Pod Your Reef

New 10 gal, power head and surface skimmer only

Ohmegg

4 hours ago, Fish out of Water said:

What a read. I cannot tell if you are the hero or protagonist, but I find myself rooting for you. Keep on keeping on!

Been trying to find a way to describe this! Actually loved reading this thread, the beginning with the guppies and stuff made him seem like a real villain, it’s almost like he’s taking the role of god in the tank lol

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Update. Left the 10 g nano reef tank and 20 g macro/Molly tank in the "care" of the spouse for a few months while away for work. 10 g had very little evaporation because of cover and a few half cups of RODI top off was administered without problem. No calk was added to the RODI. Interesting thing, my LPS are all doing well, possiliporas bleaching a bit, but the "favias" are doing awesome. This crazy algae is still thriving in this low nutrient system. New plan: Add some pollution. The macro tank still doesn't have this cladophora algae problem even when spouse let the evaporation go crazy in the big tank. Gonna tear down macro tank, stuff everything into the 10g, add an automatic fish food feeder to administer some food once every day. 

A9AC18B4-50D7-4AC9-B8AF-9FD9C07B56C9.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Woodini said:

Better quality light might help control the algae 👍🏿 

On the 10 g nano-reef I'm using an AI prime. 

1 minute ago, Ohmegg said:

On the 10 g nano-reef I'm using an AI prime. 

I don’t know about them, can you tune the spectrum and timing?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Success!! With Dolabella sea hare! 
Ok so even though the pic clearly shows lots of hair algae this is actually a great improvement. I wanted a cute little green sea hare but local seller only could get the ugly Dolabella that looks like a cross between a 💩 and something from a the Dark Crystal. But it's doing its job! It hides under rocks during the day but I know it's active at some point because I can see its poops. 10/10 recommend for serious hair algae problems. 

IMG_7100.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Truly amazing transformation by dolabela sea hare! Highly recommend but now I'm afraid he may starve 😬 

IMG_0224.jpeg