SaltCritters.com

My second BioCube

3000kelvin

I got into this hobby a few years ago with a BioCube 32 and fell in love. My tank had to be broken down after a few months, but my love for the hobby never faded. Fast forward a few years and I'm ready to get back into the hobby. I knew I wanted another AIO and wasn't committed to another BioCube until I saw one posted locally that hadn't sold in quite some time. It came with Steve's LED upgrade and the WiFi controller, so I was sold. 

I picked the tank up yesterday and went to work right away on my reefscaping. I'm excited about how it's turned out but unsure if I'll be going any higher with the rockscape. The rockscape was built in the tank. I have two larger caves and some arches. My original plan was to go reef only, mainly SPS, but I'd like to add a pair of clowns and  a Royal Gramma at some point so I wanted to include a few hiding spots. 

I glued the rocks into place and went back and added epoxy. Once that cures, I'm going to be giving the tank a good cleaning and remove the bioballs still in the back.  

Equipment plan is heater and protein skimmer in chamber 1, inTank basket in chamber 2 (possible fuge basket in chamber 2 at later date) and return pump in chamber 3. I also may try to fit a Mean Green Machine in there somewhere. 

6671E4DC-491E-4AE4-A890-36EC9827333A.JPG

BEB8B595-55DB-43E0-A5CD-D89C6476A89B.JPG

83E357D3-4566-49B9-AEF3-C50E9A7D1BD5.JPG

• Like 5

Added sand and finalized my rockscape. Will start adding water this weekend. Bummed with how some of my epoxy dried. I think I got a bad tube of Seachem  Purple Coralcrete. The green epoxy I used dried cured much better. 

8FFEC09A-D47E-416B-8B4E-1DA9FA17EE42.jpeg

3517364F-C71F-45A0-BFB5-F0C17BE77375.jpeg

A92AE204-C82F-4EAE-BD64-8CE8CE678D51.jpeg

FB5433EA-D563-48C9-8099-7CCECE5F1323.jpeg

• Like 1

Salt has been ordered. I live in the city of Chicago and I don't really have a good LFS. Seems like the recommended shops are far away from me or have hours that conflict with my work schedule. That had a major impact on my decision which was to start with Red Sea Coral Pro.

My RODI unit should arrive tomorrow as well so I'm excited to finally start making water, mixing salt and getting this tank up and cycling.

I installed a 9w Green Killing Machine in Chamber 1 and it looks like I'll have enough room for the heater I bought plus the Coralife Protein Skimmer.

Here's my updated equipment plan, with media being subject to change:

Chamber 1:
FREESEA 100W Mini Aquarium Fish Tank Heater
9w Green Killing Machine
Coralife Protein Skimmer

Chamber 2:
InTank Media Basket
[Filter Floss -> Chemi-pure Elite -> Purigen ->BioBalls?]

Chamber 3:

Return pump

I'd like to upgrade the return pump to get more flow. Was looking at the SICCE Syncra Silent 1.5 but the price of the Rio Plus 1400 is hard to beat. Also considering a MaxiJet 1200.

The guy I got the tank from was using the BioBalls that came with the tank, but I removed them.

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
20 hours ago, 3000kelvin said:

Added sand and finalized my rockscape. Will start adding water this weekend. Bummed with how some of my epoxy dried. I think I got a bad tube of Seachem  Purple Coralcrete. The green epoxy I used dried cured much better. 

8FFEC09A-D47E-416B-8B4E-1DA9FA17EE42.jpeg

3517364F-C71F-45A0-BFB5-F0C17BE77375.jpeg

A92AE204-C82F-4EAE-BD64-8CE8CE678D51.jpeg

FB5433EA-D563-48C9-8099-7CCECE5F1323.jpeg

The rockscape is very beautiful. 

• Agree 1

In case anyone is wondering, chamber, one will fit the new version of the CoraLife Protein Skimmer and the 9w Green Killing Machine. Here's a photo of chamber 1 with the skimmer cap removed so you can see better. I'd assume that there's still enough room for a tube heater. I plan on using a small, flat heater I picked up off Amazon in this chamber as well. 

A7315321-2885-489C-B8C8-7F79806782D5.jpeg

Rockwork has been finished and water and supplements were added last night. Here’s a before and after photo showing the tank clearing over the course of 6 hours. As it cycles I’m using only a stock filter to help clear the water

1043B583-EF57-46D8-9CF8-B48A3814F4A8.jpeg

BDCA10DD-09AD-402D-8D9D-1865EEC89054.jpeg

• Like 1

Installed my ATO tonight and I gotta admit, I got pretty excited hearing it go off for the first time. I didn't run one in my last tank so I wanted to be sure it was one of the first things I got up in running in this build. I bought a MagTool ATO from Amazon. No problems so far, and a very quiet little pump.

Speaking of pumps, I'm not getting enough flow with the stock pump so I added a JEREPET 800GPH pump to my Amazon wish list. I want something controllable so that I can balance the flow with the wave pumps I'll be running. I'll keep the stock pump for water changes.

