Cultivated Reef

Is my puffer a danger?

EddWaldo

Hi all. I’m sort of new to marine tanks, been a fresh water scrubs for too long. 

a few months ago I set up my 75 gallon tank. Cycled for 2 months. Then I added two Wyoming clowns and a bristletooth tang. The tang didn’t come out at all and just seemed to hide all the time. A week and a half later I added a Royal gramma, algae blenny and a valentini puffer with some hermits. 

a few days after adding the new fish my tang died but I believe this is due to it not feeding well and my friend saw it and said it was didn’t look good from the shop. But today now a week later I’ve just come home to my royal Gramma now dead, it was very young but seemed to be feeding well. 

but for a past week the puffer has just been following the clowns around everywhere they go and also pushes them to the sand trying to be close to them. 

firstly could the puffer have killed my gramma and secondly is the relationship it has with my clowns going to hurt them? They are the reason I got the tank and if the puffer would harm them then he would be gone tomorrow. 

the blenny just seems to be chilling on the rocks but he did used to use the same cave as the RG, maybe he could have squashed him?

any advice would be appreciated. 

also parameters good, only thing I am lowering tomorrow is salinity which is 1.026 and I want 1.024

thanks. 

Theres a good possibility the tang and royal gramma were just not healthy from the store. Did they come from the same store?

Its highly recommended to qt fish because if 1 has a disease, they often all end up with it.

Then you have to treat them all in a separate tank and allow the display tank to go fallow(fishless) for anywhere between 6-9 weeks, depending on the parasite. 

The puffer hanging with the clowns, i don't think its an issue if you aren't seeing aggressive behaviour.

12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Theres a good possibility the tang and royal gramma were just not healthy from the store. Did they come from the same store?

Its highly recommended to qt fish because if 1 has a disease, they often all end up with it.

Then you have to treat them all in a separate tank and allow the display tank to go fallow(fishless) for anywhere between 6-9 weeks, depending on the parasite. 

The puffer hanging with the clowns, i don't think its an issue if you aren't seeing aggressive behaviour.

Thank you. I’ve just had my friend look at the clowns and he said they need to fattened up a bit more but doesn’t see any visible signs of anything on them. 

going to get some mysis from the shop and feed them that for a few days now. 

Do you see anything wrong with them from the photos?

E1FCD7E4-A5ED-4297-8348-587C6292F88D.jpeg

EDDECEB1-564F-4A53-92CE-CD90B2DFE69D.jpeg

• 1 month later...