Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My new nanocube DX

DarkXerox

Dzergoski: Oh it is the same piece, I was just able to twist it and hide most of it behind the black frame of the tank.

Palani: I also got the sand from Drs Foster and Smith, its called Tahitian Moon or something, but I don't recommend it. The black sand is just a hassle to keep clean.

fishtaco: It's actually a colt in the center heh, I don't think I'm good enough to keep a carnation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of want to add some red to the tank, any ideas? I was thinking a red/green brain since I don't think I can afford acans or blastos lol.

DX

I really like the sense of scale that you've developed in your tank. It's not cluttered up with overly large pieces that have no room to grow out. I think it makes the tank look larger, very "Uchiha-ish".

Originally posted by larnie

DX

I really like the sense of scale that you've developed in your tank. It's not cluttered up with overly large pieces that have no room to grow out. I think it makes the tank look larger, very "Uchiha-ish".

haha thats what happens when you have no money :P

Haha yeah, well I'm just making sure that I add things that wont cause a problem later or not look that great. Uchiha is a bit of an inspiration for sure since he started with a cube too, but he showed that it does take a long time to get a tank to look the right way. Patience is key haha, not just during the cycle

• 2 weeks later...

Well spring break is coming and when im done, there should be a 150w MH above the tank, and some SPS are gonna start making appearances! So stay tuned for a big overhaul!

Plus if you want to find out where I am getting it from, check out my profile and ignore the dashes under "interests". ;)

hahhha!!! damn right spring break is coming! i can't wait, it'll be coral mania! gonna try to hit everysingle lfs on the westcoast! jk..mb the main ones i've heard ;): tongs, jeffs, bob's tropical...go back and visit: PTF, jans tropical, total fish and pets...

Cool so the tank is being taken care of by my bio prof so it will be over a week again before I see it. However since I am home, it is time to overhaul my dad's 55G and turn it into the SPS monster that we planned a year ago when we got the halides. So I'll have to razorblade off a ton of mushrooms, catch the damsels and tomato clown, and rearrange the rocks.

Also my replacement shipment of coral that fedex killed arrived. Got 1 blue ric, 2 greens, 1 pink/blue/green, 1 gold, a frag of birdsnest, a frag of pink montipora digitata, a green hydnophora frag, and I got some unknown SPS frag from the LFS. So I'll get pics this friday of the frags and the before/after of the 55g when it incurs my wrath haha. I hope I don't get spiked by the rabbitfish!

sweet tank man. That cherub is sweet. I really like mine. Hes been pretty good about the whole nipping coral deal. Havn't seen him do it once. Nice dendro BTW. Keep up the good work!

Oooooh LOOK WHAT CAME!!!! I won the contest over on another website (PM me and I can tell you, hint: it rhymes with faltcreep.com)

Icecap MH Pendant w/ Iwaski 150w 6500k flood bulb with ballast and hanging wires:

9716DSC00197.JPG

9716DSC00201.JPG

9716DSC00199.JPG

Cool design huh? Reflector, UV shield and bulb all in one! The tests over on advanced aquarist show that it puts out PAR that is close to a normal 250w DE MH! OH man, SPS and clams here I come!

Well I finally finished:

9716DSC00202-med.JPG

And here it is from the front with my new coral:

9716DSC00206-med.JPG

9716DSC00205-med.JPG

Got a few acro frags, hydno frag (in the back), bridsnest frag, that orange fungia, another orange ric, a blue ric (should color up soon), monti digi frag, that yellow/purple digi cap, and other stuff. This light is awesome! The tank is actually 5 degrees cooler with it up there then when I had the stock nanoDX hood.

congrats! you did what i was too lazy to do (with my MH upgrade)...

glad to see you're getting into the SPS business, as for me, i think i'm about to call it quits on SPS, my tank is too full of nutrients (from feeding my LPS/fish/clams), so keep in mind it's not all about lighting to keep SPS healthy, you will need PRISTINE water too. good luck! :)

PS: time to think of an upgrade since you got that light...!!! i suggest a 20L? keep ur nano-cube as a frag tank, and move everything over to display in a new tank! :D

Haha I know, I think that I might take my dad's sump (TruVu 20H) when he upgrades and make that my tank this summer, then use the nanocube as the sump for that (drill in the hood and make it a fuge).

But I think that I really want to go acrylic since I have had nothing but good experiences with TruVu. The 55G we have with that 20G sump is over 20 years old, and has evolved from goldfish to saltwater FO, to FOWLR, to softie reef, and finally SPS.

If I work at the LFS again this summer, I might get a 20-30g acrylic, get it drilled so I can set up a SCWD (I dont want powerheads in the tank), use the same MH, and get a fuge/sump. Depends what will fit in my dorm room next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really, I use airline tubing to suck out small particles and the conch + nass snails keep it well stirred. I have a feeling it would look better if I "cooked" and scrubbed my rocks before, but it looks ok. If I did it over, I probably would rather go back to the white aragonite that everyone uses.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got a great deal on a cali tort frag, a really cool looking reddish montipora, a small frag of millepora, and a few other things (along with a rose anemone that is staying put in its corner). Once I get my camera back, I'll put up a few photos.

The first SPS frags are doing really well and have growth on their tips and are encrusting all over the epoxy, plus theyre coloring up a bit.

Archived