Coral Vue Hydros

Sharbuckles IM Fusion 15 Cube

Sharbuckle

Hello Nano Reefers.

I’ve been in and out of the Reefing hobby for many many years. My first ever tank was a 15 gallon long back in 2008.

I remember how every single new coral purchase was incredible. Pulsing xenia was mind blowing, eagle eye zoanthids, green star polyps, toadstool leathers… all blew my mind.

Well here we are in 2023 and I’m back with a 15 gallon nano reef.

This tank will focus on that initial love, passion, and excitement I felt all those years ago. I will only be placing simple but beautiful soft coral in this tank. Gsp, xenia, discosoma, zoanthids, toadstool. The stuff that originally drew me to this hobby.

Id like to get back to a place of simplicity. Water changes and skimmers will be the only method of nutrient export and replenishment. 

Equipment:

Innovative Marine Fusion 15 Cube

Bubble Magus Mini Q skimmer

50w petsmart heater with ink bird 

Kamoer ATO

30w Nicrew light from Amazon 

That’s it, that’s all. Simplicity will take the wheel on this one.

Follow along for updates as this tank matures. 

CEB6D3E7-10D6-4D63-9DFB-6C2438E1A44F.jpeg

• Like 4

The tank is just over a week old and all is going to plan. 

I was given LOTS of coral from local hobbyists friends and the tank is already taking shape. 

Not sure why the photo I uploaded didn’t work. I’ll try to take more tomorrow.

The mini q skimmer is working really well and pulling out some wet skim. I also added a spin stream but it’s so so so loud, sounds like the gears are grinding. 

Great to see you back !!! I feel like a few old users are making a comeback and I LOVE IT !!!! 

How is the quality on this tank for the price you cannot beat it with a stick. 

Is the return pump really a DC pump or is it those junky clunky return pumps ? I know some people were saying it didn't come with a controllable DC pump. 

5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Great to see you back !!! I feel like a few old users are making a comeback and I LOVE IT !!!! 

How is the quality on this tank for the price you cannot beat it with a stick. 

Is the return pump really a DC pump or is it those junky clunky return pumps ? I know some people were saying it didn't come with a controllable DC pump. 

Heyyyyy thanks! It’s great to be back! 

looking forward to spending some time updating this thread and seeing what everyone else is up to.

The pump is definitely not controllable but I don’t think they advertise that’s is controllable. I didn’t really take it apart to see what it looked like I was just excited to set the tank up. 

as far as tank quality goes, for the price it’s perfect! No complaints.

• Like 2

Current livestock list:

Two occelaris clownfish

Three toadstool leather

Four types of discosoma mushroom

Purple Cabbage leather

Hairy Mushroom

Two zoanthid frags

Two Rhodactis 

Two Florida ricordea

Will be adding CuC tomorrow if the weather decides to chill out. 

• Like 2

Looks really nice. I am glad IM brought back a simple affordable tank. 

I do miss the excitement I felt when I first got into the hobby. Everything was mind blowing, even seeing pods scurrying around. 

• Like 1

Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing this tanks progress. 

On 1/8/2023 at 11:59 PM, Sharbuckle said:

This tank will focus on that initial love, passion, and excitement I felt all those years ago. I will only be placing simple but beautiful soft coral in this tank. Gsp, xenia, discosoma, zoanthids, toadstool. The stuff that originally drew me to this hobby.

Perfect plan.

On 1/12/2023 at 7:35 PM, Sharbuckle said:

I was given LOTS of coral from local hobbyists friends and the tank is already taking shape. 

10 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

1D850E2C-0ED0-4E1D-86F8-271EAB4B6DCB.jpeg

Already looks great. I hope you enjoy your new set up for years.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back. Looking forward to seeing this tanks progress. 

Perfect plan.

Already looks great. I hope you enjoy your new set up for years.

Thanks Deb! I’m hoping to see this little tank survive the next couple years. I’m EXTREMELY impulsive and as you all know, switch tanks on a whim. So here’s hoping I can control myself haha

• Haha 3
On 1/14/2023 at 11:05 AM, Reefkid88 said:

You had the 40g breeder as your last tank right ? 

Ummm I don’t remember the last tank I had on here, I think it was my 70g sps tank 

• Like 1

Tank is going through the ugly stages HARD!

Diatoms everywhere, time for its first big waterchange. Added a handful of hermits, need some snails as well. Waiting for some Trochus to be in stock locally. 

ive also been given so much free coral from local hobbyist friends this week the tank is pretty much full!

got some zoanthid colonies, clove polyps, and a small Alveopora.

A9D9009E-6340-494F-8CFD-355B01125E69.jpeg

A1716560-84D1-4A2F-829F-6D1B454A16DC.jpeg

• Like 1

Whoa this tank is being hit hard by the uglies…. Hermits are doing a good job though picking away at the rocks and sand. Gotta get this water change done today or tomorrow. 

Finally did a water change today. 20% to be exact. 

Also added a handful of Nerite snails and some smaller nassarius type snails as well.

My good friend jay of Unorthodox Reef also made me a custom lid that fits the tank perfectly. Not a mesh lid but polycarbonate, trying to see how to effects evaporation, may not need an ATO.

1C724961-2815-4C6F-9DBE-94342089EB38.jpeg

AA2C3AB8-FF9F-43BD-912D-076BB589D3E3.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Things are moving quickly. 
You have a good circle of friends.

I’m very lucky to have such a great group!! Tank is almost full… 

Looking much better tonight, shot taken with an orange filter.

62AFA8D8-4EE3-484B-9E02-CEB62DD7DAE8.jpeg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Really something and it's like 3 weeks old!

I thinking this is likely sooner rather than later.

Lol you’re not wrong! 

The other day I helped an inexperienced reefer rehome some livestock. It's where I got the hermits from. She also gave me her live rock, it looks to me like caribsea life rock. Much nicer than the extremely dense, stark white, base rock I currently have in the tank.

Having said that, tomorrow I will be switching the rock over to the life rock, and gluing all my corals to the rock for optimal flow and room to grow.

• Like 2

Okay the new rock is in, and the corals are all glued/epoxied in place! 

Will get some pics when the tank clears up, may do another water change today after moving all the rocks in and out. 

Also noticed today my mini q skimmer is producing tons of micro bubbles in the display, moved it to the display to get a better look and its just spewing bubbles everywhere.... reached out to Local Bubble magus rep, we shall see if I can fix this issue. 

Finally woke up to glass not caked in algae.

here are some phone pics of the new layout, moved all the corals up front so you can actually see them!

just need the toadstool to not be unhappy on its side.

140348F1-3AA8-4CD8-8958-B0742CC2D641.jpeg

74E14FE8-090C-45AE-8D14-00BE22E0CFD9.jpeg

4CE09C43-CCEE-4BCE-858A-D80D1325F9E0.jpeg

16F9546E-2D1E-4A1D-858F-C3B8C6019317.jpeg

969D2F1E-E3D4-4C21-B65C-13D048D15175.jpeg

F184A71C-24A1-411F-BA74-776D6C7DB36B.jpeg

A393B3DF-C920-4E3F-8528-D78DCDAEACDC.jpeg

F1028DB6-8804-44C6-817C-AA4BED0B4AF9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1