SaltCritters.com

For Larnie...................

SaltyDawg

Here they are. crappy pic but identicle to yours. They are true florida ricordea and not yuma species.

PS: The iregular shape of the mouth is not what makes it a yuma.

The large body and the thick looking polyp extensions as well as the more uniform line like order ( usualy in a five point star sort a shape) tenticles, and wavey body is what makes a Yuma ricordea most recognizable as a "yuma". Even in the more smoothed polyp species of Yuma they still posess the same uniform like lines and wavey features. The most comonly mistaken coral for a Yuma however is with out a doubt the coralimorph mushroom coral. It has Much fleshier polyps as well as longer polyps but the same features otherwise.

Yumas can get close to around 5 inches in diameter where florida rics rarely see 3 inches. Most yumas have much larger mouths but they are primarily shaped the same as a florida ric. This is where they get ya in the petstores. " its a baby Yuma". NOT!!! They are usualy caribean floridian ricordia they got in a shipment for 9.99 or less a polyp. the easiest way to tell a Yuma from a florida ris however is to look for the "skirt". That band of slightly longer tantacles around the lower outer most edge of the ric.

They are beautifull corals non the less. I am not trashing your stock in any way shape or form. Just trying to make sure you know what you truely have is all. ;)

There. I posted a new pic so you could see that my polyps that came on the rock are indeed eagle eyes. The reason they are flat looking and fully expanded is because they are on the top of my reef directly under a 175w halide bulb.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm.. ok I'm not Larnie but, those are yumas in your picture. You can tell by the way that the raised mouth part has tenticles coming off of it. They are more or less round in shape, only have one mouth, the tenticles are more club shaped, and most likely divide by pedal laceration.

R. florida have no tenticles on the mouth, are more oval in shape, usually have more than one mouth, the mouth is usaully a different color (green) than the body, the tenticles are more rounded in shape, and usually divide by longitudinal fission.

BTW, the whole coral is a polyp and the projections that come off of it are tenticles.

More later when I have time.

you are absolutly fried My friend. To the extent that I can smell your brain cooking from here.

1.)The "polyp extensions" as I reffered to them as , are tenticles. And NO the whole coral is not a polyp. They are simply reffered to this as a "Trade standard term". They are not polyps at all. They are ANEMONES.

2.)There are tenticles around Florida species ricordea mouths. Whats more YUMA ricordea which are from the pacific ocean and not the caribean sea "DO" have tenticles on thier mouth's too .

3.)"R.Florida" as you call them can be any shape oval or round as with "R.Yuma". They both can be cemetrical or totaly out of round.

4.)You forgot to mention that "R.Yuma" are MUCH thicker than "R.Florida" and larger, and more colorful. Bozo.......

5.)ALL SPECIES OF RICORDEA REPRODUCE IN THE SAME MANOR.

THEY SPLIT AT THE MOUTH AND/OR DEVELOPE TWO OR MORE MOUTHS AND DIVIDE INTO TWO SEPERATE ANIMALS.

BTW did you happen to see what they are pictured next to? GSP'S and eagle eye polyps. Those rics are nearly full grown. You mean to tell me that YUMA rics only get 50 cent peice sized?

Have you ever even seen a Yuma ricordia before?

SWISH!!!!!! nothing but net!!!

Stay on da' portch if ya'cant hang with the big dawg'z. ;)

oh yeah:

Tell you more when I have the time

puppy:

Quotes from the Modern Reef Aquarium, pages 292 & 293:

reproduction of R. yuma " this species reproduces very rapidly asexually by longitudinal fission and pedal laceration or budding"

reproduction of R. florida "This species reproduces very rapidly by longitudinal fission and, occasionally, by pedal laceration."

Description of R. yuma "...There is usually only one oblong mouth opening.the tentacles are densly arranged and cover the whole disc, they have rounded or clavate (club-shaped) tips. Two types of tentacles:one short, about 3mm long and purplish, the other longer, about 6mm, and greenish. The marginal tentacles are well devloped and larger than the central ones and often possesses distinct acrospheres..."

