Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

12 years later....

boscoT

Hello everyone, 

Looking at getting back into the hobby after a 12 year break.  Things have changed so much that it feels like I know nothing anymore.  I have been an aquarium enthusiast for over 30 years.  I worked at my LFS and was hooked on cichlids until I dipped my toes in the reef world.  I have had about every size reef tank up to 250gal at one point.  I joined this forum back in 2010 when I set up 2 biocube tanks for my kids rooms.  They took a liking to rep hockey and soccer and life was never the same lol.  They are finally old enough to care for themselves and my wife said that she missed having a tank in the house.  

I have decided that I do NOT want a large tank anymore and I am sold on nano reef setup.  I have looked at all of the "all-in-one" companies and like them all... My issue is dimensions.  I am going to put the unit on my nightstand beside the bed.  and I am limited to a 15" depth.  I was watching YouTube videos the other day and stumbled across a channel that makes and sells nano tanks here in Ontario Canada.  I have read a few threads here with respect to Reef Casa and when I went to their site I found one model that will be a perfect fit.  

I would love to hear any comments with respect to Reef Casa.  I am looking at the studio cube 15.  

I have a list of my wants for my setup 

Setup

Studio Cube 15

Halo with Shroud

Refugium Light

Sicce 1.0 Return Pump Upgrade

Colbalt Neo-Therm 50w Cermaic

XP Aqua Duetto ATO

Mesh Lid

Dual random flow generator

Filtration Media Holder

Filtration Cover

Flipper Nano cleaner

Coralife Hydrometer (I will upgrade for sure - focused on the tank on this first purchase)

Caribsea life rock 10lbs

Marine Pure Bio Filter

Chemi Pure Elite

Reef Casa Bacteria

Reef Casa Amonia Chloride

Sand for base

Salt

I plan on running a refugium  in the middle chamber, and filter floss, chemi pure elite and Marine pure bio media in the first chamber.  

Now for my questions if you are all kind enough to lend me your knowledge.

What is a good salt mix these days?

Is there anything in my setup you would add or take away?

Livestock... I am leaning towards a pair of snowflake clowns or perhaps a pink streak wrasse and yellow clown goby.  Thoughts on how many fish or other options?

I am done with hitchhikers and pretty sold on caribsea liferock, looking for experiences both good and bad

Anyone with experience with Reef Casa tanks or reviews both pro and con?

Is there a big difference between the XP duetto ATO and version 2.0?

Anyways, I hope to get a setup thread going in the next few weeks once I settle on everything.  I have so much to catch up on and learn over the next few weeks.  

Thanks for your time 

Ryan

• Like 1
6 hours ago, boscoT said:

Looking at getting back into the hobby after a 12 year break.

So you got out roughly in 2011?  Seems like not THAT much has changed since then in terms of keeping a successful reef tank...some things have gone a little backwards.

Did you have dead rock or live rock in the last setup?  

Did you read any books or magazines for information back then?

What style of reef setup did you have back then?

What's the biggest difference you've noticed so far in reef keeping "nowadays" vs 2011?

6 hours ago, boscoT said:

I plan on running a refugium  in the middle chamber, and filter floss, chemi pure elite and Marine pure bio media in the first chamber.

I wouldn't add any of that into the tank when it's first set up.   Most of that list is filtration for a fish-only style of tank.  The refugium is a zone to grow pods or other critters hat the fish and corals in the display would otherwise eat....but most folks seem to use it mostly for "nutrient export" whether the tank needs it or not...which is to say that they hurt as often as they help.  If you feel like you're in the "nutrient export" crowd, wait until you're sure the tank needs it – don't add it at the beginning.  Stick with the basic/essential reef setup at the beginning.  If you still go with a refugium for non-nutrient export reasons, then just don't add a light....make it a basic refugium in the classic sense.

7 hours ago, boscoT said:

I am done with hitchhikers and pretty sold on caribsea liferock, looking for experiences both good and bad

Using dead rock is more like starting up a freshwater tank with an under gravel filter or canister filter...and other than denitrification has none of the benefits of live rock.  So it's sort of old-fashioned in a low-function sort of way.  (Kind of ignoring most of the revolutionary aspects of reefing from the last 40-50 years and running things like a 1970's fish tank.)

