Cultivated Reef

Fishy's first reef tank - IM 25 Lagoon

Fishy Guy

I'm a long-time freshwater planted guy that is finally making the dive into reef tanks. I've been on the fence about starting for a long time and a buddy of mine recently offered me a tank and some of his spare equipment at a great price which was the final push I needed.

I plan to use this thread to document not only my build, but my journey of learning this side of the hobby, and as a new guy I'm hoping to get lots of advice and suggestions (so please fire away!). I'm also excited to share this experience with my two daughters who are 3 and 5.

Here is what I have so far; items marked with an * are what I'm getting from my buddy, the rest I've purchased separately:

Equipment:
Tank - IM 25g Lagoon AIO*
Filtration - IM CustomCaddy* (haven't decided on media yet) and Auqu Shield UV
Pump - stock Mighty Jet* with 2x Auqa Spin Stream nozzles
Powerhead - Current USA eFlux Wave Pump (660 GPH, already owned this from a previous freshwater build)
Light - AI Prime 16HD*
Heater - Hygger titanium w/ controller*
ATO - Duetto Dual-Sensor*
Controller - Kasa Smart Plug power strip (if that counts ha)
Stand - building my own, will be a knockoff of an ADA stand out of 3/4" maple ply (Aqua Design Amano for those not familiar with freshwater aquascaping)

Aquascape:
Rock - Marco Rock (30lbs)
Sand - Caribsea Special Grade Arag-Alive (20lb)

Testing:
API Saltwater Master Kit (Ammonia, Nitrite, pH)
Salifert kH/Alk
Hanna Nitrate HR
Hanna Phosphate ULR
SunGrow Refractometer

Misc:
RO/DI - Aquatic Life 4-Stage (100 GPD)*
Salt - Instant Ocean Sea Salt
Water storage - 3 x 5g Hedpak
I already have tons of algae scrubbers, siphons, nets, buckets, etc from my freshwater tanks unless I absolutely can't mix between fresh and reef tanks.

I'm in for $876 so far including materials for stand (minus paint); not cheap but relatively speaking I think I've lucked out big time!

Beyond this I need a ton of help ha! I want to keep things simple to start and don't have any specific theme. I just want to have a healthy and (hopefully) peaceful community ecosystem.

For livestock I'm open to all suggestions, I've just listed out those that have caught my eye so far that seem like they would be mostly compatible. I know I won't be able to add them all in a 25g but would like to have as much variation as possible.

Livestock:
Pair of Percula Clowns (local breeder, these are the only non-negotiable on the list as the whole family is excited about them)
Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp
Tailspot Blenny
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Court Jester Goby
Yellowtail Damsel

CUC: 
Cleaner Shrimp (not 100% non-negotiable but I really want one ha)
Snails (unsure of specific varieties and numbers, need advice)
Hermits (unsure of specific varieties and numbers, need advice)

I'm really excited about corals but have yet to really go down the rabbit hole yet. To start I want to stick with hardy varieties of softies and LPS.

Corals:
Zoa garden (looking at corals for the first time not knowing anything about them I was immediately drawn to the zoas)
Beyond that I have no idea, I want a variety of colors and textures. Suggestions please!

Next step: Get my stand built and in place.

• Like 2

Welcome to NR! You're off to a good start with the equipment! BTW, don't keep track of how much you spend in this hobby. 😄 

I vote for the pink streak wrasse! very mellow and just explores the tank. 

Also, I have 2 daughters too. My 7 yr old already wants to be a marine biologist, so it's a great age to get them interested in aquariums!

• Like 1

We have some progress!

Planned out my stand to use a single sheet of plywood. 

IMG_6050.thumb.jpeg.4fead993358aa58d212654c0e34ebc15.jpeg

I’m jealous of those that have a full shop but I make do. 

IMG_6085.thumb.jpeg.1c69f524f351b049d05e6763954cc469.jpeg

IMG_6087.thumb.jpeg.c66ed2941294985a57cd10a8c8bec9a1.jpeg

IMG_6091.thumb.jpeg.e292659ad203f5a52c6e8309d9983e6c.jpeg

A few coats of paint and got the stand and tank in place. 

