inTank Media Baskets

Placement of a clam

techabytes

I have a 12gal DX nanocube, with 92watts of light over the show area. I have a spot on my rockwork, would fit a clam nicely. If I put a crocea clam there, it would have about 1 1/2 - 2 inch clearance from the top of the water.

It would be close to a rio90 powerhead, not directly in the flow but still a higher flow area (I have the pump behind the 1st chamber, placement would be about 2 inches out and 2 inches to the side of this grate).

Does this sound like an appropriate placement?

Your opinions much appreciated,

Toni

I'm not too sure about the wattage; some say enough, some say not enough. But in regards to placement, that's probably the best spot w/ that light (assuming PC). Also, whenever I place clams I take a small piece of LR rubble, and place it under the clam where the opening is. This way the clam will attach to the small piece of rubble instead of your rockwork (in case you want to move it later).

Good luck.

I would say no. Although you are putting it high, they are still PC's. For the light loving Crocea and Maxima clams, MH is the only light I would suggest.

Bob

That's not entirely accurate, USF. Clams, in fact, prefer very high flow volume (to bring them nitrogen sources to process), just not a lot of direct flow. A bit of mantle rippling is about perfect...not too much..not too little.

As far as keeping a T. crocea or T. maxima under PC lighting..I'd say forget about it...

Cheers,

Fre

I am getting 130w PC along with 20w LED lights over my 10g and I wanted to try a derasa clam. I was thinking of startign a whole shelf for him. Is this enough light? About your situation techabytes I wouldnt do it with that lighting.

Originally posted by reefsrule

yeah, heck I have a maxima under pc's thats doing well

How big of a clam is it? How long has it been under PC's? How much watts of PC's do you have?

Bob

well ok, I guess thats not a good argueument, but I derasa clam is a very low light clam and it should be fine under those lights. btw I had my clam for about a year under 130 watts of light. I think its still under 3 inches though so it is mostly a filter feeder, but I don't feed the tank that often due to the algae so its still something:)

Archived