ReefCleaners.org

Green Mandarin in a 10?

Blind Tree Frog

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DitchPlains

et. al., is not legal term, but a latin phrase to refer to,"and others," just as etc. is a latin term "et cetera," meaning and so forth.

it is defined as:

et. al. – and others, from the Latin et alii; always abbreviate.

goodluck with your education.

btw Fred kudos on the wetwebmedia. Anthony Calfo spoke here yesterday as the NERAC (North Eastern Reefers Association Conference) which was to say the least "inspiring." Picked up his book on Coral Propagation, and I am astounded.

People on this thread shoukd read his acknowledgment on his first saltwater experience with a Green Mandarin, and perhaps they wouldn't be so free to throwout good knowledge.B)

ahh..that's right...NERAC was this weekend. Wanted to come down but was a tad busy.

And yes..I didn't realize that et al. was such a huge deal...lol...

Cheers,

Fred

DitchPlains

Did you eat lead paint as a child??

LOL!!! These are conventions of writing, as writing and speaking English are two entirely different things. You can say etc... in conversation because it's become common place. Using et. al. might not be the same thing, because it is not commonplace.

Thats why it's not used in everyday speaking, and only in writing. Fred is writing correctly, and eloquentlyI may add. Writing and speaking English are very different things entirely! No Barristers here...and why would Fred speak like one?? B)

lmao. Fred, I missed you while you were gone for a few days. ;) Nobody to make me look like less of an ass while still being correct most of the time. ;) haha.

Man I love the threads on mandarins, Clams W/ pc lighting, bta's, tangs, and tap water top-offs. they always bring out the best in threads. lol

i just don't like the site, maybe they need to update it with a newer design. Everyone has their own opinions, I will just do what I have learned and apply my skills to it.

I'm reading this as I watch my mandarin flutter around my tank. ;) Just thought I'd chip in... He's over there... Just like there opinions. ;)

Sry... Had to...

wet web has great information. it's just a PITA to find it. they really need to get a better web designer. and the responding to peoples emails with bracketed text inside the email just make things confusing for me. guess i'm a little slow though. :(

To ignore the *****ing and whining and answer the original post: under the right conditions, you can keep a mandarin in a 10 gallon. I have a 20H with a 10 gallon refugium. I bought a mandarin that was eating frozen brine and got it to eat Marine Cuisine. My tank has a TON of rockwork and is established with a huge pod population. I feed Marine Cuisine Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and let the mandarin fend for himself the rest of the week. Thus far, he's fattened up since I got him and the pod population has not even been dented yet. When I put Marine Cuisine in the tank, he attacks, eating every tiny bit that fits in his mouth.

So if you can find a mandarin ALREADY eating prepared foods and not just pods and have a well-established tank that can take up any slack to keep the mandarin well, you'll be fine.

To anyone who thinks you NEED the 75 gallon and that experts all say you cannot have a mandarin in a smaller tank, my system is proof that such an opinion is absolutely wrong. In the near future, I'll be upgrading to a much larger system and using one tank for nothing but training mandarins to eat prepared foods. It can be done and it's not that difficult.

RN

RN-I think what you refer to as B & M is more about thought provoking discussion. You're lucky that you have a mandy that eats frozen food. If you can "train" mandys to eat dead food and it is not that difficult, then e-mail me when you have perfected the technique and I will buy one from you or buy your secret. Then I'll put one in my 30 gallon with 65 lbs. of rock and well stocked refuguim. I've tried two mandys in the last 12 years. One died. One went back to the store before he died.

I do have to ask how WE know what the right conditions are for a mandy in 10 gallon tank. Please quantify what a "TON" of rock work is in a 10 gallon tank. I've got 65 + lbs. plus in my 30 and that wouldn't fit in a 10 gallon tank ground up.

My LFS has a 350 gallon tank that has 8 mandarins in it and a ridiculous amount of rock. I overheard the owner tell my 11 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER that she could keep a mandy in her new 12 gallon NC because they "ALL" eat frozen food. I called BS and have asked them on more than one occasion to prove it. So they put in some cyclop-eeze (which is what they say the mandys always eat) and they wouldn't touch the stuff. I also asked them to feed the "for sale" mandys in the sand bottom tanks and none of them would touch it either.

If you read the survey that was done by non-experts on ozreef.com that is posted in this thread, you will see that more often than not, mandys simply don't take to eating dead food.

