Top Shelf Aquatics

The Cherry Shrimp Church

wuzzo

Hey all, I know this is a reef forum but I wanted to take a fresh dive. Saw banasophia setting up one, and had been thinking about doing a planted tank so decided to jump in. So here’s the game plan:

Shrimp community tank, tons of cherries with an amano or 2 and then some smaller fish, thinking chili rasboras and some panda or dwarf Cories? Need some help deciding the stocklist.  

Equipment:

Cheap nicrew c10 plants led on amazon

Marineland C-160 filter I found in my garage

Fluval 50w heater

Aqueon 10g rimless tank

Plants:

still need to figure this out, not quite sure what I even put in the tank to begin with. 

Hardscape: (don’t mind the outlet, it’s been fixed)
IMG_0134.thumb.jpeg.a93a66e90a0377414b3551e7cefdb228.jpeg
Filling

IMG_0136.thumb.jpeg.6ad3331697edd3e1905ae50ef3547076.jpeg

FilledIMG_0231.thumb.jpeg.85c2de821f60efb67b2ca5f90b87a80c.jpeg

Turned out pretty well, can’t wait for the cycle to be done, threw in some quick start and root tabs with it.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Thanks all, wondering how many of what I can have in the tank, as far as fish go. Thinking maybe 6-8 chili rasboras and maybe 3 or 4 dwarf cory, they both basically have no bioload and I’ve got a canister filter for a much bigger tank, so I think it would work

• Like 2
16 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

Freshwater invasion!

Looks like a great start! Can't wait until it fills in nicely!

PS. That electrical socket is looking like it's seen better days! Please be careful!

Thanks! I mentioned above it has been fixed since, noticed that and got on it quick

• Like 1

IMG_0520.thumb.jpeg.a4bf4649194e55e4cdb0f97f04bf8d46.jpeg

Fts, went to the lfs yesterday and got some albino cory, they’re doing very well. It’s only been a week or two since setup but I added some bacteria and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were at 0, so I decided why not go ahead and add some fun little guys. Parameters all still at 0, ph is low enough to where my high range ph can’t check it so that’s good, need to get some freshwater test kits

also when at the lfs got some floating plants, they gave me a huge variety for like 5 or 6 bucks, they make this tank absolutely beautiful!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Looks good!

Floating plants are one of the best types of plants for nutrient export since they feed directly from the water column.

You should get a foam guard of some sorts for the canister intake or you'll end up with a ton of shrimp sucked into it.  Even with it you'll end up with babies in it, but best to keep as many out as possible.

Chili Rasboras would be fine, but they are pretty small so their food needs to be as well or they can't eat it. Celestial Pearl Danio (Galaxy Rasbora) are popular in smaller tanks as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
9 hours ago, Wazawai said:

Looks good!

Floating plants are one of the best types of plants for nutrient export since they feed directly from the water column.

You should get a foam guard of some sorts for the canister intake or you'll end up with a ton of shrimp sucked into it.  Even with it you'll end up with babies in it, but best to keep as many out as possible.

Chili Rasboras would be fine, but they are pretty small so their food needs to be as well or they can't eat it. Celestial Pearl Danio (Galaxy Rasbora) are popular in smaller tanks as well.

Thank you! I was planning on doing that, a fine mesh screen net or for extra filtration some filter floss wrapped around it, I know shrimp love to hang around the intake lol. Planning on ordering from a reputable guy on ebay, like 17 for 30 bucks free shipping, and if something happens money back. Trying to get good deals. CPDs I heard will eat a bit more shrimp than chilis, but of course they’re all opportunistic feeders. I’ve always loved platies and wanted to just have one as an almost show fish, but they can’t even keep themselves from eating their babies lol.

