SaltCritters.com

My new nanocube DX

DarkXerox

Well here it is after exactly a week. There is about 10 pounds of what I think is Tonga LR (correct me if I'm wrong) with some nice color that has died off a little. The sand is Tahitian Moon black sand. Also there is a 50 watt ebo-jager heater in the back. I probably am going to wait until after the end of the year before I add any fish since I have thanksgiving break for a week, then two weeks after that I have winter break. So I will add some easy inverts and probably some extra coral frags from my dad's.

This is my "first" tank that I did by myself and is "mine" heh. However , I've worked in a pet/fish store the past 2 summers and my dad's tank is over 3 years old now. So we will see how I can manage on my own.

The nanocube DX is a whole lot better over the old one and I am pretty happy with it so far. There are scratching issues, but as I do not need to move LR anymore, this shouldn't be a problem anymore. As you can see, the fans only draw in air from the outside since the whole lighting area and the fan chamber are attached, so I dont think they will wear out anytime soon (much better than the fan mods I have seen).

So I will probably get a MH fixture in the future but I will just let this go as it is for now. As for livestock, I am thinking of just basic stuff, but currently I have (in my dad's tank) frags of frogspawn, green galaxea, colt, and I can frag the GSP, candycane, hammer, and other stuff too perhaps.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lastly the back where you can see how the fans have their own chamber in the lid so that whole skimmer design that one person go to work with the old cube would probably not work:

I have a new 12 g Nano,I was told by my LFS to put the sponge filter in the first chamber and put live rocks in the 2nd chamber then put my carbon bag on top of the live rocks, I have my heater in the chamber with the pump, how is yours set up?

Are you getting surface scum? I set up mine last night and the scum collected quickly. I thought they solved that problem. I like to have the water level over the top border, but it is above the slotted intake if I do that. Looks like a design flaw.

Unfortunately it appears that they opted not to do an overflow...why we will never know. I guess one good thing is that it still allows the people to mod a small ammount. I suggest getting some regular aquarium silicon and filling in that rear vent, and cutting some over flow teeth.

Word to the wise on the sponges....get rid of them. They are handy when you stir the water up and you want to get the sedimnt out quickly, but much past that they are a nitrate factory, and will do nothing more than cause problems.

Almost forgt...the most important thing and the reason why I posted here in the first place.

Your rockwork, and aquascaping looks great. You have a knack with setting rockwork up and making it look great. I have to say I am very excited to see what you are gonna do wityh your tank in the future.

Thanks for the compliments on the rock! I made sure that my boss saved me the best pieces from the last shipment he got, so I was able to get ahold of some great pieces.

As for the sponges, I am keeping one in there for now just to grab all the junk that is coming out. I think that it should be ok as long as you rinse it out in tankwater when you do a change. However if it causes problems, I'm gonna get rid of it for sure.

As for skimming, I am getting some stuff forming at the top that looks oily---but not really the same as what I have seen on the old nanocube. I think that if you keep the water level just below the vent, it might clear it up and I will try this soon.

As for how the back is set up, I put the heater in the right chamber also (suction cupped to the rear) with the cord running out the slot on the left rear of the hood. I have the carbon bag in the middle slot along with some aragonite live sand in a bag from my dad's 55G which I am using to seed my "dead" black sand.

Right now it is an absolute alage mess! You literally can't see anything that is white on the rocks anymore, which I could care less about since it is still cycling a bit. I put in some brittle stars (the really tiny kind) from my dad's tank that reproduce like nuts and they seem to be doing ok. However the copepods that I kept in a jar while I waited for the nitrites to dop didn't make it and died 3 hrs before I was going to put then in :(

But this weekend I think I'll do a 20% change if the nitrites are gone and maybe pick up a snail from a local place since I am at my dorm. The LFS that I worked at is 45min north in Oakland so I am not going to get anything heavy livestock wise until after thanksgiving.

• 3 weeks later...

Need an opinion here on my tank's aquascaping.

Should I leave it the way it is, or rearrange it since there is a lot of wasted space in the back on the left and the right. As it is currently, the rocks are very vertical and I think that I am losing a lot of coral space this way.

Any ideas on how I should change it? I am up to try anything before I start adding to it heavily.

Xerox, i think your tank is fantastic... you've got some great aquascaping there already. wasted spaces is not that big of a problem once you start adding corals because you'll find that the empty portions quickly fill up when u add corals attached onto LR. you'll see what i mean when u start stocking your tank.

if you're thinkin about empty space towards the back, you can always get something tall, like some hammer/torch LPS colony that will help fill things in. anyways, that's my opinion, leave the aquascaping as is, it's beautiful already, don't mess it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok heres some updated shots before I leave for winter break. Unfortunately I haven't been able to add much since I am afraid of what could happen over the winter break so you can see that my patience is pretty heavy compared to some :P

I added 4 astrea snails, 3 turbos, 4 nassarius, and 1 cerith for the time being. Also one fighting conch and what I think is a red fiddler(i think) who is pretty safe I am sure since I have 2 in my dad's 55. As far as coral goes, I grabbed some frags from my dad's including 1 piece of green galaxy coral, a mat of GSP that I razored off his rocks (not open in the pic, but it opens 75% during the day), and a slice of that dying colt (which ended up being 4 healthy frags). The colt is really ####ing me off since I have tried EVERYTHING to keep it down and it refuses to attach. I am getting really close to spearing it and supergluing it with plastic rods, but I don't have the time since its finals week.

Doesnt look like a galax. to me, but not the greatest pic either.

I do love the rockwork! Personally, my style is to break up rocks and use them to aquascape like I would a larger tank. Yours looks great though!

It is, or at least the parent colony was when I fragged it from my dad's ;) The picture does suck since I don't have my dad's Canon down there, I just have some pos sony cybershot.

I'm not going to be able to update till about mid Jan when I get back to school since I'm at home right now. I've had to be really patient cause of all the holidays (thanksgiving week, now till january, etc.) and I'm holding off on livestock that I really would like until then, so no fish, coral that isn't cheap, or any ornamental shrimp till then.

Archived