Coral Vue Hydros

Finally some pics of my tank

Nateair

"the only wrong thing is what doesn't work" from the pro's a the new england aquarium where i worked. i think this site is based on diy-ing (or at least strongly based...). I also would never have started up a reef so fast, but that's just me. And for the record, we also get children for free, so i guess if we screw up with our kids and they die- m'eh, they're free, who cares? life (and your coral) may be free but it's worth more than everything else you own.. yeah, I've been to aquariums around the world and never heard any "professional" call corals "plants". sounds like he knows some "pro's" (are they really?) and decided, "hey I can keep fish too" . Just because you can doesn't mean you should- as i learned from jurassic park.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
audiocontrol

Nateair, I added corals 2 weeks after setting up my reef and if people think my corals look "sick", then they must be living on another planet. The GSP was the first coral i added and it is taking off like a weed. It is already growing on the back wall of my nano. You did a really good job with your tank. wtg

sorry meant corals, plants was a typo. yarquint, get off your high horse. they are corals, not kids. they dont hold a value like that and if that is how you look at them you should reconsider a few things in your life. you may not have started a reef that fast, but then again you may not understand that they can be done fast with the proper care. i was told they couldnt so i set out to do it. that is what this post is for, its a testiment to what can be done when done properly. comparing fish to dinosaurs now, I once had an orange that was an apple...

audiocontrol - thanks man, it can be done people just cant be so afraid to try and work to succeed.

aaronfmd - stop taking parameters about 3 weeks ago, got bored with it. i have carbon, 2 sponges, and LR for my "media" in the back. i also keep my heater back there as well. stock consists of a cleaner shrimp and firefish. clean up crew is anywhere from 6-10 crabs some mexican red leg and some blue leg. (ive lost some and gained some and dont really count them daily) snails is about 10 i believe, just random ones from the LFS. havent lost any of those yet. i also threw some extra shells in the tank becasue the crabs were fighting.

pumps are the rio 600 and the 190 is in the front i think. i forget, i got that one for free.

don't mean to crash this thread or BASH on anybody but Nateair the only reason why you are doing what you doing is simply because you get all your stuff for free. a frogspawn dies so what let get another one and try again. 99.9 % of the people here dont get the luxury of getting these nice EXPENSIVE corals for free so they have a different value on it. When you have to work for things. You will tend to value it more than the things you get for free. So it's that simple i dont see the point of this fighting and stuff.

Note to everyone who's against Nateair: If the kid think he can do it, let him do it. What does he have to lose but free corals?

thats not true and not the only reason why i do this, i do it to see if i can. yes the free corals help but you have no idea where i come from and the reason why i get these corals free. and no im not willing to tell you. how do you think people know you can keep a frogspawn in a cube? people like me try it and if we lose one then we can learn from it and try to make it work. its not about just getting a new one and letting that one die too. there are people on these forums that kill fish over and over because they ant understand whats wrong with their tank. they dont try to make any changes they just keep throwing them in there once they die because the LFS has a short warranty. i want to help and im learning from some people that having been doing this for years. why focus on your loss when you can learn from it and press on to make something better? the fact is im not extremly attatched to these things because there is a chance i might lose them. i dont get attatched to items that i do pay for becasue of the same reason. it makes me that much better at learning how to do it right instead of looking behind me at what ive lost and the money wasted. imagine the inventors of yesterday and if they didnt take chances. its naturally a part of history to be mocked and told you cant do it. ill help those that want help or my opinion or an idea, those that want to bash, i feel sorry for you and your narrow-minded ways.

Tigah - im eating my own words!!!! Look at the length of these posts! I guess when your passionate about something you get carried away...

haha what happened to a challenge is good or i like challenges??? jk. also if you dont wanna explain where you come from, no one would understand your reason being for doing what you are doing. im not saying that "just get a new one and let it die". Im simply saying that their value is nothing to you while they are to some of us. OF course it will take trial and error to become successful but I don't see much options to change when you have such limited things to work in my opinions when it comes to a nano. Good lighting is essential to coral growth as food is essential to human growth. When you deprive the corals of such they might not die but they might not grow either. Whey do you think the kids in iraq or any third world country is soo small compared to kids in america.