Denitrification is the only benefit of dead rock vs an undergavel filter, for example.  Unfortunately, denitrification doesn't have nearly as much value in a reef as it would have in a typical fish-only system.  Fish bio-loads are necessarily lower in reef tanks, PLUS denitrification tends to compete with corals for dissolved nutrients...which makes it a not so good reef setup husbandry-wise.  

Worse, dead rock is still missing almost 100% of the reef microbes, et al, than make live rock beneficial...even after dead rock is an "active bio-filter".

In addition, (harmful) hitchhikers aren't guaranteed to be found on live rock.  In fact, harmful hitchhikers are pretty rare.  

But the un-reef-like nature of dead rock IS guaranteed.   100%.

Folks using dead rock tend to have more problems with pest outbreaks of all kinds....and more of their algae outbreaks seem to be HARMFUL algae like dinoflagellates.  

(Run a quick survey on the comments in that massive thread I linked, which was started a few years after you got out and is STILL very active today, and see how many folks with live rock have posted there.  Not many....maybe even none.)

For comparison, green hair algae (one of the most common hitchhikers) are very reef-oriented by comparison....they like the SAME conditions that corals like.

When you start with dead rock, the only beneficial microbe inoculations your tank will get is from livestock you add.....which generally comes AFTER you're done letting the rock ("filters") settle in.....so it's too late to help against things like algae blooms.

Most nano tanks seem to be clones of the basic JBL or BioCube design....a basic fish setup, usually with "contractor grade" components like pumps and lights....nothing fancy.  If you want to be classic, go for one of the brands that started the nano thing in the first place....but I doubt you'll be too unhappy with any small tank, if that's what you're after this time around.   Ideally, IMO, go with whatever your local store sells.  Usually makes living with your tanks simpler if there's a dealer in your area.  👍

7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

So you got out roughly in 2011?  Seems like not THAT much has changed since then in terms of keeping a successful reef tank...some things have gone a little backwards.

Did you have dead rock or live rock in the last setup?  

Did you read any books or magazines for information back then?

What style of reef setup did you have back then?

What's the biggest difference you've noticed so far in reef keeping "nowadays" vs 2011?

I have only ever used live Fiji rock.  I did have issues with red bristols and I think I had a bunch of crabs called gorilla crabs if I remember correctly.  I removed several from my large 250 tank as they were killing my fish.  I understand the benefits of live rock and thought that I would try the liferock this go around to have a better grip on these critters.  Maybe with the small amount of rock that I actually need, perhaps live won't be to difficult to manage.  

I would classify my tanks back then as a community setup with more emphasis on fish over coral.  

I am literally getting back in with research phase right now.  The one thing that I notice is lighting.  My last setup was halogen and on my smaller tanks I used Power compacts.  Back in the day it was all about stacking the tank with as much live rock as you could, mostly along the back wall.  Frags were just smaller live rock chunks with coral on them.  It was all softies for me back then compared to now with the advances in lighting and LED and lower costs.  

When I was really into it, it was all about equipment add ons, ATOs were for the high end tanks.  Skimmers were essential and it seems like chemicals and additives were the only solution.  Massive sumps etc etc.  To be honest pico and nano tanks were sort of taboo 20+ years ago.  Even when I set up the 2 bio cubes I was told that it was a waste.  I was at my LFS yesterday and I see mini skimmers, and UV lights now.  

The one thing I am seeing watching YouTube is less is more.  Minimalist design, rimless tanks are so beautiful compared to the ones with the old black plastic trim.  Less rock and more focus on aqua scape design.  People are growing some seriously once difficult corals in smaller nano aquariums (blows my mind).  I have been watching one channel and the guy has 3 tanks set up and he uses no filtration, just water flow and the odd time a surface skimmer...

The refugium will be for added biological filtration.  I do not plan on setting it up right away but I will once the tank is up and running.  

You have given me lots to think about.  I am still in the figuring it out phase and I am in no hurry to get buying just yet.  I want to do things right and take my time with it all.  

