Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishy's first reef tank - IM 25 Lagoon

Fishy Guy

57 minutes ago, Fishy Guy said:

The cycle is moving along. I tested last night and still had 2ppm ammonia and 0 nitrites; tested again a little while ago and ammonia was down to 0.25 and nitrites at 0.5.

Trying to decide which fish I'm going to add first. Clowns would probably be easiest but I'm concerned they could potentially be more aggressive if added first... The only other fish on my definite list that I know my LFS has is a Tailspot Blenny.

Oh the choices……

Hi Welcome to NR. I just read your thread and love just about everything in it. 

On 12/12/2023 at 8:57 PM, Fishy Guy said:

a buddy of mine recently offered me a tank and some of his spare equipment at a great price which was the final push I needed.

Thanks buddy. How fun that you can share with your daughter's. Great job on making the stand, your equipment choices, how organized everything is and final love the scape. Wishing you years of enjoyment.

On 12/12/2023 at 8:57 PM, Fishy Guy said:

Pair of Percula Clowns (local breeder, these are the only non-negotiable on the list as the whole family is excited about them)

In case you haven't heard this yet. It is best to have one larger and one smaller clown. This helps right away for them to be able to pair up with the least amount of aggression about who is the boss(female). 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Hi Welcome to NR. I just read your thread and love just about everything in it. 

Thanks buddy. How fun that you can share with your daughter's. Great job on making the stand, your equipment choices, how organized everything is and final love the scape. Wishing you years of enjoyment.

In case you haven't heard this yet. It is best to have one larger and one smaller clown. This helps right away for them to be able to pair up with the least amount of aggression about who is the boss(female). 

Thank you! It's been a fun project so far and we're really excited about getting some life into the tank.

The local breeder I plan to get the clowns from recommended the same with the size difference. The clown pair is probably what I'll get first.

• Like 2

Still waiting on the cycle. Why is being patient so hard?! Ha

Tested more parameters for the first time today out of curiosity. 

SG - 1.026

Ammonia - 0.5 (API)

Nitrites - 5+ (API)

Nitrates - 15.5 (Hanna)

Phosphate - 0.02 (Hanna)

pH - 8.0 (API)

dKH - 8.3 (Salifert)

On 12/23/2023 at 7:34 PM, Fishy Guy said:

Got my RODI system plumbed under our half bath sink. Unit is rated at 100gpd but took right at 2 hours to make a bit more than 5g. 

IMG_6199.thumb.jpeg.7f85469f77ffa9ca2d94b005c128e758.jpeg

IMG_6200.thumb.jpeg.5a3f87bb51da83350e71b63d03e02200.jpeg

Can you come organize all my s**t plz.  Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

So a thing finally happened...

IMG_6268.thumb.jpeg.f85c11ef70e524606f71ced40a8f9a7e.jpeg

IMG_6264.thumb.jpeg.6af9f0fef285ad2474ce9e6cb777e240.jpeg

I still have a very slight amount of nitrites but dosed ammonia up to 1ppm again yesterday and tank processed it overnight. Reading confirmed with both API test kit and Seachem alert badge. 

I did a 25% water change and picked up our first inhabitants - a pair of perculas. Names are still being debated ha. 

It's so exciting to finally have some life in the tank!

For the cycle I've kept the light off. Should I go ahead and run them at a low level now? I was thinking run them at like 25% of BRS recommended settings to start. Doesn't really matter to me just want to avoid an algae explosion. I know some uglies are inevitable and really won't mind as I'll be able to start adding some CUC. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Fishy Guy said:

So a thing finally happened...

IMG_6268.thumb.jpeg.f85c11ef70e524606f71ced40a8f9a7e.jpeg

IMG_6264.thumb.jpeg.6af9f0fef285ad2474ce9e6cb777e240.jpeg

I still have a very slight amount of nitrites but dosed ammonia up to 1ppm again yesterday and tank processed it overnight. Reading confirmed with both API test kit and Seachem alert badge. 

I did a 25% water change and picked up our first inhabitants - a pair of perculas. Names are still being debated ha. 

It's so exciting to finally have some life in the tank!

For the cycle I've kept the light off. Should I go ahead and run them at a low level now? I was thinking run them at like 25% of BRS recommended settings to start. Doesn't really matter to me just want to avoid an algae explosion. I know some uglies are inevitable and really won't mind as I'll be able to start adding some CUC. 

They are beauties 

• Like 1

What pretty little clownfish! You can certainly run lights. No need to go crazy with the power since you don’t have corals yet. The uglies will come, but with a lower light level it won’t be so bad. Then you can grow some algae and get some snails! 

• Like 1

Lights on! Diatoms here we come. 

IMG_6273.thumb.jpeg.8403818fb5800506dee1eb34c683fe2a.jpeg

Clowns seem to be favoring that front corner. We fed frozen mysis last night mostly in that corner so not sure if they're just looking for food. 

Tested all of my parameters again this morning. 

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0.25-0.5

Nitrate - 8.7

SG - 1.026

Phosphate - 0.7

Alk - 8.3

Ca - 350

pH - 8.0

I don't think it's a problem at this point but any thoughts on lower Ca levels? I'm using the normal IO salt. 

