Top Shelf Aquatics

Finally some pics of my tank

Nateair

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Nateair

Im now in week 5-6 and the coraline algae is starting to bloom, i thought it was weird because i heard people say it took them months and months to grow their algae.  ill post some pics later because im going to bed right now. if you have any ?'s let me know i would be happy to answer them.

where is this mutant fast super coralline algae growth you mentioned. pics please.

Originally posted by Nateair

middle of tank, notice the purple in the middle.  i like it.

the middle of the tank and if you look closely in the back on the pump its starting up.

I'm assuming this is what you are referring to...

redslime.jpg

It is odd that you would have such super fast coralline growth while it takes others months...that's simply b/c the algae you are referring to is not in fact coralline growth.

It is commonly referred to as "red slime algae" but more specifically it is cyanobacteria...more closely related to bacteria than algae. the embedded tiny bubbles found in that patch of red algae in the middle is indicative of such.

very common w/ beginner tanks...need to control nutrient export better and in the meantime use a turkey baster or siphon and suck up that red slime b/c they will spread rapidly and smother the beneficial algae and potentially corals.

coralline algae is actually hard and encrusts over your rocks, plumbing, and tank walls...they can't be sucked up w/ siphon and must be scraped hard to remove.

audiocontrol

uh oh, im afraid tiger is right...Just 2 weeks ago (three full months since my actual set up date with water) I started to get pink coraline algae growth on my pump outlet, back wall, etc...that was with alk at 4 meq and calcium consistently at 400ppm +. If you wanna erradicate that stuff pretty fast, use some "chemi clean" by boyds. Cleared out all that new tank syndrome crap in 2-3 days.

audiocontrol

it is perfectly safe, but mix it up with a little bit of water in a jug, then add it to the tank. particles of the stuff got into my gsp and it got a little ####y. Didnt open for a day but no effect. I did not mix it in the water first before i added it (stupid mistake on my part) So, even in that worst case scenerio it was more of a benefit to rid the algae rather than anything else.

thanks, no idea on the snails and hermits. i think ive seen 4-5 hermits recently and i think i have all the snails still so about 8-10. i didnt count i just kept throwing them in over time. im thinking about adding more crabs again because of an algae boost in the sand, i dont have a sand sifter yet. im giving the firefish some time to rule his domain before i freak him out even more. he seems to only come out when there arent a bunch of people at my house. he is funny.

i just went downstairs and counted 5 crabs, but i was kinda distracted by the fact that my cleaner shrimp molted for the third time in a month, is that normal?

Archived