Thank you so much

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

First off, be careful with mcarrol's adive. he tends to criticize any reefing methodology that isn't his own while simultaneously not showing any picture/s videos of his current tank to show that his advice even works. 

He occasionally has good advice, but there's a lot of bad advice like this: 

10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

In addition, (harmful) hitchhikers aren't guaranteed to be found on live rock.  In fact, harmful hitchhikers are pretty rare.  

10 hours ago, mcarroll said:

When you start with dead rock, the only beneficial microbe inoculations your tank will get is from livestock you add.....which generally comes AFTER you're done letting the rock ("filters") settle in.....so it's too late to help against things like algae blooms.

this one ^ is straight false. I neglected my tank and it was able to recover just fine with some TLC. 

That being said I'll give my input on some of your questions:

17 hours ago, boscoT said:

What is a good salt mix these days?

I'd stay with the salt mixes that mix clean and will align with the goal parameters of your system. if you want a sub 8.0 dkh tank I'd go with TM Pro or Brightwell neomarine salt. both mix very clean and doesn't leave any gray caking agents in your mixing tanks. If you want a slightly higher alk range I'd go with TM classic. Same clean mix but with higher alk. 

Is there anything in my setup you would add or take away?

Personally I invest more in the critical equipment (lights, ATO, skimmer, return pump), these I would not go with nothing but the best or highest rated/reviewed because they are the critical components. I don't know much about that light, but I'd for sure pay a little more for the tunze osmolator ATO. Ive had 3 and none of them have ever failed me. 

Livestock... I am leaning towards a pair of snowflake clowns or perhaps a pink streak wrasse and yellow clown goby.  Thoughts on how many fish or other options?

might be a little much in 15g. I also hate clownfish so I'd drop those two, and pick up another more docile fish. With the right scape, 3 fish would be okay if they have adequate space and occupy different areas of the tank. 

I started my 75g with dry rock and will say the first 6-12 months is weird when you start with dry rock due to the lack of bacterial biodiversity. but i's very nice not having any aptasia or weird algaes. What i would do is find someone with an established tank and see if they could give you a few pieces of rubble. It helped my tank quite a bit. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback Kleinreef.  One thing that hasn't changed over the years is peoples strong opinions on reef keeping.  I value everything as it helps me to make an informed decision.  I feel like I am still a while out on rock so I will continue to read up and made a final decision.  Your comment on the size of my reef and the fish hit home.  I would ultimately like a few for sure.  I will not be diving too deep into the more sophisticated corals, but I plan on loading the tank up. 

Today I did a cardboard cut out of the tank decisions that I was leaning towards.  It looked overcrowded on my small night stand and I just didn't get a good feel for the location.  Add that to your comment on my smaller tank size.... I headed to IKEA and went looking at new nightstands.  I settled on the BESTA units.  I got my wife a 23" for her side and I went with the 47" for my side.  This will allow me to have a full size nightstand and A LARGER TANK!!!!  

I think that I will go with the Reef Casa 24 Vila.  Its 23.6Wx16Lx14H.  This will better facilitate my desire for a few fish (2 maybe 3) and my aquascape. 

I too prefer higher end equipment.  I have added the ATO that you recommended to my list as well as upgrading my light to an AI Prime 16HD in black.  From what I could tell I would need 2 Reef Casa lights for the 24Gal.  The AI prime says that it is good for tanks between 18-24" wide.  So this one light should do the trick.  I think I will be going to add a wave maker as well with the larger size aquarium.  Looking at the AI Nero 5.  

I am looking for suggestions for my middle chamber after reading the first comment above.  Stick with a refugium or add a skimmer instead.  

This is why I love forums like these.  You start out with a game plan and keep changing things until you are finally where you are happy with your setup.  

