Innovative Marine Aquariums

20 Gallon IM Peninsula

snostorm

My new Nano adventure.

I have pretty much had a Nano reef in some form or another for 16 years.  I still have the pair of Clowns from my first tank.  Following my most recent move I transitioned to a Biocube 32.  Got new Sand and dumped my rock in and my Clowns and there they have stayed for 5 years. Did the Steves LED retro....kinda drifted in and out of interest but my Clowns have always been with me. Their final Tank is currently undergoing a fishless cycle, which I have never done before.  This Tank:

20 Gallon IM Nuvo 2 Peninsula

AI Prime 16 HD

They threw me the Nuvo Skim skimmer (which was nice)

20 lbs of Aqua Forest AF Rock

20 Lbs Carib sea special grade.

APS Stand.

Waiting to see signs of Nitrification.  Ammonia and Dr Tims.  No Ammonia drop 5 days in.  Holding steady at 2.0 ppm.

Initial goal will be to bring my Pair of Clowns, a Bi-color Blenny, A royal Gramma, and a cleaner shrimp into the new tank. I have never had a tank of this design and quality.  The IM tanks sure are slick. 

308576130_5859708320720046_1696054787503989736_n.jpg

• Like 4

It seems my fishless cycle sure is taking its time.  My suspicion is the bottle of Dr Tims I got from Amazon was trash.  Ammonia holding steady at 2.0 ppm

9 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Looks like I'm not the only one who runs mine flush against the wall rather than as a peninsula. I put a random flow generator on mine and it works realy well. The corals realy like it.

actually its up against a half wall ..behind are stairs.

Getting nitrite, nitrate.  I'm 2 weeks into my fishless cycle. Things are progressing nicely, especially after I seeded my tank with some sand from my biocube.  Its kinda sad looking at my old tank knowing its days are numbered. It has served me well.  But the shiny new hotness sitting right next to it pretty much seals its fate. 

I installed the Steves LED retro and it really is an upgrader however the violet upgrade cooked my acrylic shield.   I always liked having that lid to cut down on the evaporation. The IM Peninsula though is such an upgrade. Being in Biocube facebook groups and seeing horror stories of the tanks failing at the curved glass corners and dumping your tank on the floor had terrified me.  Especially because this tank is on the second floor and if this did happen the damage would be significant. 

Cant wait to introduce my fish to their new home. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The cycle is complete. 5 weeks and it was time to retire the Biocube. My clowns took the transition in stride. They are savages and have been with me for 16 years. They were like ok seems cool when is it time to eat. The bi color and Royal Gramma are still in shock and in hiding. Hopefully they will adjust in time. 

E2E9C777-B345-4A15-BB4D-8BD82E38FFE7.jpeg

• Like 3

Welp the Nuvoskim DC they threw in with the deal is basically trash.  Pump was shot. Anyone recommend a decent skimmer that will fit this tank?

Eshopps nano skimmer fits in chamber 2 but basicly forget putting anything else in that chamber. I have an older ish one with sicce pump it works fairly well can be a pain to dial in but usualy gives some nice black tea colored gunk with green sludge in the pipe and at the cup bottom.

• Agree 1
  • 3 weeks later...

IM shipped me out a whole new skimmer.  So far I am very satisfied with this company.  The tank is tight, well built.  And they replaced the Nuvoskim DC they threw in originally with the package. Its functioning and producing skimate rather quickly. As I am coming from a Biocube 32 with the lid evaporation is a consideration.  This tank needs an ATO.  The peninsula has little real-estate for equipment in the sump area as I am using the media rack and the skimmer.  Looking at nano ATO's with a small sensor I can accommodate.  Was just looking at the Duetto ATO as it looks to have a small foot print. Anyone use this or have an opinion?  Any recommendations?

On 11/13/2022 at 3:38 PM, snostorm said:

I Was just looking at the Duetto ATO as it looks to have a small foot print. Anyone use this or have an opinion?  Any recommendations?

I was also looking at the Duetto, but it seemed to have a decent amount of reviews that made me unsure. My tank is in my bedroom so it is nearby in case of emergency, and seeing that the Duetto had questionable reviews and went for $100+, I decided to go with a 60$ amazon ATO. Cannot give an honest review as it has been less than a week but it is worth considering. If it is going to fail annually id rather risk a $60 ATO that fails at a similar rate. Just my .02. My LFS did recommend the duetto to me however.

