Coral Vue Hydros

aquatraders.com

bigbenji

UPS (ground) is estimating arrival on 12-6-04. Aquatraders has answered all of my emails promptly with answers I like, so I don't anticipate any problems. I just can't wait to see what others think about their lights. I only ordered the skimmer, but a lighting upgrade at their prices would be great.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bigbenji

I'm pretty sure the pro-pak doesn't come with the powerhead as its not in the picture.  CPR uses the rio 600 venturi design and everyone's selling it for about $15.

You'd be better off buying their knock off bacpak FOR this reason. Rios are noisy pieces of crap!

Use a maxijet or something. I hate the rio that came with my cpr 2R.

I may shell out some dough for the odyessa 18 watt cf strip to light my fuge/sump.

also, buyer beware, the odyssea 48" t5 is not HO (high output), so, its basically crap, unless you have a FOWL.

Just went to their store and yeah the lights are cheap. I picked up an 1x18w 50/50 for my one gallon pico I just started and a 1x 65w 50/50 for my nano. The guy there was really nice. He opened the sealed box to make sure everything was there and tested the lights for me. He told me that the store just opened 3 months ago. Not too many saltwater fish and he said that they won;t be carrying corals, just live rocks.

Oh btw,

lights were 19.99 and 39.99

I've never had a problem with Rio pumps/powerheads. (I think I'm in the minority..I know..lol) I've got a pair of Rio 600's on my new 15 and they're running fine after running well for over 2 years on my last system. (Come to think of it..make that 3 Rio's..my Bak Pak is run off a Rio too). I think..like with everything else..YMMV.

Cheers,

Fred

PS--Can't wait for that nice little MH hood to come out in January from aquatraders...;)

Got my pro-pak today. There's no instructions, but it seems pretty straight forward. Its up and running but I've got 2 problems. The powerhead isn't sucking in any air. The airline is free of water and I've blown into it just to make sure. Do I need an air pump for this? Also, leveling is a pain. The cpr bak-pak looks like the in and out are level and this shouldn't be an issue. With my pro-pak, the intake is well below the output, making the whole thing crooked. I've put a spare piece of acrylic under the output to raise it to get it level, but there's got to be somehting I'm missing.

Got it up and running finally. I hooked up a rio 600 w/ venturi uptake (just like a real bak-pak) and its working fine. The leveling is the only thing I'm frustrated with, as I've got a piece of acrylic holding up the output pvc. I still don't know how I'm supposed to get this thing level without a mod. In all, I'm happy with the purchase just because I saved about $50. I paid $50 for the skimmer, and $15 for the rio.

• 2 weeks later...

bigbin , just a question how much did you pay on shipping. im going to buy there 48" 2x 150w HQI + 4x T5's for $330 but the shipping for ground from socal to atlanta is $70.00!!! am i just crazy or does that sound a bit pricy?

Yo, that 186W MH/PC sounds real good. However, it doesn't seem to have any fans on it. Guess I'm gonna wait for someone else to try it out.

All excited about it by the way...

Originally posted by bigbenji

The leveling is the only thing I'm frustrated with, as I've got a piece of acrylic holding up the output pvc.  I still don't know how I'm supposed to get this thing level without a mod.  

The "real" Bak Pak's are the same way. The input pipe is lower than the output pipe. That's why they add a piece of acrylic on the output side that's at the same height as the input pipe. Should be an easy mod.

Well I feel slightly better then. However, considering they don't have any policies regarding returns or warranties, I can't recommend the company. Last time I checked, the policies link was bad, and they gave no information regarding returns/ warranties.

• 2 weeks later...

hm... ???

I had every intention to order one of their 2X65watt fixtures (bulbs included). BEST deal i have seen. But.. now you guys have gotten me curious... maybe ill give them a call just to ensure they are legit.

Either way, ill let you all know.

Anyone yet recieve lighting from them? How was it?

Bought 3 lights from them. 2 about 1.5 months ago from their store. The 3rd I ordered online and just received from UPS. I ordered online because they wouldn't honor the web price at the store. Anyway strange thing is that they don't charge tax even though the store is only 10 minutes away. I bought the (11 in 18 watt) for my 1 gallon pico at work. The second is a (24 in 1X65) for my 7 gal minibow. And, finally I just received my (48 in 4x55 watt) for my 40 gal long tank (48x11x16) I'm going to start.

Price were: 11in = $18.99, 24i = $29.99, 48in = $73(shipped)

Haven't had a single problem with any of the lights. I ordered online in the evening, and they shipped the next day. Packed nicely in a fairly sturdy box.

I just ordered the 110w compact fluourescent from them a couple days ago. I would have gotten the 130w but they were sold out. I ordered it in black. The very next day (yesterday) I got a call from the company saying black was out, but I could wait til Monday or they could sub in the silver and send it right away. Since I have some corals in already, I opted for the silver.

I'll update when they get here.

well i just purchased the 48 inch 130 watt odyssea hood. i am outting it on my 50 gallon fowlr to try to get a little more coralline to grow on the new rock i just got.

will keep everyone posted

Archived