Top Shelf Aquatics

clams and anemones

crunk

do anemones hurt clams? i was just wondering, i don't have a clam. i don't think i have seen a tank that has both. but don't you think the clam would be ok next to anemone since it has that big shell. if anybody has a tank with both could you post a pic, i think it would be interesting. thanks.

I don't currently have a tank that houses both..but I used to have a tank with a BTA, a Hippopus, and a Squamosa. I've seen plenty of clams housed successfully with anemones...including a rougly 14" Derasa in the same 300gal tank as a 2' carpet anemone. Once anemones find a place they like, they usually don't move.

Cheer,s

Fred

i'm upgrading my ten lighting in a week to 96 watt powerquad.

i am not getting a clam though, and if i do for dumb reason, i would put as high in the tank as possible.

as a matter of fact, which species of clams require the least amount of light, that way if i do decide to get one, i know what species to research

It would harm a clam if it stung its mantle.... with a powerquad, there isnt a clam that you can fit in a ten gallon that would be ok wih the lights, pretty much. They would all outgrow it.

I'd ask your LFS if they will buy it back when it gets too large. I basically had a deal with my local LFS that I'll take the occassional "baby" (under 3") and rear it in my Nano until it gets too large..and then I can sell it back (and make a handy little profit I might add..lol..I once grabbed a 2" T. gigas, raised it until it was about 8" and sold it back..made about a $50 clear profit..;) ) and get an other "baby" or two and keep going. It's a great way to have clams and kinda be part of the "aquaculture" industry as well.

Cheers,

Fred

jenniebutterfly

i would be scared to put a clam and an anemone in a tank together. it might work though if you get the anomone really happy first, make sure it really likes it's spot first for a while then introduce the clam, but please make sure if you do decide to do it you have the right lights for it :)

don't you just love profits from the lfs. i once bought 4 1 inch oscars for $2.50 and a 2 inch jack dempsey for $2.00 from my lfs for my 55 gallon. when i decided to go to smaller fish i took them all back and they gave me $30 per fish. granted it was store credit.

jenniebutterfly

i don't go to any in brooklyn really. i got to fishtown in queens on northern blvd. and another in queens that off the top of my head i cannot remember. i have yet to find a great one though. i would love to find a store with more rare corals but at somewhat reasonable prices. :) hey i can dream right

If you City-Folk feel like an all-day trip, Rochester has some REALLY REALLY good shops. The Reef Shoppe and Carribean Forest in particular always have a huge variety of some nicer stuff (zoo's, LPS, SPS, clams, anemones). Again..it'd be an all-day trip...but it's well-worth it..I guarantee you.

Cheers,

Fred

No problem rmulet...and I know the "scene" down in NY is big and all (with folks like Greg Scheimer, etc)..but we have our share Upstate here in the Upstate Reef Society as well...;) (featured tanks from guys like Dave Playfair and Gary Majrchzak..check em out at www.reefs.org and www.reefcentral.com..past issues).

Here's a link if you guys want to look into coming up for a meet as well when the weather gets a bit better.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdis...?s=&forumid=117

Cheers,

Fred

Archived