Pod Your Reef

Bring on the Yuma's...

Seamus

Post away - pictures of Ricordea Yuma's only.

I've been seeing some amazing variety of Yumas around here lately - would like to see them come together here. Here's one of my favorites !

6709Yuma-med.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome variety ! Thats what I wanted to see !

I'm not prepared to slice and dice one of these yet - but can someone describe the growth rate of these after splitting them ?

are these hard or easy to keep? i have 32 w 50/50 over my 6 g. could i keep one? and really how big are these things (diameter?). i would like it as a possible "centerpiece"

can someone describe the growth rate?

I'm interested too. I know they grow slowly, but quantitatively, how slow are we talking?

imafishboy- you should have no problem with your lighting. Place them down low then slowly increase the light that they get, by moving them up. Some yumas do better under low light and some do better under high light.

Tigahboy- no, it just disintegrated. That pic was taken at its happiest. I got those from a LFS and all of the other yumas that came in that shipment had the same thing happen to them. I don't think any of them survived. The LFS owner was kind of ####ed too, and hasn't ordered anymore yumas from that supplier lately.

p.o.t.u.s- The growth rate is slow compared to say a Discosoma shroom. If you cut off the crown and leave part of the base attached to the rock it will form(resemble) a new polyp pretty quickly, within 2 weeks or so. In about 4-6 months the polyp should be about 1/2"-1". The crown if cut in half, will heal in about a month. The polyps won't be perfectly round, that takes about 4-6 months to happen. It could take a year or so be the diameter of the original polyp.

My yuma rock. Its has a hot pinkish color. Cant seem to capture it well. Oh... I know yumas require different lighting. What type of lighting do you think will bring out the color in these, low or high?

ricordia.jpg

Multi-colored Ricordia yuma

Green base, orange/pink balled tips, pink ring on the outside. Neon orange mouth, and lines of pink/purple radiating outward from the mouth. Pretty cool.

thanks for the info joshnemily. but i also want to know if yumas and ricordias are the same or a different thing...cuz i read on one of the threads, they differ from each other.X)

imafishboy- To my knowledge yumas are a type of ricordia. I've only heard of two types of ricordia, florida and yuma. Yumas are more rare and more expensive of the two. They are nearly the same in appearance, but not totally.

This description is by Julian Sprung from this page

"There are two widely recognized species of Ricordea, R. florida from the Atlantic and Caribbean, and R. yuma from the Indo-Pacific region. Both are very popular in the aquarium trade. Ricordea yuma is readily distinguished from R. florida by the fact that the former has pseudotentacles on the oral cone, while the latter does not. Also, R. florida often has numerous mouths and elongated irregular polyps, while R. yuma is usually circular, with one mouth."

We have had some discussions around here on this subject. :)

Archived