Cultivated Reef

Sinistard's 92w Nano Cube Dx

Sinistard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Babycakes, I really like the feather duster as well the only problem is its big and I'm having a hard time finding just the right spot for it. I am selling a few corals off this week to make some space. I'll try to get a FTS up after I get it all set up the way I like it.

I got 2 new lord frags from RandyO over on reefcentral. He is a super guy to deal with and his frags are top notch.

This red one has 6 or so adult heads and a bunch of babies. It puffed up almost instantly when I put it in the tank.

redlord.jpg

This one he called blueberry. It did not like the trip as much as the red and has not fully opened up. I'll try to get a better picture later.

blueberrylord.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I added a Hydor Flo, maxijet 900 and overflow mod. I tried a maxijet 1200 and it was way to much flow for my coral placement. Things were getting blown all around.

Updated Tank Pictures 7/12/05

frontmed.jpg

rightmed.jpg

leftmed.jpg

topdown.jpg

Wow! Your tank is looking amazing. Such a nice variety of livestock, very clean too.

Is that a RandyO lord on the right side?

fishybusiness

Wow your water is so nice and clear. What do you run in there. Oh, those corals are sweet. I want one of those open brains in the future.

Originally posted by peterk731

So where did that crab find the anemones? Will it take aiptasia?

Are you asking about the pom pom crab, if so it came with its anemones. They are not aiptasia, I’m not sure what kind of anemones they are.

Originally posted by BelowH2O

Wow! Your tank is looking amazing. Such a nice variety of livestock, very clean too.

Is that a RandyO lord on the right side?

Thanks you, it is RandyOs lord on the right and the other red one in the middle is from him as well. The one in the middle is supposed to be more blue it’s his "blueberry lord", it either lost some color during shipping or does not like my lights. It looks healthy and I like it, it is just more of a dark red then blue. I think Tigahboy has some of his blueberry or had anyways maybe he could post a picture of his so I can compare, if he sees this post (thanks if you do)

Originally posted by fishybusiness

Wow your water is so nice and clear. What do you run in there. Oh, those corals are sweet. I want one of those open brains in the future.

Thanks, I run chemipure with one sponge, live rock, and macro in the back. I do a 10-15% water change at least once a week some times twice if I feed more that week.

I got a super nimble magnetic scraper from C Jerome and it works wonders on the glass, I run it over every other day and the glass stays super clean. By far the best $16, heck any purchases I have made for my tank.

Thanks again everyone

So far I am very happy with my coral growth (knock on wood), if you look back on the previous page you can see pictures of my tank on 4/28 and compare them to these new pictures.

The only things I have had troubles with are Yumas, I have had 4 different ones and only one is still alive. Heck I had the one left setting right next to the last one that died(melted away) which was the same morph(the big orange one in the pictures from 4/28 ). This kind of suck because Yumas are one of my favorite corals and I'm scared to add any to the tank. Any suggestions on Yumas would be more them welcome.

Over the last 2 1/2 months my zoos have all doubled in size, you can really tell from the eagle eyes on the left (which I got for free ;) ), the ones in the top left are spreading to the LR and the orange ones on the bottom right have also taken off very well and are growing up the wall.

My xenia has went nuts it has probably increased 5 fold, this may not be a good thing although I love the way it look it may become a nuisance. I hope it does not decide to grow down, it seems content to rule over the top of the LR and the back wall.

The red mushroom in the top right has actually grown 4 babies off its foot one below and 2 to the left. I think the blue mushroom is starting to split.

My nanocustoms lighting upgrades are doing there job very nicely with out causing any cracks! Thanks Chris.

I am thinking about getting a Montipora Digitata to stick in the open space in the middle of my LR were the epoxy is. I know SPS does not generally do well under PC lighting but I have seen several tanks that Montipora Digitata under PCs and they are doing very well. I would like an SPS just to add a bit of variety. My other option is a finger leather or other leather coral.

Thanks again everyone for looking and you comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Its a Sony DSC-F07 5mp camera, it's 3 or 4 years old but still a nice camera. I would love to get a DSLR, probably the Nikon D70, but I'm brokeX)

Well I picked up a couple small Montipora Digitata frags to try out. They are not the most exciting SPS corals or most exciting Montipora Digitata for that fact but I have read this type of SPS does well under PCs.

I stuck them both in the upper 3rd of the tank and they both extended there polyps around an hour after they were put in the tank. My only worry is flow, with my Hydor there was no way to place them so they get direct flow. The turn over in my tank is pretty good around 20x per hour. Now I know it’s not as good as oggies 150x per hour in his 6g but I think it will do. I am going to do more water changes, probably 10% 2 times per week instead of one.

They have been in the tank for 3 days and have not shown any sign of stress or receding. I'm new to SPS so this may not be a good gauge for all I know they take months to fade away but as far as I can tell they look healthy. Time will tell and if they start to go down hill I will try to sell them or just give them away to someone with halides.

Supposed to be blue polyps but under my daylights they just look white. Very cool under actinic.

monti1.jpg

Yellow polyps with a purplish yellow skeleton. It looks more purple under actinic.

monti2.jpg

Well after 8 days the SPS are still looking good. The polyps are extending more then ever, even down by the base on the yellow one where I glued it to the rock the polyps came out after a couple days.

Hopefully I will see some growth/encrusting. Will a SPS typically encrust onto the rock its glued to before it grow up or the other way around?

Here is my tank as of today. You can see the addition of the Montipora Digitata

Also here is a link to a website I'm working on for my tank. What do you think. There is not much content yet, I'm getting the basic layout figured out first. Any suggestions are welcome.

My tank site

FTS73105.jpg

Thanks NanoBob.

I was thinking about one of your skimmers. How mush are you selling them for? Also do magnets hold them on?

Yes magnets hold it in place. In my avatar you can see the magnet bracket(clear piece) that goes behind the intake. On the production model that piece is black. All magnets are epoxy sealed. The cost is $34.50 shipping included.

Again,GREAT looking tank!

Bob

shao-lin nano

Very nice tank! I really like how your water column and surface is crystal clear. The xenia looks a little over grown, kind of looks like a cheap toupee..lol

I really like how your tank has developed and matured over thepast several months...hope mine develops just as well.

Archived