Innovative Marine Aquariums

anemone in coral life 29 gallon biocube

bombom

I just got a reef about 3-4 weeks ago everything's been going great I got some easy lps and softies all doing and looking great some even noticeably growing new heads! I also got a bubble tip anemone it looks great and healthy but ive been told that my light isn't good enough and that it will die what should I do?

Unless that's a thoroughly established tank (over a year old), you should give it away, because anemones will generally die in new tanks. Also because the light probably isn't enough. Otherwise you're going to have to either heavily modify the biocube's hood, or remove it, add a mesh lid instead, and put a good-quality light over that. 

Once the tank is mature, you can try a rock flower anemone instead. They don't need as much light, and are decently hardy as anemones go. Also, they're smallish, so you can keep multiples. 

There are issues here, such as the tank being too new for how much is in it, and maybe the tank keeper as well being new.

I don't think the BioCube lights should be a problem though – light that's good enough to grow corals should be good enough to grow an anemone.

But...

An anemone is a fairly HUGE ANIMAL (in our scheme of things) and has appropriately huge nutritional requirements compared to corals we're familiar with.  And corals often struggle in new tanks as well, even with their lower requirements.

Check out Phosphate Excretion by Anemonefish and Uptake by Giant Sea Anemones: Demand Outstrips Supply

Even just the title gives you an idea that they have significant requirements for dissolved nutrients – especially phosphates due to the role it plays.

In a brand new tank, there is A TON of contention for any available dissolved nutrients because PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING in the tank is trying to bloom in order to populate the available space.

Plopping an anemone in the middle of that situation isn't the best idea....especially if it's your first tank, or first anemone.  Hence waiting for the tank to mature for .5-1 years.   An established reef has more for an anemone to eat and MUCH more predictable levels of nutrients, etc. 

• Like 1