SaltCritters.com

12 gallon clam tank!

balla816

just got a few questions to run by u guys....i have a 12 gallon tank with a hang on back refugium and a aquaclear mini....i have a 175 watt metal halide fixture with 72 watts of actinic supplementation.....does this sound suffiecient enough........i have around 20 pounds of live rock and 15 lbs. of live sand......is there nething else i should do or fix to my setup???????

B-Ionic...best solution to maintaining calcium and alkalinity in small tanks. You can dose starting with the recommended dosage and test until you get the dosing worked out. The stuff works great.

Cheers,

Fred

thanks.......but i was thinking of getting the maxima or crocea clams at 2.5 inches so i would still have to spot feed him but at that size they mainly depend on photysnthesis ........i will still spot feed them but only 3 or 4 times a week rather then once or twice a day when they are babies.

oh yea.......i use liquid calcium......i have heard of bionic but i heard liquid calcium was the best.......and i will spot feed them with marine snow..........

Spot feed with DT's...much better than Marine Snow...and B-Ionic is much better than Liquid Ca because it not only maintains Ca but also ALK.

Cheers,

Fred

thanks for the info.......where can i buy DT's at......and i wil go and pick up some B-ionic at the store this weekend.......does anyone have ne idea how many clams i can have in this tank.....when i get my first clam i will be sure to post pics of it .......

You can have as many clams as you can feed, light, and maintain Ca and ALK for....

You can order DT's online...Google it for the site..

Cheers,

Fred

Your clam will or will come darn close to outgrowing your aquarium...the only clam you have hope for keeping for several years is a maxima...seems like people never expect their clams to grow.

I guess I'm lucky to live in an area that has/be part of a reef society. I never really consider "overgrowth" with my nano, as there is always someone with a much larger system, ready willing and able to take on a large clam. Although, Rhino brings up a good point if you don't live in such an area.

Cheers,

Fred

i know the clams will grow i was just asking if my light would be suffiecient........and before i asked how many i could keep.........i realize these rganisms wil grow and some will grow quite fast

Sounds like you've got a good plan worked out. I think 175 watts would do it, provided that you will be feeding, which you are obviously prepared to do. Make sure you monitor your calcium carefully though, as they'll suck it dry before you know it.

Undertheradar

I have pics of my 10g with 5x4" ultra croceas in my gallery for proof it can be done. I dont use a reactor, I have 250wattsDE MH over the tank, and I must dose KENT 2part Calcium every day. Your light sounds alright, but the biggest problem I have had is keeping the calcium levels up (my 20+ SPS corals dont help, but adult clams, or ones that are beyond their phyto filtering stage like mine, suck calcium out of the water faster than anything I have seen). A 10g, even with a 10g sump, doesnt hold alot of calcium in the water w/o precipitating, and clams sponge it out prety quick. One thing I would say is try to get clams that dont need phyto feeding any more...it will save you from polluting the water. This means that your lighting will have to be higher than for 'baby' clams, but it seems like you have enough. As far as how much room...dont believe you will have a problem there. Look at all the stuff I have crammed in my nano, and still plenty room for clams...and another few frags this weekend.

hey FAC_WNY have you ever tried kalkwasser? I have done both liquid calcium by kent, 2 part b-ionic, and kalk. I say the most accelerated coral growth in my montipora digitata a few weeks after dosing kalk through an autotop off system. Before with B-ionic I had a very difficult time keeping a constant stable calcium level above 400, and you have to play with the level of alkalinity to calcium for your alk and cal read outs to be 100% propper. After you get on a regular basis with kalk it is much easier to work with, and in my opinion much better a calcium additive.

thanks for all the help.........have u ever heard of Pro Buffer DKH ......it says it boosts alkalinty and maintains pH at 8.3 and has a coralline acelorator

Archived