Description of R. florida "the basal disc is irregular and very variable in outline. In solitary individuals, it is usually round, while in individuals living in colonies, it is oblong and wavy. There are usually one or two mouth openings, but up to seven have been found on the oblong and wavy type. ...the oral disc is more or less circular and has hundreds of short tentacles which cannot be retracted...Marginal tentacles are usually slimer with rounded tips..."

both types were said to be up to 8 cm in diameter.

So from what I can figure, either you have some confusion as to what you own, or Fossa & Nilsen are wrong. Perhaps you could post us some pics of your many other Ricordea that you could contrast those with to better educate the rest of us.

Nothing but net? maybe on another court.....

josh..., saltdawg has ric florida in those pics. the bumps on the mouth are called verrucae. tentacle not tenticle. symmetrical, not cemetrical. dawg your spelling is either intentionally bad or just plain bad.

My vote is still Yumas. actually....looking at your pics again, my vote has changed. Yours is definitely neither a florida nor a yuma... Larnie's is still a Yuma.

Wow... did I move your stick the wrong way or what?

The "polyp extensions" as I reffered to them as , are tenticles.
the projections that come off of it are tenticles

You and i are both correct.

They are not polyps at all.

Then what are they? There is only two forms of cnidarians: sessile POLYPS or free-swimming MEDUSAE. So which is it?

They are ANEMONES.

They are refered to as "false corals" or "Coral anemones", both are bad common names that have been applied to them but, "coral anemone" is closer to the truth. They fall some where in between the two. There has been evidence that they are more closely related to Scleractinia (stony corals) than Actiniaria (sea anemones).

2.)There are tenticles around Florida species ricordea mouths.

You know, I have seen R. florida with tentacles on the mouth but there was never as many nor were they as pronouced as they are on R. yuma

Whats more YUMA ricordea which are from the pacific ocean and not the caribean sea

Yes you are correct. Never did I say that they were from the Caribean. Believe me, I know which one comes from where.

3.)"R.Florida" as you call them can be any shape oval or round as with "R.Yuma".

Actually I called them R. florida and meant to call yuma, R. yuma. The correct way to name a species is, the first letter of the genus name is in capital letters and the species name is all in lowcase. The genus name always comes first, then the species name.

They both can be cemetrical or totaly out of round.

Yes both can be symmetrical(round) or oval shaped(totally out of round). IME, more often than not R. florida are oval in shape, lay very close to the substratum and, have multiple mouths(especially when they are going to split). R. yuma generally are more round in shape, extend up off the substratum on a more pronounced column and, there is usually only one very pronounced mouth at a time.

and larger, and more colorful. Bozo.......

R. yuma are larger, up to ~5" and R. florida get up to ~3.5". About them being more colorful, that would be subject to interpretation. Bozo... I'll leave that one alone.

5.)ALL SPECIES OF RICORDEA REPRODUCE IN THE SAME MANOR....

Yes all can reproduce by splitting(LONGITUDINAL FISSION) but, IME almost all of my R. florida have reproduced by splitting and all of my R. yuma have reproduced by PEDAL LACERATION(that is where the POLYP moves and leaves behind a small piece of the column and it then forms into a new POLYP, also known as budding). Bet you didn't know what that meant did you?

BTW did you happen to see what they are pictured next to? GSP'S and eagle eye polyps.

Those are EAGLE EYE'S? Wow you got screwed, how much did you pay for them? I have some PPE's that I would be willing to sell you.

Those rics are nearly full grown. You mean to tell me that YUMA rics only get 50 cent peice sized?

Never in my original post did I say that R. yuma only get to 50 cent piece sized.

Have you ever even seen a Yuma ricordia before?

No, I have never seen a Yuma ricordia but, I have seen a Ricordea yuma before. Check here at my gallery.

Here is a link for you read. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct...2002/invert.htm

The only way that those could be R. florida is if you collected them yourself or they came directly from the diver. Both are most likely not the case. Do you KNOW where you got yours from?

