Top Shelf Aquatics

My new nanocube DX

DarkXerox

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

damn you could have told me that earlier Chris!

I think I'll try it out tomorrow when I go check on the tank at school(last time I'll see it till the 2nd of Jan).

Its a galaxy, trust me here! I have a torch in the same tank on the right side and it does not reproduce at the same rate this does. Here I'll post pics of the 55.

Edit: I checked on the tank after 8 days and the waterlevel had dropped only 1 cm, SG was nearly the same, and for the first time there was no algae whatsoever in the tank (as in brown algae on the sand and green all over). Pods are multiplying and the tank looks great so I'll start adding in the new year.

I guess I'll list the livestock/equip (even though im going a little off topic but what the heck). These pics were taken about a month ago so that big colt coral is now 4 small frags after it contracted some infection and the main part died.

Equipment:

55 Gallon Truvu hex (one of those long hexes, tank itself has been through many permutations and is almost 15 years old now)

3' Hamilton Protostar 2x250W HQI 10k w/ 2x96w Actinics (new so the tank still contains the stuff kept under PC)

20 Gallon Truvu sump w/ some really old school venturi skimmer, ebo jager heaters, etc.

3 powerheads controlled by a Tsunami Wavemaker

Fish:

1 Zebrasoma flavescens (yellow tang, total champ whos been through the dead skeleton 80's style reef stage, a couple cycles, and is over 5 years old)

1 Siganus unimaculatus (One Spot foxface rabbitfish, over 4 years old now, total pig!)

1 Chrysiptera cyanea (blue damsel I think, correct me if I'm wrong, he was part of the cycling stage years ago before we knew about the whole cocktail shrimp method)

1 Amphiprion Frenatus (Tomato Clown, total witch and now that she has two RBTAs, shes gotten meaner)

1 Dascyllus melanurus (striped damsel, 1 of 4 that were part of the cycle, can't catch this guy)

1 Pseudochromis fridimani (Orchid dottyback, 4 year oldie also)

2 Pseudoanthias bartlettorum (bartlett's anthias)

1 Synchiropus spledidus (Psych mandarin, Newest fish in the tank at 8 months, eats frozen mysis, brine, blood worms, cyclo, etc.)

1 Chelmon rostratus (Copperband, Most "useful" fish in the tank, aiptasia had taken over and as you can see, is gone now)

Plus the obligitory blood shrimp, skunk cleaner, nassariuses, red legs, and other fun inverts. There are a couple maximas and RBTAs in there now that are doing well, while the coral is very simple stuff. The plan is to switch to a 72 Bowfront next year, catch all the aggressive fish, and go into SPS since those shrooms have taken over as you can see heh.

• 4 weeks later...

Well heres a low quality shot of my DX right now. I got a free sun polyp and a frogspawn colony. Also I bought a tank raised percula and a cherub angel along with a cleaner shrimp. Ah and that bright green inverted brain coral too.

As for the 55, I'll try to take some shots when I'm home this weekend. It doesn't look too great right now heh, I really am just waiting to transfer it over to a 72G tank soon. That way I'll be able to dump the ugly shrooms and start some SPS.

dayum i still love that aquascaping!!

love the corals, great find, as for that cherub, keep us updated on how it does in the confines of the nano-cube. get some more pix and more corals!!!

The cherub is a TOTAL pig! He eats pods all over the tank along with pellets, flakes, frozen mysis/brine, formula 1, and pygmy angel formula. The clown prefers biting my hand and pulling on the hairs X) hes not too smart haha, and its kind of startling if I'm not paying attention. But he likes flakes the most since hes a tankraised guy.

As for the suncoral, its kind of messed up since I found it in the back of the clam tank at the LFS and half of it is dead. It opens up around 6pm now and stays open until when I go to sleep even, so I'm not sure how long its open after that.

I've been doing bowl feedings of mysis and formula 1, but I'd rather get some forceps and do it in the tank when I get the cyno under control (got a MJ 606 on order and you can see the spraybar in the pic). The bowl floats in the tank to reduce stress and it makes the clown flip out cause he can't get at the food haha.

I've got some rics on order but I still haven't gotten a confirmation email so I dunno whats going on. I wont pay until they respond ;)

But I'm going to be really picky with what I put in so I don't have something ugly take over.

I'm tempted to try one of the extra RBTAs that split in my dad's 55G, but I've heard what menaces they can be in nanos. I know that with very diligent feedings of silversides/mysis/etc and stable water conditions, they can be kept in cubes (theres one in an old 24watt cube at lfs thats is as old as the first nanocube so at least a year and it hasn't been changed while I've worked there ;) )

But they are sensitive and shouldn't be trifled with if you aren't ready to care for them. Plus the second theres a problem, it would go back into the 55 haha.

Anyways, do you guys think adding a neon goby would be pushing it? I think it would be, but I might if the trates stay down.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well I got a ton of ricordea in today at my house so when I come back to school this sunday, I'll acclimate them and post pics.

I also got a neon goby and a pom pom crab this week too!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm in the process of researching for my 24g nanocube DX. You mentioned a spray bar and I see something unusual in the picture up at the right hand corner. Is that it? Where did you get it and how does it work? Thanks! (By the way, Michael Schumacher is King :) )

Thanks for the info on the spray bar.

I started a thead here about the different ways that JBJ Nano Cube owners set up their cubes. "Members' Nano Reefs » JBJ Nano-Cubers Filtration Ideas." If you get a chance would you please post your set up, how you have your rear compartments, pump manufacturer & sizes, etc., and any changes you made? There are a lot of us who want to get started, but it seems like everyone sets them up differently! I just ordered to of the new ones from Chris--one for seahorses and one eventually for SPS and LPS. Now I'm tormenting myself about how to set them up!

I am more than ready for F1 season to start! I often check the F1 website for their countdown. My husband take the kids out for breakfast on GP Sunday mornings, so I can watch my race in peace! When I was growing up, we went to Watkins Glen for 10 days every year to watch the cars unload, walk through the garages, etc. AWESOME. My 4-year-old isn't good on the names, but she knows the red car always wins! Good luck on Kimi and Montoya not killing each other!

Originally posted by DarkXerox

Yeah it is just the piece marked Q. here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...090&N=2004+6200

I checked out the site you recommended and found the piece, but yours doesn't seem to have as many "shooter outers" as that piece in the catalog. Did you cut it apart or does it come apart or did you use the whole thing and it just doesn't show in the picture? It is listed as being 10".

Archived