Made some gear acquisitions after deciding to run a fuge in chamber 2 of the tank. I'm going to Velcro an Acke 12w grow light to the back of chamber 2 as the fuge light. In the second chamber I'll be using an InTank media basket with filter floss, Fluval activated charcoal pads, and Matrix. I think I'll let the tank tell me if I need to add something like Purigen or Chemi-Pure. Next to the media basket will be the InTank Fuge Basket.

I'm nervous about the setup as the CoraLife protein skimmer clips onto the wall separating chambers 1 and 2, and that's where the InTank water director needs to go. Might have to get creative with how things are placed in chamber 1.

84E6F17D-A9DD-4C48-8622-2CE9B8EC36ED.jpeg

The temp in my tank has been slowly rising so I pulled the heater from chamber 1. Seems like the majority of the heat being created is from the LED upgrade. I dropped the temp probe into the tank and didn't get any cooler readings. The tank is holding steady at 83.3 degrees F. I opened the front and back closures to try to increase air circulation and will monitor the temps. I also opened the living room window to get some cooler air in the apartment, so hopefully that will help.

Performed my first water test today and it looks like the tank is cycling nicely. I'm also still battling a rising temperature in the tank. I'm running everything but the heater to see if I can pinpoint a specific heat source and I'm finding that I think it just comes down to the hood keeping the warmer air trapped. I ordered 2 mini USB fans that I'm going to attach to the open holes in the back of the hood to see if that can't help keep things a bit cooler. Tank was maxing out at 84 degrees so I'm hoping some extra airflow will help. Also installed my wave pumps last night. Almost ready for livestock!

3140792D-D010-48DE-B3CC-7ED65BCFEAA7.jpeg

BE84FA7C-8565-4EE7-A415-CA5D42844CD8.jpeg

• Like 1

Still waging a war to get this tank's temp lowered. 

I emptied half the tank and moved it to an interior wall and away from a window in case ambient temps were affecting the water temp. I also installed our apartment's window AC unit yesterday and ran that while running no lights. My water temps still fluctuated around 83 degrees. Currently,at 6:30am I'm at 83.7 degrees, which is where I've been topping out at) and the lights and fuge light have been off all night. 

I'm frustrated. 

I  found some articles here on R2R that mention installing small USB fans in the back of the hood to promote more airflow. I ordered them from Amazon and set them up this morning to see if they have any positive impact. 20 minutes in and still 83.5/83.7 steady. 

B1102CE3-B67C-43CB-B3D5-52D08B53D6A6.jpeg

Look for the chiller probe. I found one at a lfs for dirt cheap. They were made for these tanks in mind. I'll snap a pic of how mine is mounted when I get home. It will require modding the hood if you don't want to drill the back glass.

16 minutes ago, ls1fst98 said:

Look for the chiller probe. I found one at a lfs for dirt cheap. They were made for these tanks in mind. I'll snap a pic of how mine is mounted when I get home. It will require modding the hood if you don't want to drill the back glass.

Appreciate the response. Not sure if having the spend more money and modding the hood is the answer I wanted to hear. I found a cheap import chiller on eBay for like $60. I may give that a whirl. 

I also just checked my temps, and it looks like things are cooling a bit as I'm down to 82.4. 

1 hour ago, 3000kelvin said:

Appreciate the response. Not sure if having the spend more money and modding the hood is the answer I wanted to hear. I found a cheap import chiller on eBay for like $60. I may give that a whirl. 

I also just checked my temps, and it looks like things are cooling a bit as I'm down to 82.4. 

Is it one of those ones with a plate and fab, uses a peltier device? I worry about those leaching unwanted stuff since they are aluminum 

4 minutes ago, ls1fst98 said:

Yea that one worries me if you plan on keeping corals. I couldn't get any info on them about the coolers waterblock. I'd be worried about leaching. This is what was made for the biocube type tanks. 

https://www.amazon.com/IceProbe-Thermoelectric-Aquarium-Chiller/dp/B001JSVLBO/ref=asc_df_B001JSVLBO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198088359792&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16846545670430292852&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015157&hvtargid=pla-319865085565&psc=1

Ugh. I saw that but it’s require me to drill glass or mod the hood

1 hour ago, 3000kelvin said:

Ugh. I saw that but it’s require me to drill glass or mod the hood

Drilling isn't as bad as it sounds honestly. The hood mod would only be in the back right corner where the chamber stays constant level. Or, get a really cheap reef rated external. Jbj used to make some

I clipped two small pieces of 1/2” tubing and used them as hood props. That got my temp down to 75.4. I think at this point I’m going to get something more stiff at Home Depot like rigid tubing and use that to prop the hood up for air. Will also supplement with some sort of screen over the top or around the gap to prevent future residents from jumping to their death.

10BA62C7-F80C-4D79-A0EB-AF407397139E.jpeg

I swapped the original return pump for a pump with a controllable flow and I've been able to get my tank's temp under control, even with the hood on. Been staying a consistent 78/79 degrees.

I think I have settled on my livestock plan which will consist of the following:

Royal Gramma

Clownfish pair

Purple fire fish

Pink streak wrasse

Blue/Green Black Axil Chromis

My cycle stalled, so I restarted it, this time with Dr. Tim's. Hoping to ad fish in 8 days.