Pod Your Reef

Duncan bleaching?

Seb8316

mcarroll

Try a different app OR try measuring a little more off-center from the lights if the app is giving you something like "ERR" because levels are too high.  (It should be able to handle levels up to sunlight tho, which is around 100,000 lux....).  IMO try a different app if you can't get a measurement from this one.

Seb8316

Ive tried 3 apps so far. One app is  measuring 200 lux but that was with my “diffuser” The others said that i needed one.

mcarroll

200 sounds like you might be using the wrong camera, facing away from the lights.  Either flip over the phone, or see if there's a switch in the app to make it use the other camera.  You shouldn't need a diffuser for what we're doing.  (And the app dev had no idea you'd be measuring a tank....their advice is for other purposes.)

mcarroll

Keep trying.  👍

You'll know if you're using the app correctly – you should see readings in the range of 5,000-30,000 lux (or higher).  

Lower than that range and either you or the app are doing something wrong.  If you've tried 3+ apps, chances are you're doing something wonky.  See if you can get a reading in the correct range.  

Seb8316

I got it to work and its 1300 par. I don’t think thats good. But then again, I’m using paper, not the real thing

lux i mean

Seb8316

image.thumb.jpg.68c2e81be50c7c74655fc681e2f92d1e.jpg

All that white stuff is glue. I had a lot of trouble gluing all the frags. got all over my hands too.

• Like 1
mcarroll
16 hours ago, Seb8316 said:

I got it to work and its 1300 par. I don’t think thats good. But then again, I’m using paper, not the real thing

lux i mean

You should be able to aim the camera directly at the light and get a reading.  

If it's giving you the number in PAR, then you'd want something in the range of (5000÷60=) 80 PAR to 500 PAR.   2,000 PAR = 100,000 lux = direct summer sunlight at sea level.   

If it's really 1300 PAR then your tank is over-lit.  BUT... I'd double check that reading (two apps should give you very similar results if the reading is correct) before you take any action based on it tho.  

FYI a dedicated handheld lux meter is way better and only costs $10-20 online.

mcarroll
1 hour ago, Seb8316 said:

1300 Lux at water level

Unless you're measuring pretty far off center from the light's position I think 1,300 lux is still too low to be a good reading....only about 20 PAR.  

Mostly just a curiosity since you say the light worked fine for corals before, but it's also usually easier to measure than this.  🤷‍♂️

Seb8316

I think I know why all my corals aren’t doing so well. The unstable salinity. I just tested right now and it was 1.030 sg . I put in multiple water bottles to bring it down to 1.026.

• Agree 1
empresto

You say you added water bottles to bring down your salinity. Distilled, or just typical grocery store bottles of drinking water? Distilled is great. Regular bottled water is often no better than your own tap water.

mcarroll
7 hours ago, Seb8316 said:

I think I know why all my corals aren’t doing so well. The unstable salinity. I just tested right now and it was 1.030 sg . I put in multiple water bottles to bring it down to 1.026.

Good catch! 😎👍

1.030 is REALLY high....possibly even high enough to start affecting bacteria (eg your bio-filter).

Do you plan to run an automatic top off at some point?

Seb8316
7 hours ago, empresto said:

You say you added water bottles to bring down your salinity. Distilled, or just typical grocery store bottles of drinking water? Distilled is great. Regular bottled water is often no better than your own tap water.

My bottled water is is r/o water.

IMG_3216.jpeg

Seb8316
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Good catch! 😎👍

1.030 is REALLY high....possibly even high enough to start affecting bacteria (eg your bio-filter).

Do you plan to run an automatic top off at some point?

Idk if i will run an ato. If things get worse than maybe.

colormegone
8 hours ago, Seb8316 said:

IMG_3216.jpeg

If you can't make your own water, then you should get distilled water. Looks like that is just drinking water and is not pure enough for your reef set up IMO

mcarroll
12 hours ago, Seb8316 said:

I also don’t have the room.

Adding a glass/solid lid can cut down A LOT on evaporation if it becomes an issue but you can't figure a way to install an ATO.  👍 

mcarroll
12 hours ago, Seb8316 said:

IMG_3216.jpeg

For some reason that pic of the water bottle just showed up for me.

That appears to be RO water with additives (that are good for you), but will throw off your saltwater ratios a bit, although not by much. (see p.10 of PDF)

It's also going to have more "leftovers" in the water that RODI....make sure you check out that link.   That stuff (along with some thing they don't test for) is the reason we use RODI in the hobby and not just RO.

In the short run this is probably not significant enough to matter as long as that isn't the same water you're using for water changes.  (Use RODI.)

If that bottled water is the same water you're using for water changes, then in the long run you'll have a slow buildup of the calcium chloride and bicarbonates they add, along with all those leftovers from the source water they use.

In the long run, I'd recommend switching to RODI.  

In the short run, there's no real reason not to switch to distilled....usually doesn't cost any more than the other bottled waters.

Seb8316
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

For some reason that pic of the water bottle just showed up for me.

That appears to be RO water with additives (that are good for you), but will throw off your saltwater ratios a bit, although not by much. (see p.10 of PDF)

It's also going to have more "leftovers" in the water that RODI....make sure you check out that link.   That stuff (along with some thing they don't test for) is the reason we use RODI in the hobby and not just RO.

In the short run this is probably not significant enough to matter as long as that isn't the same water you're using for water changes.  (Use RODI.)

If that bottled water is the same water you're using for water changes, then in the long run you'll have a slow buildup of the calcium chloride and bicarbonates they add, along with all those leftovers from the source water they use.

In the long run, I'd recommend switching to RODI.  

In the short run, there's no real reason not to switch to distilled....usually doesn't cost any more than the other bottled waters.

Alright. Good to know.

• Like 1
Seb8316

Maybe hes bleaching because of my broken light schedule. On weekdays it will stay on 10 percent the whole day, on weekends ill ramp it up to 100 percent. I’m having a lot of trouble with my light schedule. I leave at 7:30 for school and come back at 5-6.