Top Shelf Aquatics

Salt Mix Poll Here!!!

Darth_NANO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has a different opinion on this one. If you do a search on the forums, you can find a lot of threads on this that may help. Personally, I have used Reef Crystals, Instant Ocean in the past and am now using Oceanic. All my tanks have done well. I think a couple of the most important factors are the lighting and the flow. Don't skimp on your lighting or you will regret it in the long run. And as for flow, figure out what you want to keep in your tank and then configure the flow accordingly.

I'm using Oceanic also.

HumblePie, I disagree. The most important factor is your water. With improper lighting and low water flow, you system can still survive for a while. But with bad water, that's just disaster. Water quality is on the top of my list.

• 4 months later...
steelhealr

Ditching Oceanic today and switched to Tropic Marin. My lfs told me that were using Oceanic and totally dumped it for TM (BTW..they stocked both). Oceanic is TERRIBLE with alkalinity. The mix, tested today at s.g. 1.025 had a dkH of 5-6. I can say ONE good thing about Oceanic..it dissolves fast. I think the momentum is going towards Tropic Marin....count me in. SH

BKtomodachi

Tropicmarin. Good salt, and seems to keep my pH/alk stable between water changes. More so than oceanic did, at least.

I was planning on using tropic marin, but now my interest has been sparked with the catalina seawater. It's easier to use, more conveinient, and not as messy. Taking a trip to Petco on Wednesday to pick up a few boxes.

Im using oceanic salt right now and i have some algae issues: cyano, hair algae, and im going to switch to tropic marin to see if my algae problems go away. If not I need to buy a new ro, but my ro is only 1 and a half years old.

Styxnpicks
Originally posted by NCNBilly

Bio-Sea here - love it.

I too use Bio-Sea. and will never use anything alse EVER

Tropic Marine

Started using it in the 80's and when I got back into the hobby I started with TM again. For a brief time I switched to Oceanic and had a really bad hair algea outbreak. I switched back to TM and no algea at all.

There is a lot of talk of how bad Oceanic salt really is and what it does to your tank and critters. Search other forums for the information and opinions.

Not selling any specific brand here, just sharing what happened to me when using Oceanic. TM is not the best but at least it is stable.

I just tested. Oceanic water mixed with Distilled in 12 gal DX nano cube. Calcium 500 and Alk is 2.5. Hmmmmm

I will be switching too. Been cycling for almost 2 weeks and hope I can do a water change soon so I can start using the Catalina I just had delivered. Hopefully this will even out some of the results.

I got 50 gallons of oceanic salt left and Im waiting for fishtown usa my lfs to get tropic marin in. They say theres none in the country? cant get any in....

Originally posted by arbee

I just tested. Oceanic water mixed with Distilled  in 12 gal DX nano cube. Calcium 500 and Alk is 2.5. Hmmmmm

I will be switching too. Been cycling for almost 2 weeks and hope I can do a water change soon so I can start using the Catalina I just had delivered. Hopefully this will even out some of the results.

If you are just two weeks into your initial cycle, you shouldn't be concerned with your CA or ALK. It is going to take awhile for you tank to balance out and stabalize.

I used Instant Ocean for years and didn't like the fact that I had to add lots of Liquid Calcium and Magnesium weekly to maintain levels. Both which are not cheap. Having a heavly stocked calcium sucking tank, the switch to Oceanic was a nice change. It might have low ALK, but adding baking soda to raise that is nothing. Easy and cheap.

Tropic Marin Pro sounds like it has potential. Anyone try it?

B)

Bob

PS- Did I miss something.. Where is the POLL??

artarmon42

Hmmm, going against the trend here, but I've been happy with Oceanic. In the 1.5 years I've been using it (gone through 4-5 big containers), I've never had a problem. CA ~450, Alk 9-10, etc.

Mind you, I just got talked onto Catalina NSW and might switch next week. Bought a box and tested it today.

But thought I'd stand up and put in a good word for Oceanic :P

Originally posted by pandabehr

Tropic Marin Pro

Stuff is exspensive but hands down the best I have ever used.

How does it test? CA, ALK, and MG? Does it dissolve pretty fast.

Thanks,

Bob

B)

I use Tropic Marin. I have been pretty happy with it. I started with Oceanic and got ####ed off with its low alk. I have heard others have no problems with it. I think they must be really inconsistent... either way, not for me.

Anyone know of good places to buy salt? Around here it's $60 a bucket...

Oh, I've been using Red Sea--not the best, really--but I've heard only excellent things about REEF CRYSTALS.

Wow, all this and no one mentions Red Sea Salt. It's what I use, and although I don't really know how it compares to others, my tank is ok with it.

Archived