IMG_6133.thumb.jpeg.691d2f5662eee03ee91f7a7d7232a41e.jpeg

Really happy with how well the tank fits in this corner of our dining room next to the kitchen. 

I picked up some Turbostart 900 and 25g of salt water from my LFS today. Now just need to figure out my rock scape and can get to cycling. 

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

looking great! i have a couple of thoughts:

-i’d hold off on using the UV unless you have something specific you’re trying to fix like a bacterial bloom, free swimming dinos, or certain fish diseases, as a UV will kill beneficial bacteria as well as pathogens.

-a couple of great and long-lived snails are banded trochus and money cowries. i’d wait to add snails until you start to see diatoms.

6 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

looking great! i have a couple of thoughts:

-i’d hold off on using the UV unless you have something specific you’re trying to fix like a bacterial bloom, free swimming dinos, or certain fish diseases, as a UV will kill beneficial bacteria as well as pathogens.

-a couple of great and long-lived snails are banded trochus and money cowries. i’d wait to add snails until you start to see diatoms.

Thanks!

I’m definitely not planning to run the UV to start. I just wanted it ready to go just in case. It’s probably silly but being new to the saltwater side I’m nervous about all of the ways things can go wrong ha. 

Thanks for the snail recs! Will plan to add a few once diatoms start to show up. I’m almost as excited about adding CUC as I am fish or corals. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Looks like a great start, following along.

word of caution, the pair of clowns may take over the tank and get ornery on you, should they decide to pair up and nest. ( but every fish is different.)

I've heard that and am slightly worried about it but they're such quintessential reef tank fish that I'm not sure I can not get them. Also, not sure my daughters would let me not get them ha. 

Is there anything to do to help with this? Add them last? Get just a single? Ocellaris vs Percula? 

13 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

I love that stand.   Looks way better than the APS models that IM sells.  I personally am not a fan of mine...

Thanks so much. I'm happy with how it turned out.

I really liked the look of the APS stands but have never seen one in person. What do you not like about yours?

Just now, Fishy Guy said:

Thanks so much. I'm happy with how it turned out.

I really liked the look of the APS stands but have never seen one in person. What do you not like about yours?

I think its more of a dimension deal.  I have the 14 Peninsula and the stand that comes with the tank and there is just no room..I'd probably be happier with the ones that come with the 20 or your tank tbh.   I should have prefaced my comment with that notion.  I'm also a sucker for the wood look.  I don't particularly like the acrylic panels on the sides of the APS stands either.  Setup was easy enough and they really are light..just not for me I guess.  I would have liked to drill into some of the supports to hang power strips and what not but I'm staying away from putting holes in the aluminum.    

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ml86743 said:

I think its more of a dimension deal.  I have the 14 Peninsula and the stand that comes with the tank and there is just no room..I'd probably be happier with the ones that come with the 20 or your tank tbh.   I should have prefaced my comment with that notion.  I'm also a sucker for the wood look.  I don't particularly like the acrylic panels on the sides of the APS stands either.  Setup was easy enough and they really are light..just not for me I guess.  I would have liked to drill into some of the supports to hang power strips and what not but I'm staying away from putting holes in the aluminum.    

Makes sense. I also just realized I've been reading through your journal for the 14 - really good info and the pics are fantastic!

1 minute ago, Fishy Guy said:

Makes sense. I also just realized I've been reading through your journal for the 14 - really good info and the pics are fantastic!

Thanks!  I've been eyeing that 25 for awhile..I'm running out of room...

• Like 1

I'm playing around with my scape today and have a general idea of what I want but don't really know what to expect for flow and coral needs.

I want lots of caves/arches/overhangs for fish and get as much sense of depth as possible. Main viewing angles will be from the front and left sides so want to have the largest part of the structure in the back right corner. Tank will be viewable from the right side as well.

Any thoughts on this setup or how to improve it? The cardboard under it is just slightly smaller than the display dimensions of the tank. 

IMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.b80ba21feb8f0a505eaabbe2aa036a6f.jpeg

IMG_6142.thumb.jpeg.5cf9349b85c22cd23ef4c8e94963dafb.jpeg

IMG_6143.thumb.jpeg.cdcac5efc745f10a3edf43a98dcd6bf2.jpeg

IMG_6144.thumb.jpeg.c06160968a513e3ad7b9d8226413609d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Fishy Guy said:

I've heard that and am slightly worried about it but they're such quintessential reef tank fish that I'm not sure I can not get them. Also, not sure my daughters would let me not get them ha. 

Is there anything to do to help with this? Add them last? Get just a single? Ocellaris vs Percula? 

I have always had just one clown fish ever since. No issues. 
my display is 33gal.
again all fish have there own personalities, and some hear may have a pair in a smaller tank with no issues, but the risk is there.

7 minutes ago, Fishy Guy said:

I'm playing around with my scape today and have a general idea of what I want but don't really know what to expect for flow and coral needs.

I want lots of caves/arches/overhangs for fish and get as much sense of depth as possible. Main viewing angles will be from the front and left sides so want to have the largest part of the structure in the back right corner. Tank will be viewable from the right side as well.

Any thoughts on this setup or how to improve it? The cardboard under it is just slightly smaller than the display dimensions of the tank. 

IMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.b80ba21feb8f0a505eaabbe2aa036a6f.jpeg

IMG_6142.thumb.jpeg.5cf9349b85c22cd23ef4c8e94963dafb.jpeg

IMG_6143.thumb.jpeg.cdcac5efc745f10a3edf43a98dcd6bf2.jpeg

IMG_6144.thumb.jpeg.c06160968a513e3ad7b9d8226413609d.jpeg

Rockscape looking good.

if you are looking at doing coral, consider growth between exterior of rock work and the glass, Incase you need to get a glass cleaner in between the coral and the glass.

possibility of leaving that cove open floor instead of an island, for a few brain coral frags or a smaller clam.

looking really cool, I like it.

I got all of my equipment mounted in the stand last night and wires mostly organized and out of the way. 

My rockscape is epoxied/glued together and in the tank. I let a few touch up areas finish curing overnight. 

I will add sand and water today, fire her up, and get this cycle going!

IMG_6177.thumb.jpeg.5482e092fdc164786fdb252a3d787af3.jpeg

IMG_6184.thumb.jpeg.9c4771f4c9505063b55fe49dd8d52b59.jpeg

IMG_6182.thumb.jpeg.8e047994055c6145e0580c8c90a49355.jpeg

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

I'm envious of your organization..   I like this rendition of the scape too!

Thanks. It's funny because I started just throwing stuff in there thinking I would organize it later. It got really messy, really fast and I decided to be honest with myself that if I didn't organize it now I wasn't going to.

36 minutes ago, Fishy Guy said:

Thanks. It's funny because I started just throwing stuff in there thinking I would organize it later. It got really messy, really fast and I decided to be honest with myself that if I didn't organize it now I wasn't going to.

Exactly.  I built this little wooden "controller board" I had on the outside of the tank..no matter how well I ran, zip tied, or taped cables it always looked like garbage just sitting next to the tank.  So last weekend I just stuffed it all in the cabinet...

• Like 1
On 12/20/2023 at 5:08 PM, Staticmoves said:

Looking good. I see you left a bit more of an open cove in the middle.

very nice.

Appreciate it! Yes, leaving the middle open was a much better option, thanks for the recommendation.

On 12/20/2023 at 5:36 PM, Justind823 said:

Love that scape! 

Thanks. I always find that part of the hobby so much fun.

• Like 2

The cycle is moving along. I tested last night and still had 2ppm ammonia and 0 nitrites; tested again a little while ago and ammonia was down to 0.25 and nitrites at 0.5.

Trying to decide which fish I'm going to add first. Clowns would probably be easiest but I'm concerned they could potentially be more aggressive if added first... The only other fish on my definite list that I know my LFS has is a Tailspot Blenny.