inTank Media Baskets

New Tropic Marin Classic salt High alkalinity. 14 dKH?! Help

Roanfel

So I just got a new pack of Tropic Marin classic salt. Its dKH is supposed to be 9-10 dKH, but when I mix it up it comes out to be 14 dKH!!!?!. I mixed and tossed that bag around when I first got it. 

Ive made two batches with the same results. I measured and used the correct salt portions: ½ cup per gallon and my refractometer read 1.025. Ive tried two different buckets. Ive used two test kits (Hanna checker and api) which both came out to 14dKH.

Is there something im doing wrong? Bad batch? would appreciate the help.

NoOneLikesADryTang

I haven’t really paid to much attention, since I don’t use TM salt, but I know they finally admitted issues with salt that was made at a plant in Turkey. Apparently it caused mass coral casualties. 

Have you you tested your tank water against it, just to make sure you don’t have bad test kits?

they said that was only for their pro reef salt. My box also says its made in Germany. the turkey batches say turkey on them. Also, my test kits are fine because I made a batch last week and they were spot on. plus using two tests getting the same results verifies it

I've always used Tropic Marin, both pro and classic.. I have always had above 10 on a new mix. I've not water changed since June last year and do a monthly salt water top off (of course rodi happens automatically via ato) and I'm a steady 9.3dkh..