Cultivated Reef

Light(s) for 32x12x12 tank? (2 pendants or fixture or ????)

duganderson

duganderson

What would you suggest for lights for  32x12x12 tank mixed reef?  

I'm looking for clean look, low light spillage (but open to using shades), and good quality light.

Thanks, Doug

duganderson
31 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Are you willing to hang the fixture, or does it have to be tank mounted? 

What’s your budget? 

I'm fine handing or mounting.

I'd like to try to get a good, clean looking light for as good of a value I can get but I'm open to a total cost of $100--$300 but would love to stay on the lower end of cost if possible

1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

4 bulb 24" ATI sunpower is what i would do, but i love T5

What about a 4 bulb 24" ATI with a NanoBox retro? That is what I would do lol

But I also have a 24" refurbished with new arrays quad but that is $450 shipped. Outside OPs budget but an awesome light.

TheKleinReef
16 minutes ago, braaap said:

What about a 4 bulb 24" ATI with a NanoBox retro? That is what I would do lol

But I also have a 24" refurbished with new arrays quad but that is $450 shipped. Outside OPs budget but an awesome light.

I've never been sold on LED T5 hybrid. The LED adds nothing but shimmer, which for some people don't really matter. As a photographer I'd rather have no shimmer lol . T5 can do the same job for cheaper. (ignoring ongoing bulb costs).

51 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I've never been sold on LED T5 hybrid. The LED adds nothing but shimmer, which for some people don't really matter. As a photographer I'd rather have no shimmer lol . T5 can do the same job for cheaper. (ignoring ongoing bulb costs).

Oh that isn't true at all. They add massive PAR and can be fine tuned for spectral benefits. You can't add specific spectrum from a T5 but you can with LEDs.

TheKleinReef
2 hours ago, braaap said:

Oh that isn't true at all. They add massive PAR and can be fine tuned for spectral benefits. You can't add specific spectrum from a T5 but you can with LEDs.

PAR isn't a huge deal with T5, with good reflectors they are PAR monsters, sure LEDs help with deeper tanks, but saying they have low PAR is not the case. T5 is also way better at distributing the PAR around, you need a very specific shape of LED fixture or more of them to do the same job which is more expensive. Tweaking certain spectrum colors is definitely more of a want than a need.

There was a massive thread about T5 vs hybrid on R2R. I honestly think it's a money grab purely for aesthetic purposes, if that's your thing fine, but I don't like how BRS is selling it as the future of reef lighting

2 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

PAR isn't a huge deal with T5, with good reflectors they are PAR monsters, sure LEDs help with deeper tanks, but saying they have low PAR is not the case. T5 is also way better at distributing the PAR around, you need a very specific shape of LED fixture or more of them to do the same job which is more expensive. Tweaking certain spectrum colors is definitely more of a want than a need.

There was a massive thread about T5 vs hybrid on R2R. I honestly think it's a money grab purely for aesthetic purposes, if that's your thing fine, but I don't like how BRS is selling it as the future of reef lighting

Just because BRS is pushing a narrative doesn't make it correct. The science makes it correct. The science of LEDs and spectral tuning can't really be disputed. Is T5 a PAR monster? Absolutely. And it is cheap. But LEDs can be a PAR monster with customization which lots of people want. LEDs are also coming a long ways. An AI Prime is outlasting any T5 out there and it cost around $200.

Personally I like having both. If you were to just get T5s and LEDs and both are all on or all off T5 can't be beat. But if you want to fine tune the best solution is T5 supplemented with LED.

TheKleinReef
24 minutes ago, braaap said:

Just because BRS is pushing a narrative doesn't make it correct

that's what i'm saying.

I think they're pushing the wrong narrative.

24 minutes ago, braaap said:

which lots of people want.

this is my point.

you don't need it. you want it.

if enough products are being pushed as the best and the future while going up $100 every year it's just feeding this cycle. i'm not a fan of how LEDs are evolving right now in general. Not disputing they're effective, but they're not the best as of rn.

15 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

that's what i'm saying.

I think they're pushing the wrong narrative.

this is my point.

you don't need it. you want it.

if enough products are being pushed as the best and the future while going up $100 every year it's just feeding this cycle. i'm not a fan of how LEDs are evolving right now in general. Not disputing they're effective, but they're not the best as of rn.

Need and want. Your corals need spectrum. You want them to have the best possible. Finely tuned T5/LED fixtures are the absolute best lighting solution out there. There are lots of studies that the ideal growing spectrum is in the blue wavelength. Everyone used to preach white. Hence why all these first fixtures had an even mix of both. Now it is widely known that white does help coral growth but it actually does more algae growing than anything. 

Personally I love T5s and never want a tank without them. But I truly believe the best lighting solution would be a T5/LED combo.

TheKleinReef
17 minutes ago, braaap said:

Need and want. Your corals need spectrum. You want them to have the best possible.

LEDs have just been trying to copy the full spectrums of halide/T5/natural sunlight. they're catching up. but a full spectrum T5 and full spectrum led, is a diff issue.

at that point, price, shape, coverage, light spill all come into play. and when those come into play I think T5 still wins.

and this is all coming from someone who is using 100% LED rn

17 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

LEDs have just been trying to copy the full spectrums of halide/T5/natural sunlight. they're catching up. but a full spectrum T5 and full spectrum led, is a diff issue.

at that point, price, shape, coverage, light spill all come into play. and when those come into play I think T5 still wins.

and this is all coming from someone who is using 100% LED rn

I know they are. But they are doing it at a quieter, cooler, supposed to be cheaper way. Quieter and cooler is usually achieved. Cheaper not so much.

I'm honestly surprised you don't have T5s. I've got a 24" 8 bulb in a box. Too big for my current tank. But its perfect for the IM50 I have in a crate waiting to be setup. If I could get my hands on a cheap 4 bulb ATI I would put it over this tank I have now.