Thank you again for your input so far.  Much appreciated

Ryan

• Like 5
TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, boscoT said:

I am looking for suggestions for my middle chamber after reading the first comment above.  Stick with a refugium or add a skimmer instead

I would wait and see what your nano needs. If you noticed the pH fall and nutrients go up, a little fuge would be good. 

im a big fan of skimmers over fuges purely because it’s less maintenance. If I were you I would try and find a good skimmer to fit in there but only if you need it. But if one or the other fits your habits or personal reefing philosophy more than the other, I would do that one. 

go big or go home 🙂

1 hour ago, boscoT said:

I think that I will go with the Reef Casa 24 Vila.  Its 23.6Wx16Lx14H.  This will better facilitate my desire for a few fish (2 maybe 3) and my aquascape

On 8/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, boscoT said:

I have only ever used live Fiji rock.  I did have issues with red bristols and I think I had a bunch of crabs called gorilla crabs if I remember correctly.  I removed several from my large 250 tank as they were killing my fish.  I understand the benefits of live rock and thought that I would try the liferock this go around to have a better grip on these critters.  Maybe with the small amount of rock that I actually need, perhaps live won't be to difficult to manage.  

If you had a 250 (gallon?) tank, then that would definitely be a lot of rock to manage...especially if you got a load with LOTS of life left on it (vs pre-cleaned)....which sounds exactly like what you had.  😉 

I am literally getting back in with research phase right now.  The one thing that I notice is lighting.  My last setup was halogen and on my smaller tanks I used Power compacts.  

Yeah if you hadn't gotten on the early wave of LED's then that's definitely a big change.  LED's are great in almost all respects and any way you want to slice it, but you'll find that metal halides and florescent (T5HO) still both have their fans.  LED's aren't perfect, and as I'm sure you can recall, some folks felt pretty strongly that some high-kelvin halide setups were pretty close to perfect....operating costs aside, of course.   I still have my dual 150-watt HQI halide setup....still has an old (worn out) set of Radiums in it.  Hasn't been in use for quite a while....but it might see more use someday! 😉 

Back in the day it was all about stacking the tank with as much live rock as you could, mostly along the back wall.  Frags were just smaller live rock chunks with coral on them.  It was all softies for me back then compared to now with the advances in lighting and LED and lower costs.  

I remember the reefs back in the 1990's (of the few I ever saw back then, that is) being exactly like this.  I had never seen or read about them before, so I had no opinions at all up to that point.....and after seeing a 90-ish Gallon tank literally jammed with rock out to the front glass I just wondered to myself were are the fish gonna swim!??

Once folks started getting online....and as The Berlin Method's success circulated....things started to change pretty rapidly.   Reefkeeping.com and advancedaquarist.com (now part of reefs.com I think) both did A LOT to spread good chemistry knowledge that made stony coral keeping A LOT more successful.  (There were folks before that on Usenet doing the same, but that's REALLY going back.  Most folks here weren't born when that was going on. 😉

When I was really into it, it was all about equipment add ons, ATOs were for the high end tanks.  Skimmers were essential and it seems like chemicals and additives were the only solution.  Massive sumps etc etc.

You're bringing back the memories. 😉 

Folks (self included) took a while to realize that skimmers require an ATO to get any kind of consistent performance.   So if you want a skimmer, plan on an ATO as well.   (Most sensitive reef critters will appreciate it, to be honest.)

To be honest pico and nano tanks were sort of taboo 20+ years ago.  Even when I set up the 2 bio cubes I was told that it was a waste.  I was at my LFS yesterday and I see mini skimmers, and UV lights now.  

It's certainly more possible to do a nano now than it was back then.  Like you noticed alreaty – WAY more nano-specific gear out now.  More nano critters too.

But reef keeping also has a "cost floor"....at some point you can make the tank smaller, but you can't make the costs any smaller.   And the up front costs end up being a minority of the costs over the long run.   My 125 Gallon system (mostly easy SPS, few fish) costs chump change for me to keep running....power and everything included.  Should compare favorably with costs to run a similarly stocked (SPS) nano....just less coral and fish can fit in the nano.

So it's as true now as it was then that you should set up the biggest tank that your limits allow.   It makes financial sense and gives you the greatest possible satisfaction level since you have a MUCH MUCH wider range of animals to choose from the larger you go.

But if "biggest" to your situation is 29 Gallons...or 2 Gallons....then that's what you should go with.   😉   It's all relative.   Going "big" was never bad advice.  Tho people do like to take things to extremes....so I believe someone probably said "you can't" or "it's a waste" regarding tiny tanks.

