Pod Your Reef

icenine's nano

icenine

silverteen

Wow! awesome tank icenine. Im going to fail miserably trying to get my tank to that standard. Really beautiful :)

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Well... Pinky called me back this afternoon and says the replacement power strip is on the way.

:D

I've promised to send back the defective one.

(what on earth would you do with two RSM power strips?)

Wow... I hate having to move a system.

PITA.

Fairly uneventfull though.

I lost a couple animals. The big red tree sponge. It got busted up while breaking down the scape. The other was a small colony of acan lords that spent too much time in close contact with a chalice.... the chalice won out.

Here are a few pics of the move. This took about three hours out of one tank and into another. No extra airation, no heat packs.

Aquascaping takes a bit longer...

Everything, in two plastic containers:

tankinabox.jpg

Boxes (and bags) inside the boxes:

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

Inside one a box that contained two of the larger coral encrusted rocks:

topdownbox.jpg

Some of the smaller ones:

tileandxenia.jpg

I should have just sold it as a frag pack :P :

frags.jpg

The three stooges in one container:

(seems they had a bit of the poop scared out of them)

fish.jpg

A gallery of the seldom seen:

Bettleguese!!

serp.jpg

This guy is actually one of the original inhabitants of the reef, being a hitchhiker from the hatian live rock that started it off. The claws might suggest he's a killer, but over two years of good behavior meant he got to move to the new house with us.

crab.jpg

You almost never see a peanut worm outside of the rock.. here is one out of the sand bed:

peanutworm.jpg

(notice the wet hands inthose pics... go back and read page one and two of this thread and then take a wild guess as to who does NOT learn from past experience.. ;) )

Worm again in the tank:

peanut2.jpg

I dropped the sand from the pod on top of the 40lbs of fresh stuff I threw in here.

Things got cloudy but calmed down in a few hours.

Next FTS will look better ;)

droppedinthetank.jpg

On the glass there is gigantor the turbo snail.. who was added back in one of the seacrop shippments in 2005.

alexmurovec

hope everything bounces back well after the move. are you happy with the new scape and what not?

Hey, thanks for the SUPER pics! It really is a treat to see the rock inhabitants like that--what a gorgeous serpent star!

It's probably just me, but could that crab have cupped-tip claws? Almost looks a bit mithraxy...? (Except for the smooth carapace, of course.)

Nice peanut shots!

I also thought the pics of the packing job were very interesting. Glad you thought to take them and post them. (But hope I never have to do that! :D )

--Diane

On the glass there is gigantor the turbo snail.. who was added back in one of the seacrop shippments in 2005.

I can't believe you named your turbo gigantor.

My turbo is name gigantor the destroyer! (you need the exclimation mark in his name)

I'm curious... you said that the entire move should take a few hours. How far did you move and how long did it actually take?

I'm going to be moving to a home I'm building now in about 2 months. I've purchased a power converter for my car so I can run pumps and heaters in bins but the drive alone is going to be about 3 hours for me.

Crazy...I'm going to move an entire house in one or two trips... and make one extra trip just for my tank.

Thanks! ...I'm just glad this move is over.

Things are pretty much back to normal already. I'll keep a close eye out for a few days, but it all looks good. Keep in mind I do those large scale water changes... so these animals are almost used to a little rough treatment. ..not quite to this extent however. :D

The crab could be a mithrax.... I guessed at some kinda xanthid back in 05 when I only was able to get fleeting views of it.

The turbo is actually quite agile.... I'm shocked by how rarely it knocks things over. ..there was even a time I had not seen it for so long I thought it dead. So despite being the size of a silver dollar he has a pretty effective stealth mode.

The new house is just a little over half hour drive away... but from when animals started coming out to all back in it was about three hours. Keep in mind I had the RSM up and running at the new place... so it was just a case of get them there and get them in rather than waiting to get a tank set back up.

