SaltCritters.com

Getting back into the hobby after 5 year hitaus - recommendations for AIOs

Jphom

geekreef_05

Thats a tight space. 

Not just for lights. But to work on it too. Ultimately a good set of lights can be set to less than 100% and its possible to light a tank at close range. 

But ..

Id make sure you can reach all areas of the aquarium, when its tucked in there with the light mounted. 

Consider...

If there's only 6 inches from glass to mount point, once the lights are installed (2-3" thickness), that may only leave 3" between the fixture and top of the glass. 

For me... that would not be enough room to reasonably work on the tank.

1 hour ago, Jphom said:

New tank came in!

Nuvo Fusion 20, was able to get one after all.
Very pleased with the construction, piecing it all together now.

I have a question for you fellow reefers, I'd like to home some coral in my tank. Mostly LPS/Softies, been looking at lights for my tank and I ran into a dilemma. 

My tank will be on my kitchen counter, I have fairly high cabinets but seeing the tank in person. There's only about 5-6 inches of free space above the tank, seeing a lot of lights require some distance above. Is this going to limit my choice of lights? 

Congrats on finding the tank you wanted! Innovative Marine makes very high quality tanks and reef gear. The DC pump in your kit is awesome. I put one in my WB 20 and love it.

The limited height above the tank under your cabinets will be a challenge when you need to service the AIO chambers. Aqua Illumination Blades would be a good option for lights.

What about the evaporation under the cabinets ? Are they unfinished wood on the bottom of the cabinets ?

Added some photos, I actually have more room than I thought. 

9 inches from tank to cabinet. I can remove the filter socks under the cabinet with no issues, servicing the tank sump doesn't seem to be an issue. 

20240318_232142.jpg

20240318_232230.jpg

• Like 1
mcarroll

Lights like the Current USA Orbit series can be placed directly on the rim of the tank, so no issues with lighting:

image.thumb.png.0c9033835ae904a923aa79a87d999c06.png

17 hours ago, Jphom said:

Added some photos, I actually have more room than I thought. Tj9 inches from tank to cabinet. I can remove the filter socks under the cabinet with no issues, servicing the tank sump doesn't seem to be an issue. 

That's a big difference. You're good to go 😁

metrokat

Ultum Nature Systems took out a reef line - I have their AIO which are nanos, smallest is 7G.

Eshoppes AIO - the deskmate series. They recently took out a new reef line called the mariner I think, I don't think they are AIO but they may have one.

Maxspect also took out tanks.

Hello Reef Kit.

George 12G has a reef kit.

JBJ has AIOs.

I have the Fluval 13G, ran it for a year or so, which is a decent tank also - the light will need to be upgraded. I think an AI blade may fit in the slot - not sure tho.

Your tank looks cool.