I know that my R. florida are from Florida because the LFS that I got mine from, only gets his from the diver himself. Now about my yumas, I am not 100% positive that they are R. yuma but, chances are pretty high that they are yumas. My LFS doesn't forget which Ricordea cost way more than the other Ricordea. Granted there could have been a mix up somewhere in the supply line and some yumas were called floridas or some floridas called yumas. Not everyone is perfect. Just because someone sold it to you as one thing doesn't mean that is what it truely is.

And to person that this post was intended for Larnie, BOTH of your Ricoridea in the other post are yumas.

Smokin-Reefer

wow, this was a ruthless thread!

Can't we all just enjoy two amazing corals in peace?

lol... This "larnie" dude hasn't even responded to this.

oh well. Florida or Yuma, I love em both!

Sorry Reefer, I just found this thread...

Dawg, those are great looking ricordia. It would be nice to have a colony like that! However, this thread is a little over the top for me. Its discussions like this that can give forums a bad name.

Can't we all just get along?

In my original post I was very pressed for time and had to keep my reply short. So sorry if I came off as a know it all, I'm not.

I would love to have a civilized discussion with anyone on taxonomy. Especially one that could possibly further my understanding of what is the difference between two species. Not that I am an expert but, it is a field of study that I have been thinking about going into. And obviously I still need more training.

1st of all. eagles eyes come in many contrasting colors but most all are called eagle eyes from the gold or orangish centers and brown outer ring. They can be orange centered with a tan ring, orange outers with a tan center..blah blah blah......and yes I am one hell of an horrific speller I know LOL!!!!

Embalyzim: "both types were said to be up to 8 cm in diameter. "

If you can show me a florida Ricordia that gets the same size as

a true Yuma ricordea I will GIVE you all of my corals. They dont . When they get a certain size, say around 2.5 inches maybe 3 they split every time.

and everything with the exception of maybe two statements I made comply exactly with what Fassa and Nilson stated.

Joshnemily: You are still fried. THEY ARE NOT YUMA'S.

Yes I know exactly where and who my LFS got them from.

They came from the caribean sea floor, and they got them from Tampa Bay salt water. I know the diver personaly who collected these as well. His name is Dave. Go to there web site and email him with this threads topic and ask him what he thinks. I bet you get your little mind even more boggled then it is now with the more of what I am telling you.

Experience is what makes a person knowledgable in this hobby not quoting from a book. For the most part ALL REEF AQUARIST BOOKS (not species and identifications) are best guess statments that worked for them in their set up. They may or may not work for you the reader.

I think three poeple who have more technical and scientific knowledge then all of us in this thread combined might know more than we do. My LFS owner operator, The owner of Tampa Bay Saltwater, and their diver who collected these.

I still stand by my statements! Larnies pink, orange ric is a florida ric. all be them beautiful corals the orangish pink ric is a florida ric.

The green one may possibly one as well as it is OVAL in shape.

HMMMMMMM????? now wasnt that a statement some one quoted from fassa and Nilson? "Most florida rics are oval in shape".

Dip-Shiat!

BTW I only paid 29 bucks for the 4 pounds or rock they are on , the other 3 orange/pink rics you dont see in the pic and the small colony of EAGLE eyes you dont see in the pic either.

Most people will pay 29 bucks for one floating orange ric.

No matter who you talk to or what you think they will still be florida ricordea and they will still be in my tank .

So get used to it.

By the way it is turning out be prepaired to be called a liar many more times as well on this board if you keep trying this BS on other people.

BTW click on the informative link you posted again and look at the picture of the florida ric and the YUMA.

then minimize and look at mine again. You WILL see and imediate difference in the yuma and florida ric.

I cant believe you even posted that. Your own link proves your a moron!!!!!!

Finaly do you reffer to an RBTA as a "polyp"? Noooo you say anemone. Rics are called polyps because it is a trade standard and they are infact anemones as are all FALSE CORAL MUSHROOMS.

Larnie: I am so sorry this thread that was meant to help you was turned into a bantering match by two dumbass's!

