SaltCritters.com

easy care clam?

SoCal Reefer

no calm is a beginner clam, derasa clams are easier to care for, they dont need as much light but get HUGE, thats all i can help you with

T. derasa need less light than other clams in the genera, but still can be tricky. The up side is T. derasa pick up more nitrate than any other clam.

Fred, because? ...................... These statements are usually better when backed up by reasons, since the person asking doesn't know, and it's never a good idea to accept it just because someone made the claim.

Because I said so...and because I don't usually just spew random crap out of my mouth (or hands in this case).

But mainly because they require less light than any of the other "giant clams" to survive. And because they also do well in fairly "dirty" water (they're exceptionally efficient nutrient sinks).

Cheers,

Fred

I didn't say it was MORE efficient..but the coupling of a clam that requires lower lighting and prefers slightly higher nutrient levels would make it the easiest clam to keep..at least in my book.

Cheers,

Fred

BKtomodachi

Well... I disagree that it prefers higher nutrient levels.. but completely agree that they do tolerate them much better.

Sorry BK, but you are way off. Tridacna roundly show higher growth rates when nutrient levels are high. In culture, farmers seed post pediveliger grow out tanks with ammonium or nitrate very often.

BKtomodachi

Does higher growth rates = preferred. I think most everyone would say yes... but I'm really, truly an advocate of immitating NSW params as close as I can.

Archived