Innovative Marine Aquariums

Saltwater delivery subscription?

peco54

Hey all!

Long-time lurker here (since 2005) and recently exploring some business ideas for nano-reefers and was hoping to get your thoughts:

I was wondering what you all thought about a subscription service that delivers fresh pre-mixed RO saltwater at an amount (5-20 gallons) and interval that you choose (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly etc.) -- and with the salt that you choose (Instant Ocean, etc.)

Sometimes I get too busy (and lazy) to do water changes and just want someone to bring me clean trust-worthy saltwater for me to just pour in my tank. Of course it would cost more than mixing it yourself so there would obviously be a premium for the convenience factor.

1. Would you use this service?

2. What do you think would be a reasonable price? ($X per 5 gallons delivered)

Thanks so much in advance!

I wonder if shipping would price you out of the market.  I'm not sure how companies ship 50lb packages for almost nothing.

But on the other hand, it might be a doable local market business (if you live in a city that has lots of hobbyists).  I might offer it as RO/DI without salt, then premixed saltwater using a specific salt mix (Fritz Reef Pro Mix is a lower alkaline mix that should appeal to most).

Keep in mind that most hobbyists already have a RO/DI unit.  So your market would be new hobbyists and people currently using distilled water.  I'd think that the delivered price would have to be less than distilled water purchased at the store; so maybe $5 or less for 5 gallons.  Maybe $10 for 5 gallons of premixed saltwater.

:unsure:Maybe team up with one or more local fish stores and offer them a cut.  My 2 cents.

Thanks seabass! That's great feedback. Definitely hear you on the shipping price, and can also see that it may be economical only in places with higher hobbyist concentration (and/or newer hobbyists as you mentioned). I think starting off, the model would need to be a small warehouse/garage (1 per city) where the saltwater is mixed, and a small van drives around and drops it off at homes. Love the idea of teaming up with local fish stores so maybe that "small warehouse" is simply an LFS.

I'm curious about your thoughts (or other's thoughts) around the convenience factor? For example, I also have an RO/DI unit at home, buckets, and mixing pump; but can also imagine using this subscription service for the convenience of not needing to do any of the mixing, RO/DI upkeep, salt pouring, and salinity measurements. I could also just be a unique case and unusually lazy haha 🙂 

I feel there is some value there.  RO/DI takes up space (the unit, storage tanks, mixing buckets, etc) which is an issue for some.  And renters often are hesitant to alter plumbing, and faucet installs aren't particularly attractive.

Using a reef salt mix has certain advantages over natural seawater (such as better parameters for growing stony coral).  However, I'd try to keep pricing below:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-pacific-ocean-water-5-gallons-2426291

1 hour ago, peco54 said:

maybe that "small warehouse" is simply an LFS

Maybe; but I see it more like they sign up customers and they get a commission/cut of each sale (you'd do the making, mixing, and delivery).  Some local fish stores already sell water (it gets customers to come into their stores, which often triggers impulse buys).  Other stores are only making enough water for use by themselves.

natalia_la_loca

I’d pay for saltwater delivery if the price markup wasn’t too high. I buy my saltwater premixed from the LFS because I have no desire to mess around with RODI units or salt mixing and I’ve always had nano or pico tanks.

• Like 1

@seabass Great points! I do remember back when I was renting, it was unnerving to plumb a line out of the sink for the RO/DI. Because of this, I was just buying distilled water for awhile. I also didn't trust myself so I was afraid of unknowingly creating a flood in my 4th floor apartment when I was away.

Ah, I see what you mean about having LFS's sign up customers and get a cut. That's a great idea! Sorry I didn't fully understand before.

If you don't mind, a quick followup question for you: Is there a price for a service like this where you would consider switching your saltwater needs over to this service (instead of continuing to use your RO/DI unit and manually mixing)?

@natalia_la_loca Thanks so much for your response. Just out of curiosity, what would be the upper range of what you'd be willing to pay for a service like this? I'm particularly curious since you mentioned you also have or had pico tanks. Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, peco54 said:

Is there a price for a service like this where you would consider switching your saltwater needs over to this service (instead of continuing to use your RO/DI unit and manually mixing)?

For me... no.  I have a dedicated fish room with plenty of room and a 200 gallon storage tank for RO/DI.  It lets me make as much saltwater that I need whenever I need it.  It's so convenient and inexpensive that even if free RO/DI water could be delivered to me, I probably wouldn't switch.  But I can certainly see how this service could be in demand by others.  The mixing doesn't really bother me.  I use a Brute container to mix 25 to 30 gallons, or a 5 gallon bucket for smaller amounts.

Another thought... those 160 gallon buckets (and 200 gallon boxes) of salt are heavy for some people.  I have a bad back and if it goes out, I have a hard time with moving something that heavy.  So I wonder if offering a 3 gallon option would be popular (as that would only be about 30 lbs). :unsure:

Got it, makes sense. Sounds like you already have your own saltwater production plant 😆

Love the idea around smaller sized bottles. 5 gallons is definitely at the edge of what is bearable to lift. Also, smaller bottles would be great for sub-10gallon tanks and picos.

• Like 1