Whithout question I would suggest making the tranfer it's own trip if possible. There was no way I would want to tackle this the same day as moving the rest of the house. ...far too exhausting. I destroyed my last cichlid set up becasue I attempted to tranfer the night of the "big" move rather than another day. ...one false step and I cracked the tank. :(

If the drive were longer I would have had some airation going and if not heaters, heat packs.

Yeah, good going on the transfer.

I love that star...what's the exact name? You had him in the 24g?

Named my turbo Malder...after the my brother's zoid i ran over long ago.

emz-18.jpg

The star is some subclass Ophioderma, aka Harlequin Serpent. ...he's been in the pod the whole time, actually I first had him in the 2.5 gal pico.

Things are still looking good. I feel as though I'm out of the woods in regard to waiting for stuff to turn south or something. fingerscrossed

The skimmer is turning out some nasty skimmate already:

skimmate.jpg

skimmate2.jpg

...and that was only after a couple days... with 30 gallons of new water... and I only fed a little bit once so far.... yowza.

I've not mentioned the clam I've had in the pod for the past six months much, it's done pretty well actually.

I poked it to get the rim of the shell to show some of the growth it's had... it's added well over 1/4 of an inch since I've had it.

The white areas along the rim are new growth:

clamgrowth.jpg

With the mantle back out:

clammantleout.jpg

This is just some interesting scrolling coraline I've had in the tank I never really snapped a good picture of:

zoas.jpg

Wow Super pics :D

So, overall how do you like the RSM, are you using the stock lighting, I have mine ordered and am just waiting the shipping truck to pull up.

Glad to see "Pinky" came thru, hopefully, no more issues...

Pinky came through. I received my replacement power strip yesterday...so now I have both pumps at work.

There wasn't a return shipping label included though... I hope they didn't expect me to pay to ship the defective one back.

...I guess I can just give it back to them at their IMAC booth this weekend. ;)

IMAC frgas:

blueeyezoas.jpg

..I got these for a whopping 7.50. :P

paly.jpg

..and I'm going to try some sps in the max. I figured I start with a monti digi, so I picked up this nice lil orange one:

MontiDigi.jpg

...and this hydnophora

hydro.jpg

If they work out I'll try more.

It's not quite FTS ready yet.

The scape is still a work in progress and a few corals are just kinda stuck places for the moment or sitting in the sand bed.

I need just the right piece for live rock to add still before I expoxy things back to together.

GrandeGixxer

Did you get those red zoos from DLC for $7.50? When I was looking at them they were like $35. The Hydnophora is a LPS btw. Great additions though.

Did you get those red zoos from DLC for $7.50? When I was looking at them they were like $35. The Hydnophora is a LPS btw. Great additions though.

Yep, they were from DLC. ..this must have been a smaller rock than the one you saw. ...I don't think they marked things down that much the last day.

As for the Hydnophora being LPS *meh* ...there is often some confusion there.

In a lot of older texts they are described as having skeletal structures that are Faviid like or sometimes having close affinities with Mussiidae but they are of a different family, Merulinidae. Most of the resources you'll find now lump it with small polyp stoney corals.

Really for me.. it neon green, stoney, branchy and will sting the crap outa anything I put near it is all I really need to know.

OK. Added some more stuff. I think I'm done with new additions.

More SPS.

I really added more than I should, not being sure that things won't brown out... but I figure if these corals wind up looking less than stellar I'll just pass them along to another reefer.

Montipora... indigo, German blue, yellow and orange.... and a green staghorn.

Also.... new fish.

I had really been wanting to add a Wrasse. I was thinking six line for a long while... but happened into a pair of MAC certified collected fairies that are just "exquisite".

Here is the female with a couple tank mates:

fish3.jpg

I've not gotten a good shot of the male yet... it has more of a blue head, yellow in the finage is just generally more intense color wise.

A really crappy fts I took while working out the aqauascape... I added a little more rock.

crappyfts.jpg

Fishfreak218

wow the tank looks nice! really nice! does your yellow sun coral ever open? I got one exactly like yours a few days ago and it hasnt opened yet.

Archived