Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Salt Mix Poll Here!!!

Darth_NANO

Im switching from Instant Ocean to REEF CRYSTALS. REEF CRYSTALS has additional elements making supplemetation less expensive.

What does everyone else use?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Catalina Ocean Water (from Petco)....no mixing..no fuss..easy stuff. A bit expensive..but that's why I've got a good job..lol.

Cheers,

Fred

TROPIC MARIN IS AWESOME IF YOU GOT THE TIME TO LET IT MIX, OCEANIC IS THE BEST FOR HIGH CALC AND LAST MINUTE MIXES. I LIVE IN NYC, VERY BUSY NO TIME TO LET IT SIT FOR A DAY OR TWO, MY WATER GETS A COUPLE OF HOURS THATS IT! I TAKE A PINT OT TWO OF MY EXSISTING WATER, AND MIX IT INTO NEW WATER. THATS IT.

Crystal Sea is the best salt on the market. The government requires you to use it in all experiments if you want grant money...I use it. All Marine Biological Universities use it in the US I believe. Anyway, it's the best and it's not all that expensive. For you folks out there backing up Oceanic... I disagree. It is made in China and there is no real quality control. Some batches of it are better than others. You wanna' know why it dissolves quicker than most salts? It has a lot less buffer. If you use Oceanic you will more than likely be buying more Marine Buffer. One of our customers a lfs in SC who will go nameless decided to switch to Oceanic because it was cheaper but they ended buy Jugs and Jugs of Seachem Marine Buffer to buffer their pH. Oceanic salt is distributed by Central Pet, Inc. The company that owns All Glass Aquarium and Oceanic and a lot (I mean a lot) of other stuff. Oceanic salt is a gimmick to try to get their trucks full. They're losing too much money on shipping so they are practically giving away this salt to make up the money and get their trucks full. They sell "store use" salt in ugly packaging for half price. They figure if a store uses the salt so will all their customers which is for the most part true. They will also give a store enough boxes to start a display if they start selling it. Long story short, I don't think the Oceanic is all it's cracked up to be. It's not as good as Instant Ocean and definitely not as good as Crystal Sea which is the best IMO. There's my .02 on Salt mixes.

If you're willing to spend the extra cash..I don't see how you can beat filtered and sterilized natural seawater (which is what Catalina Ocean Water is).

Cheers,

Fred

is this really true? Where did you get the sources?

They will also give a store enough boxes to start a display if they start selling it.

^

Oceanic salt

Sounds like Tylenol that are distributed freely to hospitals, and the hospitals give it to the patients. Some patients will think, hey they use Tylenol in hospitals, so it must be recommended by doctors, and buy them.

I use Istant Ocean, works fine.

favorite salt poll at reef.org, see for your self:

http://www.reefs.org/GBSurvey/surveyq.php?survey_id=7

As a pharmacy hospital employee, I've got to say that we pay for our generic tylenol. However, we used to get free unit dose cups of Maalox. Anyway, I go the expensive lazy route and buy catalina natural seawater from petco. For my lil 20g it just makes sense. Now if I had that 75g I've got my eye on....hehehe

There are many opinions out there, but on a few of the "other" reef forums, there are chemists and universities that have posted ACTUAL results of extensive testing...They all seem to point out something very interesting...The cheap A$& salts usually score very low in the majority of elements commonly used in reef environments, thus making them cheaper for a reason. That is not to say that they don't make an excellent choice for a fish only setup, but why spend $10 on a 50gal sack of salt and $50 on extra trace elements, buffers, and so on instead of paying the additional $10 or so for a very consistant product and one that is designed for reef use? Also goes to say the most expensive is not the best either...Decisions, Decisions...By the way, I use Tropic Marin (converted from Instant Ocean, Coralife, & Catalina)...A very consistant salt

Originally posted by kappa

is this really true?  Where did you get the sources?

^

Oceanic salt

Sounds like Tylenol that are distributed freely to hospitals, and the hospitals give it to the patients.  Some patients will think, hey they use Tylenol in hospitals, so it must be recommended by doctors, and buy them.

I use Istant Ocean, works fine.

favorite salt poll at reef.org, see for your self:

http://www.reefs.org/GBSurvey/surveyq.php?survey_id=7

I work at a large Fish store and our company is also involved in wholesale and internet business. The owner told me that Central Pet will start you off with a pallet of the oceanic salt if you agree to start using it in your store and selling it to customers...

Archived