Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Duncan bleaching?

Seb8316

After my peppermint shrimp stopped harassing my duncan, one of the heads has been turning white. Any help would be appreciated. image.thumb.jpg.95dfef927ae7b7a31128a4c9644fe52e.jpgThe frag was introduced on Tuesday. 

Seems like there is skeleton visible too?  If so that's not a good sign.

How old is this tank and what are your water test numbers like currently?

• 2 weeks later...
Seb8316

Sorry for the late response. It’s been getting worse now. Tank is 3 months old. I tested last tuesday.

Parameters

Phosphate .15 (a bit high but a decrease from last week .25) 

Magnesium 1360

Alk 9.3

Calcium 435

Ammonia 0

Nittrite 0

Nitrate 10

PH 8.15

image.thumb.jpg.d077810c89c96da22516f6bb65c7265f.jpg

mcarroll

pH 8.1 is on the high side of "normal" for a home reef tank....7.8'ish is more normal.   Could be nothing/unrelated (neither number is "bad" per se), but any idea what might explain this?  Corals seem to do a little better at slightly lower pH (implying higher dissolved CO2/bicarbonate levels).

Could be that the coral was damaged before you got it, but we could also use some more info about your tank...  

What lights do you have?  Lux or PAR readings would also help.  (Color settings too if that's relevant....color should be something like 20,000K.).

Flow pumps?  Does flow seem moderate or strong or weak?  

Is there a refugium?  

What kind of filters, if any?  

Maybe a full tank picture too?

Seb8316

According to other sources, ph is fine 7.8-8.4. It is stable though, so I don’t think it would be a problem. The coral seems to be getting between low and medium flow. image.thumb.jpg.051b768139c0dd35993c0ae0bf32c5f3.jpgNo refugium since this is only a ten gal. For my filters i have an hob rated for 5-10 gal and a sponge filter rated for 10 gal. I don’t know anything about the light, all I know is that it grew coral from my old friend that gave it to me.

• Like 1
mcarroll
33 minutes ago, Seb8316 said:

According to other sources, ph is fine 7.8-8.4. It is stable though, so I don’t think it would be a problem.

Home reef tanks trend toward the lower part of that range – your tank's pH is anchored by alkalinity and the CO2 level in the room(or house) where the tank is.

So that leaves a question as to why your pH is breaking with the trend and sitting at the "ideal" saltwater pH of 8.1?  

As I said the number isn't "bad" but because your number is not "normal" it might be a clue that something "different" is going on with your tank, or where the tank is located, etc.

So, I'm hoping you have some idea why it's testing at 8.15 pH and not a bit closer to 7.8.  🙂 

I obviously know less about your tank than you, but my only guess (from the last pic) would be the strong aeration you have in the tank.   But then lots of folks have strong aeration and still have pH < 8.0.  Does the room the tank is in get a lot of fresh air?  Any chance you've tested pH in the morning before lights-on and at night just after lights-out to see what the tank's natural pH range is?

44 minutes ago, Seb8316 said:

The coral seems to be getting between low and medium flow.

If there's a way to up the flow, I would do so.  👍

45 minutes ago, Seb8316 said:

For my filters i have an hob rated for 5-10 gal[...]

Any media, or just using it for flow?  (I'd just it just for flow most of the time.)

empresto

8.15 ph is perfectly acceptable and not something to worry about. Also not a strange number for a home reef. Mine is always bang on 8.2 ph unless alk dips below 7dkh, which has only happened twice in 6 yrs when the dosing system encountered a fault. DON'T worry about this number.

I'd be more interested to know if you had any alk fluctuations lately. Lps don't tolerate alk fluctuations very well.

Could also be flow related? I don't see a powerhead in your tank. The HOB and air stone may not provide adequate circulation, but you'll know better what's happening with that than I can see from the pictures.

Seb8316

My alk stays at 9.3, I’ve never seen a change. I also do have a powerhead, the one on the left. It pumps 138 gph.

Seb8316

Like I said, I don’t know the type of light all i know is that its purple and grew coral. No branding.

mcarroll
54 minutes ago, Seb8316 said:

Like I said, I don’t know the type of light all i know is that its purple and grew coral. No branding.

Could be a plant light, which might grow coral, but I don't think it would be very ideal.  It's very unlikely that the coral having problems was adapted to that kind of light before your tank.

Still speculating....

Seb8316

It does have a setting for plants, but i dont use it. My friend had sps in that exact light and it did good.

fenderchamp
17 hours ago, Seb8316 said:

It does have a setting for plants, but i dont use it. My friend had sps in that exact light and it did good.

What are the dimensions of your tank? 

The picture makes it seem extremely tall and narrow, but maybe it's simply the photo.

Try to build up the rock a little bit and glue the duncan to it, you could put it very close to the surface and it will be better off for it,  glue it to the rock so it doesn't get bumped around.

I'd add more rock to that tank.  

It doesn't look like there is much algae growing yet.

Seb8316

Uh oh, my phosphates are now .5!

Dimensions are 12x12x18 inch. I know it dosen’t look like much but thats 10 pounds of live rock in there. And yeah theres diatoms on the right side of the tank.

mcarroll
5 minutes ago, Seb8316 said:
IMG_3192.thumb.jpeg.25a053bfe09b1bad097ffaf0e1b52763.jpeg

IMO he looks better here than in the first photo.   True in person?

Seb8316

Yeah because that first picture was at night. The white skeleton is more visible now, spreading to the brown head.

• Like 1
mcarroll
37 minutes ago, Seb8316 said:

IMG_3192.thumb.jpeg.25a053bfe09b1bad097ffaf0e1b52763.jpeg

Tissue appears to be receding from the "missing" head on the right.

But the head on the left doesn't look too bad in the photo at least.  

Is that correct or is there some damage not in the photo?  If the photos is showing everything, then IMO the tissue recession might just be from when the coral was fragged.  

Stronger flow might help the coral heal better/faster.  

Since your lights seem to be an enigma, some lux measurements (via free lux meter app on your smartphone) might be helpful....try measuring right at the water level in various places to see what range of readings you get.

Seb8316

The app keeps on telling me for a diffuser. I don’t have one on hand, and the one i tried to make with paper didn’t work.