Accept my opologies please! ( and my bad spelling too BWHAHAHAHahaaa!) BTW your ric's are very very NICE!!!!!!!

thank you for the kind words on mine as well.

Tigahboy: Their are only two species of ricordea dude.

Florida and Yuma. The only other mushroom that resembles a ricordea is a long tenticled coralimorph. But even then they dont look that much like them.

in case you might edit your post again...

1st of all. eagles eyes come in many contrasting colors but most all are called eagle eyes from the gold or orangish centers and brown outer ring. They can be orange centered with a tan ring, orange outers with a tan center..blah blah blah......and yes I am one hell of an horrific speller I know LOL!!!!  

Embalyzim: "both types were said to be up to 8 cm in diameter. "

If you can show me a florida Ricordia that gets the same size as

a true Yuma ricordea I will GIVE you all of my corals. They dont . When they get a certain size, say around 2.5 inches maybe 3 they split every time.  

and everything with the exception of maybe two statements I made comply exactly with what Fassa and Nilson stated.

Joshnemily: You are still fried.  THEY ARE NOT YUMA'S.

Yes I know exactly where and who my LFS got them from.

They came from the caribean sea floor, and they got them from Tampa Bay salt water. I know the diver personaly who collected these as well. His name is Dave. Go to there web site and email him with this threads topic and ask him what he thinks. I bet you get your little mind even more boggled then it is now with the more of what I am telling you.

Experience is what makes a person knowledgable in this hobby not quoting from a book.  For the most part ALL REEF AQUARIST BOOKS (not species and identifications) are best guess statments that worked for them in their set up. They may or may not work for you the reader.

I think three poeple who have more technical and scientific knowledge then all of us in this thread combined might know more than we do. My LFS owner operator, The owner of Tampa Bay Saltwater, and their diver who collected these.

I still stand by my statements! Larnies pink, orange ric is a florida ric. all be them beautiful corals the orangish pink ric is a florida ric.

The green one may possibly one as well as it is OVAL in shape.  

HMMMMMMM????? now wasnt that  a statement some one quoted from fassa and Nilson? "Most florida rics are oval in shape".

Dip-Shiat!

BTW I only paid 29 bucks for the 4 pounds or rock they are on , the other 3 orange/pink rics you dont see in the pic and the small colony of EAGLE eyes you dont see in the pic either.

Most people will pay 29 bucks for one floating orange ric.

No matter who you talk to or what you think they will still be florida ricordea and they will still be in my tank .  

So get used to it.

By the way it is turning out be prepaired to be called a liar many more times as well on this board if you keep trying this BS on other people.

BTW click on the informative link you posted again and look at the picture of the florida ric and the YUMA.

then minimize and look at mine again. You WILL see and imediate difference in the yuma and florida ric.

I cant believe you even posted that. Your own link proves your a moron!!!!!!

Finaly do you reffer to an RBTA as a "polyp"? Noooo you say anemone. Rics are called polyps because it is a trade standard and they are infact anemones as are all FALSE CORAL MUSHROOMS.

Larnie: I am so sorry this thread that was meant to help you was turned into a bantering match by two dumbass's!

Accept my opologies please! ( and my bad spelling too BWHAHAHAHahaaa!) BTW your ric's are very very NICE!!!!!!!

thank you for the kind words on mine as well.

Tigahboy: Their are only two  species of ricordea dude.  

Florida and Yuma.  The only other mushroom that resembles a ricordea is a long tenticled coralimorph. But even then they dont look that much like them.

"Eagle Eyes" is a very specific color pattern - a name invented by a member of this board link

There are more than two species of Ricordea. It is very uncommon to see other than the two already mentioned inside the aquarium trade (strict collection laws). When it does happen, they are usually put in one of the two categories.

Originally posted by SaltyDawg

Here they are. crappy pic but identicle to yours. They are true florida ricordea and not yuma species.

PS: The iregular shape of the mouth is not what makes it a yuma.