Even thou this is my opinon i admire your passion for doing this and your scientific mind of trial and error. Good Luck budd tea.

i dont mind if you dont know where im coming from, i just cant tell you the reason i get this stuff free, i do some bartering for it but i dont consider it work for me. You are right, i have no value for these things, i payed for my car and i have no value for it. It doesnt mean i dont take imaculate care of both items. it just means i choose not to be attatched or upset if something happens. I guess what this might help prove is, what is good lighting? We all know i should have a MH under the hood but if i can do it with the stock canopy why not try and tell people, yeah you can do it. who ever said this isnt enough lighting for them to grow? time will tell. ill take a pic of a tank for you guys that is running off of T5's. you wont believe me but its another one of those expirements gone great. i appreciate the opinion and look forward to proving my theories right, that way we all gain a little more knowledge about this hobby.

Well the thing with SPS is that people tend to think that MH is the only thing that will keep them alive, but that isn't true for all the species. A lot of montis can be kept under PC lighting when water quality is perfect, they're the "low light" corals in the SPS family. Their health depends on three factors in no particular order: flow, water quality, and lighting. You can get away with PC lighting but not without good flow/water quality.

Green-Day711

This whole website is supposed to be for learning. True, people do learn from trial and error, but Nateair should have listened to the constructive comment of maybe upgrading the lighting even if he does not agree. Other people have learned from trial and error that most sps does not thrive without good lighting, and they were simply trying to help Nateair to make your tank that much better. all this arguing back and forth does not quench the eagerness for one to learn.

Oh Nateair, i was wondering if you get lighting for free as well as corals?

Corals also have feelings just like people.

I kept Monti Digis, under one 24 and had to frag every other week because it grew so fast. Granted they didn't look as colorful but they were healthy.

Corals don't have feelings, they lack the high brain that is required to capactitate higher reason and thought. True they are animals, but so is an ameboa which incidentally is about the size of each individual cell in more than a few corals.

I did notice one thing that your Frogspawn is doing that mine did too. I don't know if you have seen it or not but when their isn't as much intense light they tend to loose their really frog spawn esque look and take on a kind of green blob tenticle look. For my frogspawn it took about 3 full months before they became just an ugly non shaped green blob. Nothing to worry about though, more light will make them shape back up.

Dark Xerox is absolutely correct about what he said on SPS, that is something for all to consider not just us reading this.

T5s are great, and they are proof that MH is not always the answer. You can have tons of MH light and have bad quality water and the coral will still look like crap.

I do agree with you sometimes people get way to caught up and forget that coral may be animals but ultimately it isn't like a dog or something you can get attached to. A fly has more complex workings than a coral but we have no problem swatting them.

Anyway, lets see some more pics.

Green-Day711

Even if corals dont have brains, or are not "complex", they should not be treated indifferently. And swatting flies is hopefully not as painful as dying slowly and painfully in a 10 gallon tank.

whitten - youre a funny guy, thanks for the post.

no i bought my tank and yes i do pay for lighting, just not that much. i did listen to the comment about lighting but also tried to explain that i have an idea on what im doing and am trying an expirement, i will not upgrade the lighting. main reason being that i dont want to spend the money and also because i will be spending a lot of money on my 85g here soon.

and yes i did specifically pick out those SPS corals becasue they will work under that lighting.

corals have feelings... :woot: maybe i wont tell you about my friend that killed all of his corals because his MH broke and the UV rays fried them. let me tell you, that was a lot of screaming corals over the weekend. :) ill work on more pics of the tank later tonight, and ill see what i can do about the T5 tank. the T5 is not mine so ill see if my friend can e-mail it to me.

nateair first off you have a very big attitude problem. no one likes people that always think their right. we're animals too and the fact that another living creature's life is in ur hands doesn make you soft-hearted? and to think u said u get them for free like a creature's life can actually purchased. have a little sympathy, or were u jus raised on a slaughter farm?

keep ur damn egotistacal comments to urself

nice frogspawn btw

not to mention the impact on the wild coral reefs, it doesn't matter if they can't feel pain. Its still important to care for this life that we are extremly lucky to be able to keep alive in the home aquarium

Archived