The "experts" who have done years of research and suggest the 75 gallon rule with "X" lbs. of live rock as a guide line is a good "rule of thumb". They hear of numerous stories of the demise of mandys and they can state this as a rule because they do know what they are talking about. If a newbie (or other person) sees that beautiful fish and wants it, they need to know of its habitat and feeding requirements and that's what the experts give their opinion and advice on. And it's also why they are considered experts by their peers. So, their opinions are more often than not, valid and should be heeded by us with less experience.

Although you have had success with a mandy, I think you will find that if you try to start dead food mandarin training, you'll lose more fish than you "train". To suggest that mandy's can and will survive in a 10 gallon tank is poor advice because it is more of an exception than a rule. The bottom line is that too many of these fish die in captivity and it doesn't have to be that way.

Alan

$.02

These fish come from the Indo Pacific areas where the use of Cyanide is still in practice. (Unfortunately) . This practice effectively destroys the digestive system and, as any one who has internal infections will tell you, do not tend to eat. I have a spotted Mand. in a 20 who eats all the little pods, and also eats frozen. I respectfully suggest that the size of the tank is not as important as the health of the fish. I agree that this is NOT a fish for a new person/new tank. Stores that sell this fish should be more responsible, but even more the purchaser should KNOW as much information as possible, and make a responsible decision.

Well, the figures I typically see are 75 pounds live rock, 100 preferred. Then again, the ones I buy typically come from a store that has less than that, by far, in their tanks but keeps mandarins long-term and they ALL eat frozen foods. So either mandarins here are some magical select type or it can be done, as I've already said. I've never lost a fish in a saltwater setup and don't intend to. I'm sorry if you can't figure out how to get them to eat frozen foods. You can buy my first mandarin once it's ready, if you want to. The big system won't be set up for some time though.

RN

RN-If you have never lost a fish in a saltwater set up, then please tell ME how long you have been in this hobby. Humans don't live forever and marine fish live much shorter lives especially in captivity. So...if you don't intend on losing a fish, you are setting yourself up for failure and disapointment. I won't even tell you that you will need to go see a shrink when you do lose a fish if you don't think that you will...Oops, I just did.

Maybe the mandarins in Florence, AL have been fed some magical dead food drug? Give us all the secret. I don't mean to sound like a "richard" but, if the "experts" can't figure out how the general aquarium keeper can keep mandys in smaller tanks, I have to know how your LFS can keep mandys long term without LR and how they got them to eat dead food? I don't know of very many LFS that have LR in their tanks because it makes it harder for them to net out what they are trying to sell.

Alan

Alan

DitchPlains
My tank has a TON of rockwork and is established with a huge pod population.

A Ton of rock work in a 20H hmmm even a 2 to 1 ratio thats 40lbs and not that much LR for a truly thriving enviroment. Your Mandy may be surviving and doing well only because it eats prepared foods, as I know people who have Mandy's in 100g systems and have seen them eat entire pod populations with twice your LR and a fuge larger then your whole system.

To anyone who thinks you NEED the 75 gallon and that experts all say you cannot have a mandarin in a smaller tank, my system is proof that such an opinion is absolutely wrong

No, your just yet another example of the exception not the rule, that's now 2 or 3 people who have replied with your same experience, that's not the norm considering there are hundreds of these fish being sold weekly/monthly throughout the county.

I am glad your Mandy is doing well, and congrads for doing such a good job, but the reality is your lucky he/she eats prepared foods, and as most experts say, thats the type of Mandy that you need for a smaller then 75g system, but most do not eat prepared foods. Now, weither or not that is from cyanide is entirely up to the exporter/wholesaler that your LFS gets his/her fish from. :nerd:

and as most experts say, thats the type of Mandy that you need for a smaller then 75g system

Well you sure say that a lot, so it must be true. Here let me try it: I'm Mr. Rogers...but wait!! I'm not wearing a sweater...

It's funny how people pull all these "rules" out of their butt. I heard someone telling another person that you cant keep a coral beauty alive in anything below a 65 gallon.

No, your just yet another example of the exception not the rule, that's now 2 or 3 people who have replied with your same experience, that's not the norm considering there are hundreds of these fish being sold weekly/monthly throughout the county.

I am starting to believe that what you say is not the norm. There is not "75 gallon" rule. So quit telling people they are the exception. If you are going to make a claim that this is based of the hundreds being sold in the country, then lets see your market research to back up that bold assumption.

Archived