The one thing I am seeing watching YouTube is less is more.  Minimalist design, rimless tanks are so beautiful compared to the ones with the old black plastic trim.  Less rock and more focus on aqua scape design.

That kinda started (IMO) when the ban on Caribbean rock collection went into effect back in the 90's....at least that's when I started seeing the super nice (and sometimes SUPER clean) pacific rock coming in.   All the pacific rock was MUCH MUCH less dense and SO MUCH more shapely (branches, plates, etc) than the Caribbean stuff that had been coming in....which was heavy boulders!

Once this rock became popular, the weight (and quantity) recommendations went WAY down....eventually to "around a pound per gallon".   I even like a visual standard of the tank being "about 1/3 full of live rock"....it seems to net out to the rich quantity.

People are growing some seriously once difficult corals in smaller nano aquariums (blows my mind).  I have been watching one channel and the guy has 3 tanks set up and he uses no filtration, just water flow and the odd time a surface skimmer...

That's essentially The Berlin Method.  It's the most successful method devised to emulate a reef in a tank.  As you note, most "fish tank equipment" was dispensed with.  Strong flow and a protein skimmer (along with good live rock) was more or less the rest of the recipe. 

You have given me lots to think about.  I am still in the figuring it out phase and I am in no hurry to get buying just yet.  I want to do things right and take my time with it all.  

In a way that's one of the best phases of the tank to be in....it'll never be cheaper than this!! 😉    But seriously, I love the research part of the hobby.  If you allow it, there's no end to the learning.

• Like 1
On 8/27/2023 at 2:01 PM, boscoT said:

One thing that hasn't changed over the years is peoples strong opinions on reef keeping.  I value everything as it helps me to make an informed decision.

Welcome back to the hobby!! Yes, lots of strong opinions on which way is the right way, but it reality there are just lots of great ways you can create your own little piece of the ocean successfully depending on your priorities. 

So I'll chime in with my two cents... but really you will be able to make it work pretty much no matter what, if you are dedicated. Several things I have some views/preferences on that I wanted to share:

Your combination of fish (ocellaris clownfish pair, yellow clown goby, and possum wrasse) is really my favorite combination of fish for a nano tank. I only have the yellow clown goby and possum wrasse in my Studio 12 right now because I think the clownfish pair would likely be too much for the tank. If I was going to add another fish to the Studio 12 it would need to be something smaller like maybe a tailspot blenny. So your idea to go up to the next size is a good one if you really love fish, and I think your stocking plan would probably work for a 20 - 25 gallon tank imo. 

I have used Caribsea Liferock for all of my starts except for my Studio 12, which came with Reef Casa's saltwater setup kit so it had Marco rock instead. One of my starts was with Liferock that was already live/cured/wet when I got it from a bin at my LFS, the rest of my starts it was dry. If you can get Liferock wet/live from your LFS, imo that's the ideal scenario, but my LFSs don't always have it or don't always have pieces I like. 

I have never used live ocean rock myself, so I really can't speak from experience using it, but I personally like to have more control over the organisms introduced into my tank, so ocean live rock just doesn't seem like a good fit for me. You will find most of the people here in this forum prefer live rock... whereas in most of the Facebook groups I'm in I see people strongly favor Liferock. 

That being said, if you use Liferock, or other dry rock, you need to put more initial thought into how you will cycle the tank and how to create a balanced ecosystem in your tank. I usually use live sand (I prefer Ocean Direct), Nutri Seawater saltwater that has beneficial bacteria for my first fill, and BioSpira beneficial bacteria. BioSpira was developed by Dr. Tim (of Dr. Tim's One and Only) before he branched off and started his own company. He is a smart guy and has a PhD in this stuff... I have met him and have confidence in his knowledge and products. He has a really good talk from a Macna meeting that I recommend checking out, for a review on cycling:

I also always include Matrix Media in a media bag in the back chamber of my tanks because the Liferock seems really dense to me and I'm not sure it's porous enough to house enough beneficial bacteria on it's own... I always prefer to run tanks with good strong biological filtration, so adding the Matrix Media provides additional surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize. 

