Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Box Remix Arrays V1!

braaap

So as some of you may have seen I am in the process of making new plug and play versions of the Nano Box arrays. These are totally updated arrays that bolt directly in place of your current arrays. They have a PicoLock connector for ease of swapping. They are 5 channel arrays. They have Mint, 3 different whites, royal blue, blue/cyan and violet. 

I just finished getting the first pair mounted to a duo heatsink. The duo case is out at powder coating and should be done soon. 

Is there any interest in these updated arrays? They will require some soldering. But quite minimal as I am working on having a harness built or I will manually build each one. You would either need to solder 10 total wires or use wire nuts/wagos. 

Price is unknown at this time. Somewhere around $50 per array. These aren’t cheap to produce. But boy do they look sweet!

F1F87603-358F-42CA-A1ED-830E79D43D64.jpeg

C268B2DF-C691-4323-AF16-582517626169.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • braaap changed the title to Nano Box Remix Arrays V1!

This turns out super sweet!!  I see you have the option of using either the picolock or solder pads - which is cool.  I've got a bunch of questions!

are you working on any controller that will move away from bluefish? 

also related to controller, what's the driver situation like with this? 

are the pico lock terminals/connections in the same order as the named pads?  (for the purpose of tying the harness to existing wires)

what are your 3 colors of white?  

what's the giant led at #9 position?

@Reefkid88  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

This turns out super sweet!!  I see you have the option of using either the picolock or solder pads - which is cool.  I've got a bunch of questions!

are you working on any controller that will move away from bluefish? 

also related to controller, what's the driver situation like with this? 

are the pico lock terminals/connections in the same order as the named pads?  (for the purpose of tying the harness to existing wires)

what are your 3 colors of white?  

what's the giant led at #9 position?

@Reefkid88  

Right now I'm using bluefish. But we have talked about a custom controller and have some ideas.

Drivers I am currently using are Dave's old board with the 6 channels including fan control. But the controller we have discussed would likely have them all incorporated on the same board.

Yes the connector is the same order as the named pads. We will likely make a slight board change so you can see the names better. The connector covers some of the names. Or maybe I'll just do a print out of the pad image.

White are 2 5700k 90CRI and 1 3k 90CRI. Sorry only 2 different whites.

Big guy LED is a SETi 385nm UV. It is on the violet channel.

Also. Bluefish works without a subscription. You just have to scroll down and bypass the subscription message. That is annoying but it is still free. I assume once you pay it removes that message. I'll be paying the $20 a year if I stick with bluefish. It is cheap and if I can help keep it going I will. Hosting isn't cheap.

• Thanks 1

This is awesome! I'm not in need of one right now but I know I should probably replace the ones in my duos in the next few years. Glad you took the time to create these and keep the NB fixtures going. 

The fixture looks great with the fresh powder coat. You're really doing for it by installing glass splash guards 😄

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

This is awesome! I'm not in need of one right now but I know I should probably replace the ones in my duos in the next few years. Glad you took the time to create these and keep the NB fixtures going. 

The fixture looks great with the fresh powder coat. You're really doing for it by installing glass splash guards 😄

Ya. LEDs don’t last forever. 4 or so years last I knew and then they lose their useable light. 

Im dropping the plastic splash guards off tomorrow to have copied. 

If I really did this and started reproducing full fixtures I would make the splash guard cutout square. That way glass splash guards would be cheap and easy to make. 

But that isn’t likely I’ll ever go that far. 

• Like 1

From what I understand, royal blue (445nm) is not as necessary for corals, at least not as much as 405, 420, and 460. Any consideration to get away from the royal blue if your making your own clusters?

• Wow 1
8 minutes ago, Sprinter70 said:

From what I understand, royal blue (445nm) is not as necessary for corals, at least not as much as 405, 420, and 460. Any consideration to get away from the royal blue if your making your own clusters?

No because people LOVE royal blue. We have 420nm in the violet LED and the large UV is 385. Everything I have read is 360-440nm is the ideal range for blues. We cover that with the Violet and the UV LEDs we are using. On my setup they are also driven with the highest driver.

Check this out. Pretty simplified but it agrees with almost everything I have read and it is why we went the direction we did. https://reefstable.com/blog/reef-tank-lighting-spectrum

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Have you tested the splash shield under the 385's long term ? 

My Semi 385's burnt my splash shield up pretty good after about 1-2 months lol. 

No. Because I'm getting glass shields made. Shouldn't be an issue with glass. 

1 minute ago, braaap said:

No. Because I'm getting glass shields made. Shouldn't be an issue.

Deefinitely skipped right over that part lol. This boards look amazing though,you killed it. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Deefinitely skipped right over that part lol. This boards look amazing though,you killed it. 

I didn't design them. I had the idea. Got the measurements. Helped with the LED choice and connector choice. BlueAcro did the PCB work in like 12 minutes lol

He is kind of overwhelmed with other projects though. So I'll likely take over the flowing of LEDs to the boards etc. He MIGHT work on a custom driver/controller stack. But that is up in the air.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Definitely interested! My Duo Plus will be hitting five years come August so will need to replace the LEDs soon. Violet channel stopped working a while ago, visually inspected everything and don't see any issues, pretty sure the driver went out. Funny thing, saw your comment come up on a YouTube video, someone repairing their Duo.

Already subscribed to bluefish and like their app so have no issues going with their controller. Option for a new board would be nice. If not, I'm sure I can easily replace/swap the drivers as needed for the new arrays. Not an electrical wiz but I can get by with a multimeter and soldering iron with a set of instructions. 

Only concern would be with the plastic splash shield and the 385s. My Duo has the single splash shield and the body isn't recessed/cutout for it. The shield actually bulges out a bit because of the wiring for the LEDs. I'm sure I can easily get a glass shield made for it and not worry about the bulging as the wiring looks much cleaner with these new arrays.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, haks said:

Definitely interested! My Duo Plus will be hitting five years come August so will need to replace the LEDs soon. Violet channel stopped working a while ago, visually inspected everything and don't see any issues, pretty sure the driver went out. Funny thing, saw your comment come up on a YouTube video, someone repairing their Duo.

Already subscribed to bluefish and like their app so have no issues going with their controller. Option for a new board would be nice. If not, I'm sure I can easily replace/swap the drivers as needed for the new arrays. Not an electrical wiz but I can get by with a multimeter and soldering iron with a set of instructions. 

Only concern would be with the plastic splash shield and the 385s. My Duo has the single splash shield and the body isn't recessed/cutout for it. The shield actually bulges out a bit because of the wiring for the LEDs. I'm sure I can easily get a glass shield made for it and not worry about the bulging as the wiring looks much cleaner with these new arrays.

Send me a message and we can discuss. All of your concerns should be easily addressed. 

On 11/9/2023 at 7:19 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Have you tested the splash shield under the 385's long term ? 

My Semi 385's burnt my splash shield up pretty good after about 1-2 months lol. 

Almost 3 months of steady use at 100% on the violet channel and the plastic guard doesn't even get warm.

I had glass made but they cracked as soon as I tightened the screw. Looking for someone to make them out of better glass. They lady that did it was clueless.

Reefkid88

Damn,thats pretty good. Can't complain there then bud. 

Oh shit really ? That doesnt surprise me on bit though. 

• 2 months later...
Lingwendil
On 11/9/2023 at 6:10 PM, Sprinter70 said:

Where do you see that 460 is more necessary?

Sprinter70