• Like 1

I am using the Red Sea blue bucket salt.  I consistently hit 400dkh.  I have been very pleased with this salt.  

one thing of note keep an eye on those nitrates while feeding frozen.  I see your phosphate is slightly high as well but not crazy.  

I have been struggling with low to zero phosphate and nitrates creeping.  I watched a BRS video on the relationship between nitrate and phosphates and one point is related to food.  I learned that frozen can spike nitrate while dry can spike phosphates.  So I slowed down my frozen and increased my pellet and all is right in the world again.  

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, boscoT said:

I am using the Red Sea blue bucket salt.  I consistently hit 400dkh.  I have been very pleased with this salt.  

one thing of note keep an eye on those nitrates while feeding frozen.  I see your phosphate is slightly high as well but not crazy.  

I have been struggling with low to zero phosphate and nitrates creeping.  I watched a BRS video on the relationship between nitrate and phosphates and one point is related to food.  I learned that frozen can spike nitrate while dry can spike phosphates.  So I slowed down my frozen and increased my pellet and all is right in the world again.  

400 dKH would be something! I knew what you meant ha. 

I'm thinking maybe my salt needs to be mixed up some in the bucket as IO should be about 400 Ca at 35ppt. Not an issue with no corals just something I'll keep an eye on. 

I'm very curious to see what my nitrates and phosphates do now. I've got frozen and pellets and was planning on alternating between them every other day. I know the next few months is going to be a lot of learning. 

I'm trying to avoid adding a skimmer and ideally want to limit using anything like GFO. 

I did add a skimmer.  Nano skimmers tend to skim a bit wet but since improving my bioload (adding more fish) and changing up my feeding patterns my skimmer is pulling some good skim.  

I do 4 days pellet and 3 max with frozen currently.  This has been helping.  

I am using chemipure blue now that my phosphates are more stable.  If things change I have no problem removing when needed.  

I tested weekly and then every two weeks.  My goal is to test less and trust in the foundation that I am setting.  Time will tell

22 minutes ago, boscoT said:

I did add a skimmer.  Nano skimmers tend to skim a bit wet but since improving my bioload (adding more fish) and changing up my feeding patterns my skimmer is pulling some good skim.  

I do 4 days pellet and 3 max with frozen currently.  This has been helping.  

I am using chemipure blue now that my phosphates are more stable.  If things change I have no problem removing when needed.  

I tested weekly and then every two weeks.  My goal is to test less and trust in the foundation that I am setting.  Time will tell

You used dry rock to start on your tank correct? 

That's also a reason I don't really know what to expect. I've read so many places that dry rock absorbs a lot of nutrients for a while so was actually surprised that my phosphates were up to .07 from .02 after a water change. 

18 minutes ago, Fishy Guy said:

You used dry rock to start on your tank correct? 

That's also a reason I don't really know what to expect. I've read so many places that dry rock absorbs a lot of nutrients for a while so was actually surprised that my phosphates were up to .07 from .02 after a water change. 

Yea this was my first setup with dry rock.  I have struggled with diatoms and some surface algae but nothing more.  

I did read about nutrient absorption as well.  That’s why I have avoided any dosing as of yet.  Coraline is starting to populate finally after seeding with some coraline I got from my LFS.  

the ugly stage awaits you!!!

• Like 1
JavaJacketOC

I have the same tank and have been running into challenges with my ATO. Do you notice random fluxuation in the water level of the return pump chamber? I'm running the pump on the slowest setting and still get 1-2" fluxuation in the back chamber every few minutes, Unsure if this is the pump going bad, a flow restruction or what. I'm running 2 IM caddies, 1 with GFO and Chemi, the other is converted into a fuge. one of the 2nd chambers has a skimmer and the other just holds the heater. 

I'm kind of at a loss for what's causing it so asking others with the same tank/pump. I appreciate any insight. 

4 hours ago, JavaJacketOC said:

I have the same tank and have been running into challenges with my ATO. Do you notice random fluxuation in the water level of the return pump chamber? I'm running the pump on the slowest setting and still get 1-2" fluxuation in the back chamber every few minutes, Unsure if this is the pump going bad, a flow restruction or what. I'm running 2 IM caddies, 1 with GFO and Chemi, the other is converted into a fuge. one of the 2nd chambers has a skimmer and the other just holds the heater. 

I'm kind of at a loss for what's causing it so asking others with the same tank/pump. I appreciate any insight. 

What return pump are you running?  I have a 24gal and found the Sicce inconsistent.  I have upgraded to an AI axis 40and run it at 75%.  I have zero overflow issue anymore.  Well I have a snail that loves to block the intake every night still causing havoc with my ATO

Fishy Guy
9 hours ago, JavaJacketOC said:

That’s odd even with the pump at the lowest setting. I’ve not had that issue even running the pump at full speed.

I’ve got the stock media caddy on one side with filter floss and some ceramic media, and a UV in the other. I don’t have anything in the second chambers. 

Where is your water line on the intakes? That’s the only thing that immediately comes to mind other than a potential pump issue. 

• Like 1