2inch or 2 1/2 inch crocea clam. He was first under PC's at a LFS and was looking okay so we took him. It went in my girlfriends tank under a 250W MH. The problem is that his mantle floats in the air and isnt curled down like the other crocea clams she has. Has nothing to do with current cuz we tried low and high currents. Now she didnt know about feeding the smaller ones so im guessin that might be the problem? I took the clam and put it in my tank now under 150 DE MH and im feeding Live DT now. Im just wondering if the mantle is hovering cuz of lack of food since its under 3 inches?

its nothing to worry about. if anything it just has to do with it adjusting from the pc to MH. just give it a few weeks.

Hmmm, well it was under her 250w MH for about 2 or 3 months. So Light acclimation isnt the problem I dont think.

my crocea's are like that too.

it's nothing out of the ordinary, i believe all healthy clams have this type of mantle expansion. it's weird how you said the other ones in her possession have "curled" down mantles... that sounds more peculiar than what you have posted in the pic above. to me, it looks like a healthy specimin :)

BKtomodachi

100% normal crocea behavior. I do not know why some do curl under as you say, and some do not. They both seem to do equally well.

Undertheradar

I have a few croceas...6 in all right now...3 more on the way. They hold their mantles close or open differently every week it seems. Always changing! I wouldnt worry one bit. Youre GF has one nice clam there!

Archived