ReefCleaners.org

Can anyone help me id this urchin pls?

meanduck124

59 minutes ago, meanduck124 said:

Cool. Do you have anyspecial care and any tips?

Make sur coral frags are glued down.. They will bulldoze your rockwork and pick up loose frags.  Other than that, make sure there is enough algae for them to eat.

• Like 2

I think they get bigger than tuxedo urchins but basically act and eat the same, if you were setup to take care of a tuxedo urchin you should be fine.  Also, I don't think it matters for care, but from the look I'd call this a West Indian Sea Egg (Tripneustes ventricosus), rather than a Pincushion Urchin (Lytechinus variegatus).  Hard to say given differences in coloration within the species, but I think the colors are a better match for the typical version.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Looks like what they call a Halloween urchin to me 🙂 

Now I see the Halloween. I do think it is. Are they reef safe? Do they contain any venom?

15 hours ago, DaJMasta said:

I think they get bigger than tuxedo urchins but basically act and eat the same, if you were setup to take care of a tuxedo urchin you should be fine.  Also, I don't think it matters for care, but from the look I'd call this a West Indian Sea Egg (Tripneustes ventricosus), rather than a Pincushion Urchin (Lytechinus variegatus).  Hard to say given differences in coloration within the species, but I think the colors are a better match for the typical version.

Are these  West Indian Sea Egg safe? I still have no idea what it is so I'm taking every advice given.

16 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Make sur coral frags are glued down.. They will bulldoze your rockwork and pick up loose frags.  Other than that, make sure there is enough algae for them to eat.

What can I get for him when my tank ran out of algae? Do you have any suggested food in mind?

12 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

He got rid of GHA for me. And also what @aclman88 said. I end up picking loose frags or snails from its back every morning.

My tank contains only a clownfish and a RBTA. So I guess it cool for him to pick any thing he likes.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, meanduck124 said:

Now I see the Halloween. I do think it is. Are they reef safe? Do they contain any venom?

They are safe. You can buy dried nori for him. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, meanduck124 said:

Are these  West Indian Sea Egg safe? I still have no idea what it is so I'm taking every advice given.

Yep, as safe as any urchin and similar diet/habits/etc.  Gluing down frags well is good, and though I don't know if this species does, as mentioned there are a number of species which will pick up small debris and hold onto it as camouflage or protection.  Most of these varieties have some pages on care around the internet.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

They are safe. You can buy dried nori for him. 

I've just seen it skipped right through the GHA and munched only coralline. What do you think about that?

25 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

Yep, as safe as any urchin and similar diet/habits/etc.  Gluing down frags well is good, and though I don't know if this species does, as mentioned there are a number of species which will pick up small debris and hold onto it as camouflage or protection.  Most of these varieties have some pages on care around the internet.

Luckily enough, this is a clownfish tank. So there is no frags to glue down. However, I dont know if my RBTA will decide to start a fight with the urchin when they cross path.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 4:05 AM, meanduck124 said:

Yes, they are related to Halloween Urchins, same genus. Same diet too, but they get pretty large, bigger than the Halloween/Collector Urchins. About 4 inches, plus the spines.