The large body and the thick looking polyp extensions as well as the more uniform line like order ( usualy in a five point star sort a shape) tenticles, and wavey body is what makes a  Yuma ricordea most recognizable as a "yuma". Even in the more smoothed polyp species of Yuma they still posess the same uniform like lines and wavey features. The most comonly mistaken coral for a Yuma however is with out a doubt the coralimorph mushroom coral. It has Much fleshier polyps as well as longer polyps but the same features otherwise.

Yumas can get close to around 5 inches in diameter where florida rics rarely see 3 inches. Most yumas have much larger mouths but they are primarily shaped the same as a florida ric. This is where they get ya in the petstores. " its a baby Yuma". NOT!!! They are usualy caribean floridian ricordia they got in a shipment for 9.99 or less a polyp. the easiest way to tell a Yuma from a florida ris however is to look for the "skirt". That band of slightly longer tantacles around the lower outer most edge of the ric.

They are beautifull corals non the less. I am not trashing your stock in any way shape or form. Just trying to make sure you know what you truely have is all. ;)

There. I posted a new pic so you could see that my polyps that came on the rock are indeed eagle eyes. The reason they are flat looking and fully expanded is because they are on the top of my reef directly under a 175w halide bulb.

This statement is unclear to me. Are you saying R. florida or R. yuma has this "skirt?"

R. florida

4815RF-med.jpg

R. yuma

4815RY-med.jpg

I believe I see distinct "skirting" in both photographs....

(photos stolen from adin)

I really hate beating a dead horse but I am starting to enjoy this.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Sorry but all of the pics of the yumas on advanced aquarist still look just like yours to me. What one(s) are you refering to:

1) http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct...ma%20orange.htm

2) http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct...ma%20colors.htm

3) http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct...yumsolitary.htm

Could you please post a close up pic of your rics mouth area? That is were I am having trouble seeing clearly and to me that is the easiest way to tell the difference (and to pretty much everyone else).

Did you read the first paragraph of that article were it says "The order corallimorpharia, in the phylum Cnidaria, class Anthozoa, includes anemone-like and coral-like creatures that are very popular in the aquarium hobby due to their hardiness and fantastic range of color and form. Corallimorphs are, as their name implies, very coral-like, but they do not secrete a skeleton. They have radially arranged tentacles or pseudo tentacles, if present. " What? I didn't quite understand what he said, "very coral-like" Tell me what that means. :blink: I'm too fried to understand.

That is a very good price that you paid for your rics. Actually I think we both got our floridas from the same diver. :)

Like emokid said, what skirt are you talking about?

Everyone is free to post comments on my gallery if you think that I miss identified anything. I am very curious as to what other people think defines a certain species.

The only way that this could truely be resovled is if we did a DNA test. I am willing to pay for half of the test cost if you are willing to pay for the other.

And Salty, I have some research that I need you to do for me. Search for:

-binomial nomenclature or just nomenclature

-Lysdexia (that was intentional)

No. I am saying that the skirt it more distinct on the Florida ricordea than on the Yumas. The Yumas are or rather have fleshiers tenticles in most cases and the skirt is not so pronounced. Thank you for posting such clear and up close pics as well! Now you can realy see what I am talkng about! see how the Yuma's have a 5-6 point star like design? and how the florida ric dose not?

I never said there were only two "subspecies" which is what you are reffering to. I said there are only two "species". A gernaric term. There are several subspecies of both.

No he did not invent or coin the term eagles eyes. They have been called that around here for more than 10 years and all over the web. He may have came up with it for a selling tool unaware that the name was alreeady in use? That is neither here nore there. Ask DaemonFly's girlfriend who lives right down the road from me. Hell ask Daemonfly.

I met him 2 weeks ago when he bought some corals from me.

Why is this such a hard thing to grasp here?

My rics are florida ric's.

Thats it and thats all. Sheash people.

It seems to me every time a person states a cold hard fact people come out of the wood work to try their best to disprove him/or her.

Even in your own pic you can plainly see all that I have said in the differences with Yumas and Florida ricordea.

Lets stop the madness and picking apart sentences here people.

I could say I have a round shaped ric from florida and you could say " No you dont because they are oval !". Dosent mean I dont have one . Just means its a different shape.

tomatos, toma'tos............