As far as equipment, the things you really need to decide on and buy in the beginning in my opinion are the following:

tank

light

pump

heater

thermometer

lid

ATO

I usually like to start out with the stock pump that comes with a tank, figuring that the people who design a tank probably have a pretty good idea about what will produce the best flow for the setup. The stock pump for the Studio 12 had really strong flow already, but I did end up swapping it out over time for an equivalent gph Sicce Syncra Silent, only because the stock pump I got with my tank was noisy (like I probably got a defective one). 

You can decide later on about adding a powerhead once you see what the flow is like from your pump. I have tried lots of nano pumps and the one I would recommend the most is the hygger mini... I like it a lot because the gaps are really narrow so I worry less about my fish and other livestock getting sucked in.

As for the ATO, I recommend checking out a Smart Micro ATO or the XP Aqua Duetto ATO... they are pretty similar... most important though is to choose a model that has an audible alert to tell you when the ATO reservoir has run dry or when there's another issue. I specifically do not recommend a Tunze Osmolator Nano... I had one of those as my first ATO and there was some kind of defect and it would create a short in the electrical system or blow the fuse or something... I even had an electrician come to see if it was my electrical system and he said it was the device. I saw other people with the same complaint in other reviews when I looked back at it at the time, and if you look it up you can find posts about the issue.

Anyway, those are my two cents... like I said, there are lots of different ways to do reefing right these days, so don't worry too much, just do your research, make a choice that seems right for you, and have fun with it!!! I look forward to following along on your build thread! 

• Like 3

Welcome back!

I've heard nothing but good things about the reef casa stuff, including the halo. 

Just a tidbit about an equipment option- If you end up going the skimmer route, I recently picked up the bubble magus miniQ from BRS for my 14.  It has exceeded my expectations and I think you would have no issues with the fit in the AIO chambers.  Like Klein said, it may be an easier alterative than running a fuge.  

It sounds as if you're taking your time and thinking things through, in my mind that'll already give you a leg up.  

I also saw you mentioned a pink-streaked in your fish stocking list.  Let me tell you that if you can find one, do it!  I have one and he is my absolute favorite fish I've ever had 🙂

Are you planning on adding a powerhead? Really depends on what your keeping as the return may satisfy your flow needs.   

• Like 2

@banasophia thanks so much I look forward to watching the video today if I can.  I have decided to go a little bigger with the Reef Casa Vila 24 so I hope to have that combo of fish that I initially wanted.  I am a fish guy... ultimately leading me into a skimmer more than likely.  

I have officially decided on the XPduetto 2.0 ATO.  The tunze will take up a lot more real estate in my rear compartment.  I have read very good reviews on this ATO as well.  I am also buying all of the Reef Casa upgrades as well. I plan on the lid, media basket, rear compartment lid, and the random flow generator.  I will also be upgrading the return pump to the SICCE right from the start.  

lots of time to decide on rock and what not as I will not be setting this up until the end of September as I have two weeks of work training away from home.  I am positive on my aquascape design, I just hope that I can find the right pieces to make the design flow that I want.  I will not have too much rock regardless of what one I go with.  

@ml86743 I am super happy to hear you say that about the Reef Casa.  I would totally do the light, however, I really only want one light on the tank due to space.  I am more inclined to upgrade to the AI Prime 16HD as it will span 18 to 24" and the tank I am getting is 23.6".  

I do plan on purchasing a Nero 3 now as well as I am doing a wider tank than the original 15gal I was considering.  So I want the extra flow in the tank.  

Pink streaked wrasse is my ultimate goal, I am sure one will pop up at some point.  I would consider a six line wrasse as well (my personal favourite) but may be a bit aggressive for such a small tank.  I already know that two clowns will grow to be "A holes" so I want a relatively chill environment.  

Thank you all for the comments.  I am planning a trip out to Fragbox this week to get some of the gear on my list.  I inventoried what I need/want and broken it down into buy now and buy later section.  Not too worried about cost as I am a lot more established now in life than I was a few years ago.  I still want the best value but appreciate quality components more now than ever before.  

