Top Shelf Aquatics

25 Lagoon broke. Moving everything.

Kurant

Long story short, renovating part of my home and we were moving the tank into the movie room. Contractors agreed to help me move it, we put the tank on the floor to go back and grab the stand, as 2 guys were moving a table saw into the room while tearing the floor up, one tripped on the riser where the theater seats were, table saw was dropped on the tank. cracked 2 panels and ripped part of a seam apart.

I found locally a Red Sea XL300. The lagoon was half full, all that water came out on my floor. Got the XL300 set up, used Dr Tims and followed their directions of putting fish in within 24 hours. It's been about 9 days now, fish are fine. I did not move any rock over as I had some Ulva in the tank.

When do I do a water change as it's still a bit cloudy? What else should I be looking for or doing? I've never set up a tank super quickly like this. 

• Wow 3

You need to monitor ammonia levels.  Bacteria cultures help, but it typically takes longer for the populations to become established enough to process a typical tank's bio-load.

I might get some Seachem Prime if levels are or become high.  I might also get an Ammonia Alert Badge to constantly monitor free ammonia.  Finally, I might also get some BIO-Spira, as an added bacterial assist.

I would have added the old rock, which contained established nitrifying bacteria colonies, and dealt with the algae later.  But unless the old rock has been in circulated saltwater, that isn't an option any longer.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kurant said:

I did not move any rock over as I had some Ulva in the tank.

@seabass,Would circulating these rocks in total darkness for like a month kill all Ulva?

if yes, @Kurant, could maybe run his tank with all his rocks in the/a sum will having plastic tubing in the tank for fish to hide in.

17 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

@seabass,Would circulating these rocks in total darkness for like a month kill all Ulva?

if yes, @Kurant, could maybe run his tank with all his rocks in the/a sum will having plastic tubing in the tank for fish to hide in.

IIRC Ulva can release spores, so that's a strong *maybe* from me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, seabass said:

You need to monitor ammonia levels.  Bacteria cultures help, but it typically takes longer for the populations to become established enough to process a typical tank's bio-load.

I might get some Seachem Prime if levels are or become high.  I might also get an Ammonia Alert Badge to constantly monitor free ammonia.  Finally, I might also get some BIO-Spira, as an added bacterial assist.

I would have added the old rock, which contained established nitrifying bacteria colonies, and dealt with the algae later.  But unless the old rock has been in circulated saltwater, that isn't an option any longer.

I get where you're coming from. But, Ulva has been a battle for going on more than a year in that tank, I would rather sacrifice a little time, it's only 2 fish, they seem to be fine. Ammonia has been in check thus far, I'm adding a capful of prime every other day, things are progressing well. I'm just not interested in dealing with Ulva going forward. I'd rather get the corals out, and moved into the new tank, and let the rock die.

I did get an ammonia badge, I forgot about those things. I've been testing with the Red Sea ammonia test. Tank finally cleared up today. It's just time now.

• Like 3

Awesome, I'm glad things are working out and that you are monitoring for ammonia. 👍

Some algae just seems more persistent than others, so I understand you wanting a reboot.  And sometimes that's a good plan.  Although having to improvise on the fly like you did doesn't make things any easier.

NoOneLikesADryTang
22 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

Would circulating these rocks in total darkness for like a month kill all Ulva?

While I don’t know the answer to this particular algae, I believe algae’s can sprout again, after seemingly being gone. Last year I bought a rock for a nano tank, from a guy in my local reefing club. He had bought a couple hundred pounds of live ocean rock, and had them in unlit bins for months (I don’t remember exactly how long, but I’m think it was 6+ months.) A couple months after setting the tank up, I had lots of macro algae start popping up.  Admittedly, I do have a heavy hand when feeding, but it was incredible the life that popped up from this five pound rock. Most of it has since subsided, but I still have red grape algae (Botryocladia Occidentalis) all over the rock. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1