Read what I wrote and look at your pic's. I am sure you will see what I am saying. I am just as open minded as the nex guy but man this is rediculous.

Emokid: BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAaaaaaaa!

Your killing me man!!!!!! That was freak'n funny!!!!!

I told you my typing as well as, spelling suck!!!! LOL!!

I am not the one prefessing to be the worlds foremost expert here.

Or trying to sound like it. Just backing up my comments. ;)

Joshnimly:

You have got to be SHi !@#ng me!!!!!!!!

There is no way you could possibly beleive those pictured from your link resemble mine.

Grasping straws are we?

Oh yeah !!!!

I did the research for you !

It means : Joshnemily is an anal rententive dick!

I beleive the term anal retentive is from the order "ass-monkey", under the geinus "Joshnemily", subspecies " ASSHAT!!!!"

BTW Who said you couldnt post?

Not me!!!

Post away my friend.

SInce we both got our rics from the same place I assume you have a direct contact with Tampa Bay Saltwater?

So EMAIL HIM !! ask him whuch they are. Yuma or florida.

Then tell him exactly what you discribed to me and everyone else on this board how they resemble eachother.

MORON!

I doubt you even get a reply.

If you do it would probably be to ask you not to let your little boy type on the big boy toys anymore.

Good God this is getting lame.......

Perhaps some of the members are having difficulty accepting your go at Jr. Taxonomist when your spelling is worse than your nomenclature syntax. Afterall, you could be right with the identification (no, not really).

LMFAO...

Good God this is getting lame.......
Isn't it though!

You call them what you want. I'll call mine what I want to.

I am serious about the DNA testing though. Who knows, it may do some good for this hobby.

Binomial Nomenclature

The present system of binomial nomenclature identifies each species by a scientific name of two words, Latin in form and usually derived from Greek or Latin roots. The first name (capitalized) is the genus of the organism, the second (not capitalized) is its species. The scientific name of the white oak is Quercus alba, while red oak is Quercus rubra. The first name applies to all species of the genus—Quercus is the name of all oaks—but the entire binomial applies only to a single species. Many scientific names describe some characteristic of the organism (alba=white; rubra=red); many are derived from the name of the discoverer or the geographic location of the organism. Genus and species names are always italicized when printed; the names of other taxa (families, etc.) are not. When a species (or several species of the same genus) is mentioned repeatedly, the genus may be abbreviated after its first mention, as in Q. alba. Subspecies are indicated by a trinomial; for example, the southern bald eagle is Haliaeetus leucocephalus leucocephalus, as distinguished from the northern bald eagle, H. leucocephalus washingtoniensis.

The advantages of scientific over common names are that they are accepted by speakers of all languages, that each name applies only to one species, and that each species has only one name. This avoids the confusion that often arises from the use of a common name to designate different things in different places (for example, see elk), or from the existence of several common names for a single species. There are two international organizations for the determination of the rules of nomenclature and the recording of specific names, one for zoology and one for botany. According to the rules they have established, the first name to be published (from the work of Linnaeus on) is the correct name of any organism unless it is reclassified in such a way as to affect that name (for example, if it is moved from one genus to another). In such a case definite rules of priority also apply.

Josh: now read where it goes on to describe "subspecies"

DUHH once again proved wrong by your own documentation! LOL!!!!

I agree I call MINE what they realy are ( florida ric's). :)

You call yours what ever you want. BTW I dont think I have even seen yours to judge what they are?

600 bucks to determine which subspecies this little bastard is?

No thanks! LOL!!!

adinsxq : Oh please!!!! enjoying your ride on the band wagon are we? What constructive documentation or visual proof have you offered to decipher the two? I believe none!!!!!

SHAD APP!!!!!! ;) I can at least respect Joshnimly's knowledge however displaced it may be. He and others did the work for you.

I bet you are French arent you! The Americans are winning!!! Get out our riffles!!! Oh no the Germans are advancing !!! Run and hide!!!!!!

sad. very sad.

Archived