Coral Vue Hydros

I'm scared my little clownfish is gonna die

stranger555

So we got this little ocellaris clownfish about a week n half ago. He's about half the size of my full grown female in the tank and we were hoping for him to adjust to the tank and be ok.

However just recently this week we noticed he wasn't really eating and staying in one spot. Which I've heard clowns tend to stay in one spot. But now he's got all these big white spots covering his body and if I'm looking correctly I think he's breathing heavily. He keeps hanging out at the top for a while before sinking down and hanging out at the floor of the tank. He's also just stayed floating in one spot before going vertucle with his head facing down. 

I'm super worried about him and I don't want him to die. 

Personally I know very few about fish tanks. This is my dad's tank. It's 215 gallons if I remember correctly and we've also got a blue damsel, and a blue tang along with the other clown. For information purposes there's hermit crabs, a shrimp and a new anemone in there as well. I'm begging for help on the situation. 

20221221_120319.jpg

I shouldn't be this attached to this fish already so idk why I am.  The second picture was him just a few minutes ago. I'm really worried. I'm pretty sure he's dying. 

20221221_174615.jpg

• Sad 1

The photo isn't that great to make out details on the fish, but those kinda look like battle scars.  Is it possible someone is picking on him?   Are you able to watch the tank for 10-20 minutes straight (more is better) to see what the fish are up to after they get bored from watching you?

My first guess was a fish parasite (like Brooklynella hostilis a.k.a. Clownfish Disease, or Cryptocaryon irritans a.k.a. Marine Ich).

It's very risky putting a new fish in a stocked tank without quarantining it first.  Many of these parasites can't be treated within a reef tank, and can affect all of the fish.  Here is a good resource to read through:

https://www.humble.fish/community/index.php?information/

And more specifically:

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/fish-diseases.3/

• Like 3

Unfortunately our little guy has gone missing in the tank most likely dead now. 

But I did watch the tank a lot while he was in there. He didn't appear to have been getting picked on. He tended to keep to himself a lot in the other corner or around our bigger clownfish. 

When we got him we kept him in the bag in the tank for acclimation but quarantine him would've been a good idea. 

Thank you guys for your responses 

• Sad 1

One sick fish means everything else in the tank is also infected, with that illness dormant but ready to surface if it gets the chance. Best to remove and treat all the fish so it can't reappear and kill something else. Sorry about the lil guy.