The Retreat 2.5

greenerdayz

greenerdayz

Well update: caulerpa everywhere!!! Was away from the tank for a bit and my grape caulerpa took over. Going to trim that back and then get to gluing! Also, there are some discs that have started forming on the glass (you can see them in the front right corner). What are these? Not coralline right?

image.jpg

• Like 1
greenerdayz

Picked up some more coral today- a rainbow acan, a bright green shroom, and some blue zoas. I really want to post pictures and such but my scape needs work and I am really frustrated by the lack of picture quality I can get😔 

going to rescape and post some pics anyway tomorrow

• Like 1
greenerdayz

Whole scape has been redone, and added a peppermint (Wurdemanni from ORA) to see if he will munch on some aiptasia and to add some action to the tank. Corals are angry but I will try to take some pics today

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
greenerdayz

Here is a very blue pic before coral bedtime, w a close up of the awesome green shroom (totally worth $25)

B76D382C-55CC-4950-AA89-D18BA0092D8A.jpeg

6694EDAA-4498-441A-8D57-B82D80029B2F.jpeg

• Like 2
greenerdayz

I have tested nitrate all along this journey, and have never had readable levels (using a salifert kit) even after heavy feeding the day before. I am worried this will be a problem, especially since I don't have a phosphate test kit right now

1 hour ago, greenerdayz said:

I have tested nitrate all along this journey, and have never had readable levels (using a salifert kit) even after heavy feeding the day before. I am worried this will be a problem, especially since I don't have a phosphate test kit right now

Nitrate tends to swing slowly and for whatever reason dry rock seems to really sink allot of N03 and P04 into it, causing algae and all sorts of oddities for the first year or so. You could try dosing with something cheap like Seachem's Nitrate.

• Like 2
greenerdayz

I didn't use dry rock though 🤷‍♂️ I am going to start feeding corals 1-2x a week and see if anything changes over the next few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
greenerdayz

Well I cut all my caulerpa out- and within 2 weeks dinos are everywhere 😞 I am getting a turkey baster and adding more biodiversity to help out-compete it but I am feeling real discouraged. UGH.

• Sad 1
greenerdayz

I am getting phyto tonight and I have been overfeeding the shrimp/snails like crazy- getting gracilaria tonight as well

• 1 month later...
greenerdayz

Have some livestock updates!

Added:

1x Greenbanded Goby (he is awesome!!!)

Aiptasia is gone! Peppermint did wonders

Red Gracilaria 

Added 2 TINY snails that look like limpets but with tall shells if that makes sense

Still fighting some dinos, but they seem less long and reddish brown and more clumpy/gray now. I dose some phyto 2-3x a week (love my pods haha) and feed pellets 2x and frozen 2-3x. It is a lot of nutrients but the gracilaria and what is left of the grape caulerpa love it! Corals are growing too- I have 2 new heads on the acan, the florida ricordeas are growing fairly quick too. Still can't figure out placement for the blue zoas but they are doing ok. The Leptastrea is weird; some days it looks great and others it looks uncomfy...

What is next:

- getting good pics and posting them!!!!!!!!!

- considering some high-light corals for the top flat rock and moving what is up there (the gorg up there almost never has more than 20% of its polyps out, it is clearly too bright)

- deciding whether I want to bump up to the 6 gallon this summer and restart figuring out everything😂

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
greenerdayz

Good news and bad news- tank went through some major neglect as I wrapped up my undergraduate degree in Organismal Biology!!! So: the glass was entirely coralline, there was red slime and all sorts of nuisance stuff everywhere. I spent like 4 hours yesterday cleaning this 8.5" by 9.5" little glass box... and it is clean!!! I scrubbed the rocks, cleaned out the overflow and pump and everything looks much happier (altho my acan literally doubled its heads) and the tank looks nice again. Still don't know why coralline only grows on glass and not on rocks but hopefully the scrub will help. Going to be ordering some new cleaners that are more appropriate for what I need and trading out the old ones. Also ordering some more coral!!! Idk what yet but will send pics when I do. (Thinking about trying out my first SPS but am unsure right now; tank is at 7 months and even w some neglect everything survived and seemed stable so🤷‍♂️)

P.S.- I have started thinking about what the logistics will look like for the 6 gallon 😈

• Like 2
greenerdayz

Ordered some frags! Got some sps and a pulsing xenia- they get here Tuesday so I will post some pics when they arrive and then after they settle

7DFD5ABB-FDAB-4BBD-A5EA-6BE529383DD4.png

• Like 2
greenerdayz

May have gotten hooked into the reef2reef live sale… got 2 more😁 A tangerine tango echinata and a tan lady lepto!

First 4 corals are here! They all look great and the neon birdsnest is especially🔥

Some red cyano is coming back ugh but still tweaking flow and scape to make sure SPS are happy- *takes deep breath* Its a work in progress😀

• Like 3