Cultivated Reef

New 29 gallon

The Speez

SPS Alley...........

Hopefully in 6 months or so everything will have grown in and the tank will take on an established look. That is essentially what I am going for.

11809114-1439_IMG-med.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. you have 'sps alley' and i have the 'sps corner'. tank is looking great eben! i picked up some nice frags for my birthday!

also found a freakin' nudi on my blue angel zoos so now i'm in the process of quarantining them and keeping an eye out for any nudis in the tank. this is the first time i have seen one in 2 or 3 months. and i thought i had defeated them. i'm not too sure if i want to sell any as of right now(i don't want to risk infecting your tank with them, ya know?)...at least not until i'm sure that there are no egg cases and no nudis whatsoever on what i'm selling.

i spent about an hour yesterday scrounging the tank looking for egg cases and only found two(both were on the blue angels right next to where i found the nudi). i'm going to look again this evening at lights out.

just saw the message you left in my thread...my schedule is usually the same per availability...mondays after 430 and fridays all day(saturdays and sundays are usually open as well).

quick question...how exactly does the tunze top off system work and how much did you spend on it altogether, if you don't mind my asking. i can see how the float switch top offs work but the tunze system just flat out confuses me. :D

The Tunze system in my opinion is the best top-off system available simply beacuse there is no moving part that measures the water level, henceforth, there is no possibility that it will be stuck in the on position.

There are two pieces, the first one is the main gague that is a laser. When it looses contact with the water, the laser gague tells the pump to turn back on until contact is restablished.

The other piece is an emergency shut off swicth that does nothing unless the first laser fails which isn't ever suppose to happen. If the laser fails and the water keeps rising, the second switch (1" higher that regular water level) will turn the pump off. So in essence it is nearly impossible to flood the tank.

If you ever want to come over to check it out let me know. I be happy to show you :)

Anyone else in CA having heat issues? Especially those running MH.

My tank temp. reached 80.8 today and to date it has never gotten over 80. When it is at a low the tank get to around 78. Is this 2 degree temp. swing going to have a major impact?

My ambient temp in the house was 76 todayt so I guess I will be running the AC at no higher than 72 degrees. Hopefully that will help.

yeah, i got up to 82.2 so i had to point the fan directly into the water...it dropped to around 81 or so. as of right now(2 am) the water temp is still high(80.8) and it's a cool 76 in the apt(no ac on as of yet). i'm hoping i don't have too many problems with the temp swing. i've got to get a chiller of some sort. i'm thinking an iceprobe would be okay, but i dunno how well that would work.

Originally posted by The Speez

And of course...The new control center.  I just mounted the temp. gauge next to the Tunze top-off system and the heater controller.

The Pinpoint is to monitor the Tank pH and make sure the Calc. Reactor doesn't drop the pH below 8.0

11809114-1407_IMG-med.jpg

where do you get one of those tunze top-off systems? that's freakin sweet man. you're a "reeftechie" speez.

i wouldn't try an iceprobe on that large of a system. i've been looking at chillers but since i have no sump i'm not sure how i would get a larger chiller to work on my 12g.

i've been looking at the chillers at drsfostersmith.com and at marinedepot.com there are specs for most of them but buying a chiller is damn expensive! even the iceprobe and controller are pushing it for me, budget-wise! looks like i'm going to start having to sell off some frags hardcore! =)

• 3 weeks later...

Im Back!

2 weeks in Spain and only two casulties...1 firefish and also completely lost a clump of green rics???

Time for a new fish...

Photo taken today at 5 and 1/2 months. Things are really beginning to start growing.

I was cleaning the glass (2 weeks of crustiness) this morning and broke of a large arm of my orange monti. digitata which sucked however the broken piece will start a new colony on the right side of the tank.

11809march_26-med.jpg

got some new pink and purple digitata yesterday. Here is a picture taken from an interesting angle...just thought it looks neat.

11809reef_1-med.jpg

Archived