Coral Vue Hydros

Fish are getting sick. Need advice please

Jesss

Hi guys! 
I'm a new member to Nano Reef. I currently have a Fluval 13.5 tank. It has been running for 2 years without any issues. A couple of days ago one of our fishes died and yesterday one of our clown fishes died. We noticed that he was looking a little slimy or flakey. On the white parts of his body they developed grey spots. This morning we woke up and our other clown has grey spots on the white part of their body. I have not had this happen before. This is the first pair of clowns that we put in the tank when we started. 

We have not added any new fish into the tank either or changed anything in the tank. 

I have attached some photos of the fish that passed away. You can see some of the grey spots that he developed. The tank was put on feed mode so that is why it might look like there is no flow in the tank. 

If someone could please send over some advice on what it could be I would really appreciate it. 

AD02CB60-0B9E-4A62-8EA2-E1FFF7BCA9EC.jpeg

image (1).jpg

image.jpg

Fish getting sick "for no reason" is pretty unheard of if they've been going strong for 2+ years....so think again on any changes that might have impacted the tank, even if there were no changes to the tank per se....or just something you are not thinking about.   Stale food?  Change in house temperature?  Many possibilities.

Is it just me or are the scales "standing up" on that fish?  IMO that means "dropsy", which is usually some kind of an internal infection....usually not much you can do; treatments have a low success rate.

If you need to point at something as a cause (ie. can't think of anything in the way of changes, etc, to explain it), then this is probably from having too many fish in too small a tank....clowns are generally recommended for 20 Gallons and up.  Dropsy is kinda one of the possible outcomes in an overcrowded tank.

Two years ago they were undoubtedly much smaller and less "grown up" in their personalities – still an OK fit for this little tank.  

Fast forward to present, and they have MUCH larger metabolisms and personalities.  

"13.5 gallons" is probably more like 10 gallons of space for them, minus decorations, rock, etc.  

So maybe closer to 8 actual gallons for them to live in.

My guess is that you're right and there's no "other cause" than this.