Pod Your Reef

Splitting or dying torch

noobiereef

Hi all,

I recent got this torch and was looking at it at night. I noticed the flesh line is up and looks like the Skelton is almost peeking. Is this torch dying or normal splitting?

Screenshot_20230821_010425_Gallery.jpg

20230821_010413.jpg

20230820_231723.jpg

not splitting.  the skeleton DO NOT actually split for growth.  They continue to grow upward and start to grow apart, that's what spitting means.

you tissue is receding up the skeleton slightly, definitely a sign of it being unhappy.  it could be water conditions being different from where it came from, and still adjusting.  or lack of nutrients, etc.   should be correctable still with proper care.   I can't tell you what magic numbers are to keep torches happy, I've only managed to keep my current one happy long term for the first time in a long time.  

• Like 1

The tissue is receding which is usually caused by stress. Too much light, flow, water parameters aren't stable, or just stress from being in a new environment. Give it time to adjust to your tank, don't blast it with flow, keep it in lower lighting, and test your water.

It will eventually become 2 heads as it grows upward which could take months. Also, clean the poor thing up and get rid of that bubble algae before it becomes a problem for the rest of your tank. Nip it in the bud now or you will for sure regret not doing so later. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

not splitting.  the skeleton DO NOT actually split for growth.  They continue to grow upward and start to grow apart, that's what spitting means.

you tissue is receding up the skeleton slightly, definitely a sign of it being unhappy.  it could be water conditions being different from where it came from, and still adjusting.  or lack of nutrients, etc.   should be correctable still with proper care.   I can't tell you what magic numbers are to keep torches happy, I've only managed to keep my current one happy long term for the first time in a long time.  

Ok thanks for the help! I'll try moving it to a slightly different flow spot. I have another torch that has been doing well. 

8 hours ago, MrP said:

The tissue is receding which is usually caused by stress. Too much light, flow, water parameters aren't stable, or just stress from being in a new environment. Give it time to adjust to your tank, don't blast it with flow, keep it in lower lighting, and test your water.

It will eventually become 2 heads as it grows upward which could take months. Also, clean the poor thing up and get rid of that bubble algae before it becomes a problem for the rest of your tank. Nip it in the bud now or you will for sure regret not doing so later. 

Thanks! Yeah unfortunately I got this thing filthy and have been scared of touching it until it's happy. Would you also recommend scraping down the stem too? 

• Like 1
On 8/21/2023 at 1:10 AM, noobiereef said:

I recent got this torch and was looking at it at night. I noticed the flesh line is up and looks like the Skelton is almost peeking. Is this torch dying or normal splitting?

Definitely doesn't look too happy, but you already knew that!   😉

We could make a much better guess what's happening if you can post some info about the tank.  Especially nutrient levels.  Other info would be interesting too....about lighting and flow, how old is the tank, etc. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...