Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Cherry Shrimp Church

wuzzo

46 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Hmmm I’m not sure about whether marine foods are okay for a freshwater tank…

Those windelov Java ferns are cool looking. 

Oh no I’m talking about for my reef tank, just not sure if they are a good option, I hear many people don’t like flakes.

+1 on the windelov, decided to see what they had, they also had some brown buce tissue culture but it was practically nothing, love the almost flame like tips of the windelov 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, haven’t touched the tank at all except just put in liquid fern and some food for the Cories once a week, and everything couldn’t have gone better. Honestly annoys me how easy keeping a planted tank is lol, I invest so much time and money into my reef and it’s nowhere near as easy. I trimmed the water wisteria and took out literally 8 OUNCES OF FLOATERS. Shrimp are much more visible, and you can tell they’re population has grown at least slightly, but there are some extremely pregnant big mamas in here, in a week or two they should let the babies go.IMG_1342.thumb.jpeg.9b666f8d2b6422af9a60edb98937db6e.jpegIMG_1341.thumb.jpeg.20bef6b7af9c8b23470d3e95c08b3d06.jpeg

Above is while doing maintenance, they are so bright when the light is on them.

IMG_1349.thumb.jpeg.586ab2bff41a1c06d6dd35ce58eb8e72.jpeg

Above is fts immediately after trimming and maintenance, will probably take another tomorrow.

IMG_1345.thumb.jpeg.b991a10adeb456fc1e900af92c5f85d8.jpegIMG_1339.thumb.jpeg.0b28cb46209c31f585a92f7c8fd13a96.jpegIMG_1344.thumb.jpeg.fc82500593a4e29738ef487de3a50e05.jpeg

Fun shrimp pictures

• Like 3
banasophia

So cool!! Looks like the shrimp are loving life in their new home and your plants are growing so well. What fertilizer are you using? Were you saying you only feed the cories weekly? Maybe I’m overdoing it with mine… I’ve been feeding daily. 

17 hours ago, banasophia said:

So cool!! Looks like the shrimp are loving life in their new home and your plants are growing so well. What fertilizer are you using? Were you saying you only feed the cories weekly? Maybe I’m overdoing it with mine… I’ve been feeding daily. 

Thanks! Just using some leaf zone that I for some reason had under my bio cube counter… I only ever feed them twice a week as they eat all the detritus that collects too, sometimes I’ll feed some flakes or sinking pellets but not much else, they seem to love it and are healthy. Feeding daily definitely isn’t overkill, I just like to feed a couple times a week for these guys since they don’t need a ton. Over feeding in a shrimp tank can be detrimental.

• Like 1

As a general rule of thumb, small fish should be fed daily. That's negotiable if they have other food available in the tank (I used to have a pico goby I fed about once a month because it ate pods the rest of the time), but, unless you have a problem that requires less feeding, daily feeding is probably best.

To the best of my knowledge, corydoras don't eat detritus. They do eat microorganisms that grow in the detritus, but detritus itself isn't particularly nutritious. If yours are fat and growing on infrequent feedings, they're probably getting all the little critters.

50 minutes ago, Tired said:

As a general rule of thumb, small fish should be fed daily. That's negotiable if they have other food available in the tank (I used to have a pico goby I fed about once a month because it ate pods the rest of the time), but, unless you have a problem that requires less feeding, daily feeding is probably best.

To the best of my knowledge, corydoras don't eat detritus. They do eat microorganisms that grow in the detritus, but detritus itself isn't particularly nutritious. If yours are fat and growing on infrequent feedings, they're probably getting all the little critters.

Yeah I may have been misinformed, but I probably won’t change anything because they are still fat and growing. 

Edit: also forgot to say that the algae wafers I put in last a good 2 days, sometimes 3

• Like 2

Ah, that would help. Make sure to give them some protein now and then; they don't look it, but those cute lil guys are predators, albeit omnivorous ones.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

IMG_2199.thumb.jpeg.fda38f0081bf05e3c5de9905d352e795.jpeg
Current FTS, removed another cup of plants last night:IMG_2112.thumb.jpeg.cdcf001c28dbc39e88e7659e468ffdfc.jpeg

Now into the 2nd or 3rd generation of shrimp, some mamas are just getting their first brood while some have already given birth more than once. These shrimp are impossibly small, but if I had to estimate I’d say I have maybe 40 or so now? Lots of them hide in the rocks, but you see them much more often. Id like to see how many there really are by just lifting one of the rocks, but I don’t want to disturb anything

Freshwater planted tanks like this are the definition of an autopilot tank, yesterday was the first time I had touched the tank besides maintanence since last post May 17, and it’s not even really maintenance, just taking floating plants and water wisteria out. It’s very relaxing knowing you have a tank that won’t go downhill if you don’t bother with it as much.

Aa the shrimp population increases, I’ve changed my mind on getting chili rasboras or some free floating fish, and I now want to just have a school of 6-8 Cories lol. They’re just so fun and of course they eat some babies, but not as much.IMG_2208.thumb.jpeg.0f4f106e77de169bc0c38e61139c75b9.jpegIMG_2206.thumb.jpeg.5358a09eaf001cc3afcc0c343f8a38e3.jpegIMG_2207.thumb.jpeg.268a83f0a3263014fd886e258b76918d.jpegIMG_2205.thumb.jpeg.6d06f76d752bed612b9e5aa99a178644.jpegIMG_2216.thumb.jpeg.40f8815915edde393ee5ad3b0cc05789.jpegIMG_2220.thumb.jpeg.e6d500fc4de2bc998b7effbf87391ade.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Wow, looks so great!!! Lush! Cool that the shrimp are doing so well and that it’s low maintenance. Are you thinking of getting more of the same type of cory?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Wow, looks so great!!! Lush! Cool that the shrimp are doing so well and that it’s low maintenance. Are you thinking of getting more of the same type of cory?

Thanks! Neocaridina are extremely easy in my opinion, all types of them, as they’re all the same shrimp just bred for color morphs. I don’t know about caridina, I know people say they’re difficult but that’s from a freshwater keepers perspective, for anybody keeping a reef I feel they’d only be mildly challenging at most.

I was thinking on getting more albinos, if not more dwarfs. I think I want to get 4-6 more albinos though so I can see more schooling behavior.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and a reference for how small these guys come out:IMG_2231.thumb.jpeg.606917ac1cf251cc6a196e4e208e8c09.jpeg

Heres a probably day or two, maybe 3 day old baby, (the new borns hiding in the floating plants are even smaller!) next to one of the adult males. All 3 Cories passed by the little guy and a couple other small babies that could totally fit in their mouth, but they didn’t seem to care. Good sign

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 4 months later...