Ryan

• Like 3

Just a quick note about the lighting - I have the maxspect jump that has done wonderfully.  Grows SPS and has a great spread.  I really enjoy the app it uses too.  Comes with a arm mount.  Not sure of the price difference from the prime with arm mount but I was able to get mine brand new for dirt cheap.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boscoT said:

I do plan on purchasing a Nero 3 now as well as I am doing a wider tank than the original 15gal I was considering.  So I want the extra flow in the tank.  

You may want to do a little research on this powerhead... I believe there's an issue with small fish getting sucked into them... I do think you can get a protector to add to them though to reduce the risk.

51 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Just a quick note about the lighting - I have the maxspect jump that has done wonderfully.  Grows SPS and has a great spread.  I really enjoy the app it uses too.  Comes with an arm mount.  Not sure of the price difference from the prime with arm mount but I was able to get mine brand new for dirt cheap.   

It is 20.00 Canadian difference and on back order.  So I’ll likely just stick with the prime 16HD. The 32HD is appealing but getting way too expensive for me to get started I think…

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, banasophia said:

You may want to do a little research on this powerhead... I believe there's an issue with small fish getting sucked into them... I do think you can get a protector to add to them though to reduce the risk.

I did read into this as well and found the issue was with the Nero 5 units.  They all come with fish guards now as well

That would be just my luck...

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, boscoT said:

I did read into this as well and found the issue was with the Nero 5 units.  They all come with fish guards now as well

That would be just my luck...

Oh, that's good to know... yes, it would be terrible! 

5 hours ago, boscoT said:

I would totally do the light, however, I really only want one light on the tank due to space.  I am more inclined to upgrade to the AI Prime 16HD as it will span 18 to 24" and the tank I am getting is 23.6".  

Excessive shadows and lack of complete coverage are a couple of potential issues with running a single light.  Some folks seem more sensitive to these things than others.  If the space you are lighting is rectangular, then the coverage issue can be even more prominent.

This thread might be interesting (let me know):

@mcarroll I reviewed the AI site and says that the 16HD has a 24x24 spread.  I’m going to be 23.6x16x14

When I go to reef Casa website and build out my unit, I get to pick between 2 reef Casa halo units or one prime HD16. 

I think I will be ok as I am not jumping into SPS.  If I go down that road I may add another.  The 32HD 2 LED unit may be a bit over the top for my small footprint.  

3 hours ago, boscoT said:

@mcarroll I reviewed the AI site and says that the 16HD has a 24x24 spread.  I’m going to be 23.6x16x14

It's the round peg-in-a-square-hole fit issue, mainly.  The light gives you a light field with a 1:1 length ratio – 24x24".

But you've definitely got a rectangle tank in your sights, a 2:1 length ratio from the sound of the dimensions.

When I go to reef Casa website and build out my unit, I get to pick between 2 reef Casa halo units or one prime HD16. 

Assuming you're looking at the Vila for now since it matches the stats.  👍

The 24x16" footprint includes the filter back section.  They don't give detailed dimensions that I see, but I'll assume the back section is about 4".  

That makes the footprint you want to light 24 x 12".  

A pretty thin rectangle - definitely best for a pair of lights (or even three if they were small enough).  I wouldn't recommend a single lamp for this.  The ends of the tank may be almost dark OR you would be beaming a TON of light into the filter sections, which you really don't want to do, while trying to light up the ends....it's not easy to clean algae back there.

I would suggest the option for the AI Blade or the pair of Reef Casa Halo's, assuming any of them can be mounted low enough to avoid lighting up the filter back section.  (Those gooseneck mounts vary a lot and aren't very adjustable in some cases, so verify the mounting range it allows). Interestingly, the Blade is the cheapest option....coverage should be pretty excellent....and I think it "mounts" on the top rim of the tank...so mounting height wouldn't be an issue.

image.thumb.png.cff9571231398bcdabac24916ed03fb5.png

You aren't, but if you were looking at the Studio (cube) series of tanks, the 24 gallon option would start out with a 22 x 20" footprint, less 4" for the back section, making the display footprint 22 x 16".  Only a 1.3:1 length ratio.  That would be more reasonable to try with a single light....still lower light on the ends on the tank, but maybe "good enough" for the purpose.