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer
On 11/13/2022 at 5:38 PM, snostorm said:

Looking at nano ATO's with a small sensor I can accommodate.  Was just looking at the Duetto ATO as it looks to have a small foot print. Anyone use this or have an opinion?  Any recommendations?

I'm using the SmartAqua Lite ATO in mine (IM 14) since August of last year and liking it so far! It's been reliable, not needed the sensor cleaning, and seems to have enough sensitivity for a tank this size. I wish it had something like a feed mode where you can disable it for say 10 minutes without having to unplug it and reset the memory but I'm not sure any of them do.

My only complaint is that it *is* pretty sensitive - one of my Nass snails tried to get through the overflow and even that little disruption to the flow had it kicking on a few times until I unplugged it... Not a big deal for me since I don't plan to get any of the really big algae eating snails and my Nass don't climb the glass that much, but something worth mentioning.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/3/2023 at 8:19 PM, FSTanks said:

Following, any updates how’s the AI Prime doing with your corals?

Im not exactly sure what par I am getting nor am I sure what settings to use. Overall Id say its ok.  Need to rent a par meter to get a real idea what is going on. I have to say I do not think I would get this light again for this tank.  Spread and shadows are not optimal. I'm liking the new Blades and am intrigued. They seem like they could be a nice option for this tank.

Over all things presently aren't great. I ditched the Nuvoskim skimmer as it became way too noisy for some reason. My nutrients bottomed out and I got dinos wiped out a monti frag.  I ditched the skimmer and ran the UV in chamber one and it did the trick.  Dosed a bit to get Nitrate and Phosphate measurable again.  I know a skimmer isn't necessary if I keep up on my WC but I'm thinking it might be good to have. I'm actually back in school and time is precious. 

Any way My GSP don't look great but my Duncan is holding its own.  Something is off here., not exactly sure what.  Nitrates are a little high at 20 ppm.  Phosphate is fine. Alk is a little on the high side at 12.2.  Res Sea Coral pro salt It seems.  

• 3 months later...

Welp, ultimately was not thrilled with my  peninsula and wanted to move my tank to my office mancave so I transferred to  25 Lagoon. Couldn’t be happier.  

IMG_0565.jpeg

• Like 1
12 hours ago, snostorm said:

Welp, ultimately was not thrilled with my  peninsula and wanted to move my tank to my office mancave so I transferred to  25 Lagoon. Couldn’t be happier.  

IMG_0565.jpeg

Funny you say that I purchased the IM14 Peninsula and have found that the dimensions really aren't for me, looking into the lagoon myself. 

It's looking great, I'm running the maxspect jump currently (only @60%), not sure how it would translate over to the lagoon.  

One of my biggest issues with the peninsula is that I set it up where I have to have the MP 10 on the front glass and it the viewing angles are just poor.  Just should have scaped it so that the main viewing panel is one of the sides and situated it flush with the wall. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have been really vexed as to what is going on in my tank. Can’t keep nutrients. No skimmer just Floss. No chemical media. Just tested PO4 and nitrate both zero. Alk is 9.1. I guess it’s still maturing. Had an aiptasia outbreak. I picked up a Peppermint shrimp and it went to town. Love this little guy. IMG_0631.thumb.jpeg.ae327d4e1f31e19096120d544e6a9270.jpeg

On 8/9/2023 at 9:34 AM, Lebowski_ said:

Love my lagoon. Much prefer the coverage with 2 primes, though.

Full Tank Shot.png

Beautiful.  Can you share your setup?

So I was really bunning over an Aiptasia outbreak. You know how it goes.  You see one, hit it with Red Sea Aiptasia X and next thing you know you have three and etc....I bought a Peppermint shrimp hoping it would help. I introduced the little guy and he disappeared.  Then a few days later I noticed over half my Aiptasia where gone. Then I saw his head swaying back and forth under a rock.  Next day all Aiptasia gone!!!!!  I love this little guy. I have named him Peppi. I know not very original but this guy is a champ! Now with no Aiptasia I hope he does well and thrives. 

• 2 months later...

Tank is maturing. Like an idiot I bought a nem. Couldn’t resist. Seems to be doing ok. Caught my clown brushing up against it. It’s just a little guy but has grown since I introduced. 

• Like 1