• Like 1

IMG_0552.thumb.jpeg.edd7964e4beef449c09376f52d49c843.jpegIMG_0550.thumb.jpeg.df4a891ae2a6f611e0003f1a6499012f.jpeg

New picture of corys also and a lot of noticeable growth on I think it’s ludwigia arcuata? Some of them still have more red leaves but of course it’s a low tech setup so they are turning green. Seeing some whiteish algae on that wood, think it was from some flakes sitting there breaking down, probably will go away with time

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Lebowski_ said:

I love seeing happy Corys ❤️ 

Me too! Might go back and get another 2 or 3, they’re so pretty and fun fish to watch 

• Like 1

Just pulled the trigger on 16 Cherry shrimp, medium grade-highish grade it looks from the pictures. Reputable seller on eBay for like 30 bucks, it was a good amount for a pretty good deal, and if it doesn’t work out I get my money back. Should be here in 2-3 days, can’t wait!

• Like 1

The tank is looking great already! 

Sorry I’m so late to the party… not sure why I couldn’t find your journal when I looked for it the other day. You might want to add a link to it in your signature so people can easily find it and scope it out if they are chatting with you in other threads.

I love your scape, plants, and corydoras!! From what I was reading it sounds like it’s really best to keep corys in a school of at least 6, so adding a few more might be good idea. I just ordered some corys for my tank too. Can’t wait to see your shrimp!

4 hours ago, banasophia said:

The tank is looking great already! 

Sorry I’m so late to the party… not sure why I couldn’t find your journal when I looked for it the other day. You might want to add a link to it in your signature so people can easily find it and scope it out if they are chatting with you in other threads.

I love your scape, plants, and corydoras!! From what I was reading it sounds like it’s really best to keep corys in a school of at least 6, so adding a few more might be good idea. I just ordered some corys for my tank too. Can’t wait to see your shrimp!

Thank you! I’ll definitely add my builds to my signature, never really thought about doing it. Planning on adding a couple more Corys definitely, just wanted to make sure the tank was safe for fish even though ammonia and nitrite were 0. I saw your thread, and it’s looking amazing too! Loving those embers, I’m looking for a small schooling fish, and I think I might do those by chance, or probably some type of microrasbora. Also definitely find that hygro if you can, it’s beautiful!

Keeping this tank so far it’s almost like therapy for some of my more expensive corals growing so slow lol, it all grows so quick compared to reefs!

• Like 2

Yeah the embers are really nice… I would definitely recommend them. Black neons are a really nice option I was looking at too. 

I ordered so many plants yesterday, I think my tank will be full so I probably won’t be able to get the hygro… that plant was sold out at the place I was ordering from so I ordered another plant with red leaves toward the top that said it would work in a low tech tank.

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Yeah the embers are really nice… I would definitely recommend them. Black neons are a really nice option I was looking at too. 

I ordered so many plants yesterday, I think my tank will be full so I probably won’t be able to get the hygro… that plant was sold out at the place I was ordering from so I ordered another plant with red leaves toward the top that said it would work in a low tech tank.

I heard black neons may need a slightly bigger tank for a school, but I do like them. Unfortunate about the hygro, but more plants are good! 

I probably won’t get any more fish besides corys or another bottom dweller until the cherries have taken over though

• Like 1

IMG_0657.thumb.jpeg.011454719e62683619d17e16f72f8fbd.jpegWelp, hope this isn’t the infinite in transit of death, I seem to get really unlucky ordering live fish, coral and inverts all the time, seems like they always come a day late recently. Every time I get this message on my tracking it’s usually late by at least a day, but maybe it’s just a coincidence 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, wuzzo said:

IMG_0657.thumb.jpeg.011454719e62683619d17e16f72f8fbd.jpegWelp, hope this isn’t the infinite in transit of death, I seem to get really unlucky ordering live fish, coral and inverts all the time, seems like they always come a day late recently. Every time I get this message on my tracking it’s usually late by at least a day, but maybe it’s just a coincidence 

Ah yayyy!!! 👏👏👏  And my delivery just shipped to arrive to me tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Went in to petsmart because I somehow lost my frozen mysis shrimp? They just disappeared… somebody might’ve thrown them away but I don’t know. They said they had some omego one frozen mysis online but when I went in they had none. I came out with a windelov Java fern and some Hikari algae wafers for the corys lol.  

On a more serious note, you guys think my fish can get used to seachem marine flakes for a couple days? Only thing I have. Most of my fish like it except this one chalk basslet…

Hmmm I’m not sure about whether marine foods are okay for a freshwater tank…

Those windelov Java ferns are cool looking.