I think I will be ok as I am not jumping into SPS.  If I go down that road I may add another.  The 32HD 2 LED unit may be a bit over the top for my small footprint.  

This is worth considering if you are doing corals at all.  Most of the ideas around "SPS" needing special lighting are outdated anyway....plenty of hard corals do better with moderate or low lighting.  Clams and a FEW stony corals are all the really does well with really bright light.  Corals are actually stressed by it, but some deal with the stress of high light better than others.

Any puck-style light (which tend to have ~90º lenses) will tend to have the problem with lack of side-to-side coverage when you're talking about a really narrow display area like 24 x 12".   2:1 length ratio.

It's not on your radar, but for example, Kessils have VERY wide-angle lenses on most models – 140º on mine.  At the correct mounting height (around 4" for me) a significant quantity of the Kessil's output actually goes "around" the rock and corals to be reflected off of the tank's side-glass down lower into the tank, dampening shadows created by the lamps down-lighting very nicely in the process.

Lotsa thoughts!!   🙂 

I would personally skip the Halo light, I've seen the light on here and on instagram, and I don't love the spread nor the colour. They are in this weird price range that is not cheap enough to just wing it and try and also too close to more established lights with good track records like Kessils and Prime16HDs.

A blade, or 2 Primes I think would set you up for success. I currently run 2 Primes over the Innovative Marine 25g Lagoon, and even I wouldn't mind adding some type of strip for shadowing. Drew Orozco, who had a famous 25 lagoon style tank, used a Hydra with some T5s to supplement.

There are some other more expensive options as well, if you are open to that. Orphek makes a good light for this size tank but is much more expensive and overkill based on your current plans.

Are you buying the Reef Casa because you live close to Fragbox? I saw their tanks up close at an expo - they looked alright. Not a ton of reviews on them, but no obvious red flags like the leaking Red Sea Reefers G1. Competing tanks for the one you are looking at are the IM Lagoon 25 and the Waterbox 25. I chose IM because I like the MightyJet return pumps, which have wave and flow controls on an external box.

• Like 2

@Lebowski_ I am going to start with one prime 16HD and see how that goes.  I will add on as I go/need.  I am about an hour from fragbox and I love to support local.  Their dimensions actually fit my area the best.  Both IM and waterbox were too long front to back.  I needed 16" and they are 18 and 19" I believe.  The Reef Casa 24 is 23.6x16x14. Perfect fit for my night stand.  

• Like 3

So I did a thing today....

I visited the Fragbox store and met the staff.  Incredible people, super kind and their knowledge base was nothing short of spectacular.  I purchased most of my setup with the exception of a skimmer.  I won't need one for some time.  I hope to get it set up in a few weeks after a work course.  

I ended up with the Reef Casa 24 Vila 23.6x16x14.  The recommendation was to start with one AI prime 16HD and go from there.  

My equipment purchased today was:

• AI Prime 16HD with AI rigid mount
  • AI Nero 3
  • Tunze Ozmolator 3155 ATO
  • Colbalt 100w ceramic heater
  • Sicci 1.0 upgrade return pump
  • Upgraded media rack
  • tank screen lid
  • dual random flow generator
  • Marine Pure Bio Filter media
  • Flipper Nano Cleaner

I am holding off on the Tunze protein skimmer until the tank is established.

I have a few weeks before I get sand and rock.  I would like to pick up a spectra RO/DI soon before I get going as I want to make my own water.  

Still researching what salt to use and what readily available to me.  I will try and get some pictures tomorrow during the day of my tank and location.  The rear compartment is massive and I will have more than enough room for a refugium and skimmer in the middle compartment.  Reef Casa is designing a refugium basket that you will be able to add into the middle compartment.  I will likely add a refugium light before I add the water so that I am still able to get to the back of the tank.  

Pretty excited.  This is turning out to be my ultimate setup and my 15 year old me 30 years ago would be so proud of what we ended up with today!!

• Like 3